PDA

View Full Version : Not enough food !

miss muffit
05-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Hi I have just started looking after twins aged 18 months from 8.30 - 1.30

I provide a mid morning health snack and the parents are supposed to provide their packed lunch..todays is 3 pieces of bread...thats it no butter or filling or anything else for them to eat. :(

I asked Mum today if it would be easier for her, if i provided their lunch at the cost of £1.00 per day...she said its ok her and her hubby have got the menus for the week sorted and tommorow it will be a hot cross bun each...yep thats what it will be a dry hot cross bun each.:(

I know perhaps I should give them something out of my cupboards...but at the end of the day why should i.

let me know what you think?

Karen :)

ajs
05-03-2008, 12:13 PM
i think what i would do is feed them what mum sent then top it up with a yogurt and some fruit and tell mum when she comes that they ate much more and need more food
but they may not eat much at lunch
the two i have one could eat the contents of my fridge every day the other would be happy with a slice of bread and two slices of cucumber

the hungry one once sat in her high chair for three hours eating lunch, she is slow but not that slow and was just happily eating absolutely everything i gave her in the end i thought she'd burst so just stopped her, she still had tea and all the snacks offered too

sarah707
05-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Do you have a healthy packed lunch brochure you could give mum...? She needs to know that Ofsted expect us to offer each child food from all the food groups every day and that you are not meeting Ofsted requirements if we do not do that.

Of course you can reassure her that if the children do not eat what she provides, you will send it home so it is not wasted.

Ideas you could give her ... :D

http://www.nutrition.org.uk/home.asp?siteId=43&sectionId=1381&subSectionId=1123&parentSection=303&which=6

http://www.raisingkids.co.uk/food/fea106_packedlunches.asp

yummymummy
05-03-2008, 12:42 PM
As you only care for the children until 1.30 do you think that the parents intend the bread/bun to be a snack only and they give them lunch at home?
I would worry too if this was their only lunch so perhaps you could ask mum in the nicest possible way if this is what happens! :)

miss muffit
05-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Thanks i think i will have another word with Mum, today i have them untill 3.30 as Mum has to make up some time she lost when she was off sick.
I dont think 3 pieces of bread is going to last them, I will give them extra today and hopefully she will give them extra tomorrow.
I love this forum, you are all so helpful. :) :) :)

miffy
05-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Good luck with this - I feel really sorry for the little ones 3 pieces of dried bread yuk

Wonder what mum had for her lunch

miffy xx

fionamal
05-03-2008, 01:18 PM
I wonder if the mum would eat dry bread for lunch.

crazybones
05-03-2008, 01:22 PM
I have a 10 yr old mindee who comes in hols with 2 pieces of dry bread and a packet of crisps because that is all he eats. He wont eat anything I offer him. In the summer for example I will give them all a big fresh fruit platter in the garden and if they eat that they get a mini milk or our homemade lolly ices and he wont eat anything from the platter or even try so doesnt get the mini milk. He even said I prefer choc ices or cornettos anyway! Not on my budget mate! His mum was fine with my rules and said Dont worry, I understand you not giving in in front of the other children, Ill just buy him a cornetto on the way home!!!!!:angry:

Annie x

Twinkles
05-03-2008, 01:24 PM
I used to have one who came with very dry wholemeal bread ( never fresh ) with a dab of peanut butter in the middle - every single day!! This was when my son was small and I was making him something tasty for lunch every day. No wonder the poor little thing wanted what my son was having. In the end I just said to her mum that I would give her what Tom was having as I couldn't bear to see her watching him and trying to eat her disgusting lunch.
( I didn't put it quite like that to the mum ).

mamapink
05-03-2008, 01:40 PM
it makes you wonder what they will provide for them when they are at school

if the parent is working there will be no free meals so if they unwilling to pay for the food now problely will not do it when the child is older
so that leaves a packed lunch half filled with rubbish

do you think they are taking advantage sometimes peoples good nature knowing full well you will give them something ?

this forum is giving me an insight into how a few parents need a parents responablities policy

bye pink:o

Banana
05-03-2008, 02:01 PM
OMG

I would not be happy. I would tell mum that you cannot be expected to sit and watch children with dry bread or a hot cross bun for lunch... thats ridiculous.

I would tell her that the meals are not balanced and that if she cannot provide a balanced meal for her children then you will.... and you will charge her for it. Tell her that if Ofsted were to inspect you and see them having dry bread for lunch that they would not be happy with this and you are not happy with it either.

xx

Rubybubbles
05-03-2008, 02:20 PM
go banana agree completely with you:happy banana:

Mandy my lo 10 months is like that, it's a standing joke that I don't feed him as he will sit for so long at toddlers eating snack, even though like yesturday he had a banana at 10am at mine, then breadsticks followed by snack at toddlers, then all his lunch, I often think he'll pop!

wendywu
05-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Yes i was going to say get them to sign a statment that this the only food they send, and they dont want you to feed them any thing else.

Explain this if ofsted found you feeding only dry bread to children you would get into trouble under the neglect section of the safeguarding children act. This should shock them into action. If not then you have protected yourself.

Perhaps they think they are feeding the ducks not children.:rolleyes:

ma7ie
05-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Poor things, hope you manage to sort it. Good luck.

sarah32
05-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Karen

That isnt enough, dry bread, I wouldnt want to eat it.

