PDA

View Full Version : Allowing children out to play whilst in your care

Zoemum2four
03-12-2009, 01:08 PM
I've had a new parent come and see me and it very possible that her children will coming to me as from January as after school care..... Mum has said that her daughter thats 11 has been aloud whilst with her last cm to go out with her mate rather than be in the cm house or with cm.......... Im not overly happy with this situation and have expressed this to mum, that i feel whilst she is with me she be within my eye sight, but mum has said that shes a sensible child ( which i dont dout) but i just dont feel comfortable with it and could never forgive myself if something was to happen..... The only thing i have suggested is, if mum really does want her child to go out with her mate, then she write me a letter saying she happy for her daughter to be out and about and that im not held responisble if anythink happens, have spoken to another cm whos says its allowed but she wouldnt do it......... Just need some feedback and advice, coz my gut feeling is saying NO but want can i do (apart from not having the child)if that what mum and child wants and how do i stand legally?

Chatterbox Childcare
03-12-2009, 01:26 PM
I have over 8's that play out the front of my house unsupervised and I have a letter from the parent authorising this.

However, who is your insurance with? MM do not cover you and that is why I went back to NCMA who do.

caz3007
03-12-2009, 02:13 PM
I have lots of other children knocking for my older mindies, but they arent allowed out to play and I have expressed to their parents, that it wont be allowed at any time in the future too and they are in agreement. Having said that, these children have been with me for a long time and I offer a flexible system for their parents, so I think they are happy to go along with whatever I decide. They do walk back to my house on their own, with written permission, but they have to be back here by a certain time or there will be hell to pay from me and their mums :panic:

LittleMissSparkles
03-12-2009, 02:25 PM
I do not allow children who I am caring for to leave my home and go outside unsupervised, if any thing happened to one of them I would feel accountable even if their was written permission in place from parents etc

Zoemum2four
03-12-2009, 02:28 PM
I have lots of other children knocking for my older mindies, but they arent allowed out to play and I have expressed to their parents, that it wont be allowed at any time in the future too and they are in agreement. Having said that, these children have been with me for a long time and I offer a flexible system for their parents, so I think they are happy to go along with whatever I decide. They do walk back to my house on their own, with written permission, but they have to be back here by a certain time or there will be hell to pay from me and their mums :panic:

I also have other older mindee that walk home from school to me with written permission but like u they have to be at my house by a curtain time otherwise im phoning them and their parents....

gigglinggoblin
03-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Are kids that age allowed to sign themselves out? If so you could get a letter to say she can sign herself out and you are then not officially looking after her at all while she is gone. I wouldnt do it, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, kids get up to a lot their parents dont know about.

youarewhatyoueat
03-12-2009, 06:23 PM
I really think it depends alot on where you live, there is a big difference living in a village where we all know each other and a town where an 11 year old may wander 2 or 3 streets away.
I would also be wary of her meeting with friends and going off to someone elses house, does she have a mobile so you can contact her.
If she is just going out the front of your house then I wouldn't have a problem but if she is just going to be wandering around with her mate then I would.Its your call, sounds like this one isn't going to work.

buildingblocks
03-12-2009, 06:23 PM
I know there are some who do this and that it works for them

But I am a nervous wreck if hubby is not home from work at the same time - the other week he had a meeting and forgot to tell me. only 15 mins late but I had him in a ditch and ambulances and police knocking on my door.

This is not something I would consider and if a parent was not happy with that then they would have to find a different childminder my business my rules I am afraid.

ChocolateChip
03-12-2009, 07:36 PM
I would be very wary, it's not always what the child themself would be up to but who else is wandering the streets around them. It only takes seconds for something to happen whilst out of your sight, I had this with a boy who got hurt by an older lad last year in full daylight in a park full of people, god knows what could happen in a quiet dark street in January.

miffy
03-12-2009, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't be happy with this either, even if parents had given written permission, I would still feel responsible.

Miffy xx

Zoemum2four
03-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks to you all, got parent coming back tomorrow, Im going to tell her im not happy for her daughter to go out without me and whilst shes in my care she will stay with me and in my sights......watch this space my not get children in january !!!!!!

miffy
03-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Good luck - you never know, parent might be more than happy for child to stay with you.

Let us know what happens

Miffy xx