PDA

View Full Version : How much are you expected to know?

Chell
02-12-2009, 08:06 PM
I am trying to fill in a booklet that I was given of questions that the inspector might ask at the pre-reg visit.

Am I expected to know all the answers or can I say that I'm not sure and ask their advice? I know they aren't trying to catch me out but I'm not 100% sure what they expect.

It is things like, 'how will I ensure information remains confidential?'. I'm not sure what OFSTED expect. I could say I'll have everything in a locked cabinet but perhaps I don't need to do this. I really don't know.

BTW, this is just one example of where I'm getting stuck!

sarah707
02-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Right answer! :clapping:

That plus not gossiping / keeping information confidential / getting permission before sharing information..

Do you have a copy of the Eyfs statutory requirements? That will help too.

It's mostly common sense but do ask if you are stuck :D

FizzysFriends
02-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Im not sure I didn't have that at my pre-reg but in answer to the example about I would keep all confidential information in a locked cupboard and may be put something about not giving out information about mindees.

Chell
02-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Right answer! :clapping:

That plus not gossiping / keeping information confidential / getting permission before sharing information..

Do you have a copy of the Eyfs statutory requirements? That will help too.

It's mostly common sense but do ask if you are stuck :D

Yes, I have the Statutory guidance and the practise guidance. There just seems so much info. :eek: I've also got the NCMA website open which is useful.

Next question:

What do I do if a children arrives with an infection or injury? I have the infection part covered but what about the injury? I'd discuss it with the parents and make a decision about whether I thought they were fit to stay but should I record details of the injury for my protection?

Polly2
02-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Yes you should fill in an existing injuries form to cover yourself :thumbsup:

sarah707
02-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Yes, I have the Statutory guidance and the practise guidance. There just seems so much info. :eek:

Get them both on the computer...

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/151379

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/84490

Then when you need to look something up just use control and f and put in key words.

It will save you time rooting through them! :D

Chell
04-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Oh, thanks for that. :thumbsup: I've been using the Bromley site you posted on another thread and the NCMA to start my policies as they relate to some of the answers on the form.:thumbsup:

You've been a great help. :clapping:

Chell
06-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Next.........

How will you encourage children to make good relationships with adults and their peers? How will you enable children to learn about valuing each other and understanding and respecting other cultures and beliefs?

I've answered the last part but not the first part of the question.

Thank you in advance. :thumbsup:

nannymcflea
06-12-2009, 05:54 PM
To help children engage with adults...do you, ensure you are there to talk for them if necessary, help other adults to understand their speech? Do you encourage them to answer questions from other adults themselves? Do you take them to toddler groups, meet other cm's so they can interact with other adults? Do they go to the shops and pay at the till, gaining confidence in talking to adults?