See you tomorrow:)

crazybones
05-03-2008, 02:47 PM
we took half a loaf to the ducks today because it felt dry. Maybe I should of sent it to your parents. :p

Annie x

angeldelight
05-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Just catching up with this

Good luck hope you get it sorted

Angel xx

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
05-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Hope you get it sorted, don't forget to let us know what the mum said when she picks them both up.

Lorraine xx

Mags
05-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Dry bread...YUK!!!!! who on earth would want that. Even if they were to have lunch later....dry bread??????? surley anyone in their right mind would put something onto it.
Hope you can sort it out without too much fuss.

Mollymop
05-03-2008, 04:34 PM
Hope you manage to get it sorted ok! I am a bit shocked actually that some parents don't seem to give a stuff about what their kids eat or not eat, etc. Poor little ones would probably go hungry. I hope she feeds them something more filling when they get home after 1.30.

ajs
05-03-2008, 05:12 PM
go banana agree completely with you:happy banana:

Mandy my lo 10 months is like that, it's a standing joke that I don't feed him as he will sit for so long at toddlers eating snack, even though like yesturday he had a banana at 10am at mine, then breadsticks followed by snack at toddlers, then all his lunch, I often think he'll pop!

this morning she had an enormous bowl of ready brek and a banana and wanted my toast too
then at toddlers she had a big plate full of cheese toast and grapes at 10:30 then at 12:30 she had cheese, carrot cucumber and tomatoe
now she's eating orange and bits of cut up ham that my girls are eating and sharing with her.
do you think she's having a growth spurt

Annie_T
05-03-2008, 05:32 PM
i dont think thats enoght either, but you have tried tackling the parents with no joy at mo. poor kids not nice eating dry food, let alone not eating enough.

im sure it get sorted hun, x

miss muffit
06-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Hi Mum has actually made the twins a cheese and ham sandwich today and they also had a banana, my little talk to her worked thank you for all your comments :clapping: :clapping: k :) :) :)

Mollymop
06-03-2008, 05:09 PM
I am glad it worked!!!

Splish Splosh
06-03-2008, 05:10 PM
poor children...does make you wonder sometimes what goes on in their own homes, good luck and do hope you sort it for those children.

miss muffit
06-03-2008, 05:11 PM
So am I Sandra thanks :) :) :)

Michelle M
06-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Sounds like your chat worked, thank goodness :)
I agree that you have to wonder what they are getting to eat at home poor little loves.

miffy
06-03-2008, 10:59 PM
Hi Mum has actually made the twins a cheese and ham sandwich today and they also had a banana, my little talk to her worked thank you for all your comments :clapping: :clapping: k :) :) :)

That's better

Well done for talking to mum don't know what you said but it worked

Miffy xx

Heaven Scent
06-03-2008, 11:13 PM
I used to tell my children when they were little that naughty people in prison only got dry bread and water I knew that it was a huge big lie they get better fed than the kids on school dinners and a hec of a lot more to boot - Imagine giving that to your precious lambs? Did mum send the two hot cross buns as well as the cheese and ham sandwiches? Was it proper cheese and ham or processed cheese slices and cheap square ham? how do they expect their bodies and brains to develop?

Celine :angry: :angry: :angry:

angeldelight
07-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Glad you seem to have got it sorted out

Well done

Angel xx

miss muffit
07-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Hi Yes so am I... today they have a tin of vegetable soup :clapping: :clapping:

LittleMissSparkles
07-03-2008, 11:20 AM
only just read this thread and so glad mum took noticeof you :D

baby c who is now 14 months still brings baby jars for 7mth olds!!!! now and again his gran will make him a proper hot dinner and send that but when i get sent jars they go straight in my cupboard and I feed him porpoer food ... Yes i no i should nt but honestly it smells rank and tastes rank bless him.

she also send those baby fruit puree things !!!!!

xxx

charleyfarley
07-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Glad you seem to have got it sorted after your chat

Going back to the dry bread though. That's all my daughter will eat.

She doesn't eat butter at all, doesn't like it

I have tried her with things on her bread, ham, cheese etc but it's like she can't cope with the different things in her mouth at the same time
So her lunchbox for school consists of everything seperate, dried bread, cheese,cucumber.

I did mention it to the school when she started as dried bread is yuck and I'd heard them talking about how bad some of the lunchboxes are and didn't want them talking about me.

Parties are the worst as she is never able to eat a sandwich because of it, hopefully she may well grow out of it the older she gets.

Carol xx

LeeAnn
07-03-2008, 01:14 PM
my DS has to have his sandwiches seperate too, but he will take butter on his bread . All he will allow for lunch is a chocolate spread sandwich and 3/5 days it comes back untouched :rolleyes: I swear he has a stomach the size of a walnut!

the good thing is that she has changed what she is giving you for them and even a tin of soup is great as it is a hot meal for them! :clapping:

x x x x

deeb66
08-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Only just catching up with this one

I am glad that you have got it all sorted out.

miss muffit
08-03-2008, 04:55 PM
Hi ....So am I and thanks for your support :) :) :)

Splish Splosh
08-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Glad its sorted and she took notice of you and what you said, well done.x

RedDragon
29-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Been looking through lots of threads - hope no-one minds me renewing them (tell me if it's not the done thing).

I'm amazed sometimes at the stuff brought in for the children to eat (not talking about my little ones luckily - but over the years when visiting others etc have seen it.

The "favourites" I have found are tins of beans and sausage, value macaroni cheese, value lasagne, Billy bear with white bread.

I would prefer the parent to pay me a £ - for that they would get a lovely lunch or dinner.