PDA

View Full Version : Preschool, need your opinions please . .

Twinkle
01-12-2009, 01:45 PM
:mad: The parents of one of my lo's went to a pre-school parent's evening. The lo is 3 and a half and is quite bright.

The pre-school expressed concern that he couldn't write his name yet and that he was the only one in his class who couldn't! He does have little interest in writing and letters but absorbs knowledge like a sponge and loves numbers. I've certainly got no concerns about his ability. The interest in letters and writing will arrive when he's ready.

Firstly I don't think school should be putting pressure on mum and dad or the lo about what he can't do and secondly I don't think they should be making comparisons across the class.

Am I thinking on the right lines or am I being a little over-protective? :D

TheBTeam
01-12-2009, 01:48 PM
When my dd was at preschool they said to me how refreshing it was to have a mum who wasnt constantly pushing her daughter to write her name, that accepted that she was a very bright girl and that all of the reading and writing would come in plenty of time. Even in our nursery they are not pushing name writing etc, they like them to recognise their name written, but believe the reading and writing is something to be taught when they get to school no matter how clever they are, this just makes it even easier for them when the time comes to do it.

My daughter is very bright, is encouraged but not pushed and is top of her year for reading and writing and is the first in the school to be put on free reading so young!

The Juggler
01-12-2009, 01:50 PM
absolutely crazy!!!!!!!!:angry: makes me so angry. then they wonder by boys are put off writing when they are older!!! children this age should be experimenting with marks through their drawing and being exposed to letters and numbers around then. Eventually they will want to do it. If I were those parents I would challenge the school. They should only be formally taught to write when they start reception (even then too young sometimes). Unless they are asking to do it, then that is different.

Some children, especially boys don't have enough muscle control for writing until 5 1/2, perhaps they should concentrate on his muscle development if they are really concerned, play doh and manipulative stuff!!

Personally if that were me I would reassure parents and ask if they would mind if I spoke to pre-school manager to challenge their concerns.

sorry, rant over:D

Ripeberry
01-12-2009, 02:15 PM
The pre-school sound a bit old fashioned :rolleyes: Have they not heard of EYFS? :D

youarewhatyoueat
01-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Get the mark making publication from dcsf,its free, its really good and has pictures of the marks children make and the development thats needed before being able to write.
http://publications.teachernet.gov.uk/default.aspx?PageFunction=searchresults&ft=00767-2008BKT-EN&pn=1&rpp=1&ShowHide=4&Area=1

perhaps you should order one for the pre-school as well !!!

Twinkle
01-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Thanks for the reassurance ladies, I did have a quick chat with dad last night at pick up and told him it was a load of tosh! Will have more of a chat with mum tonight too. I really should have more confidence in myself!

Louise_Oaktree
01-12-2009, 04:37 PM
My son is 4 and just missed out going to School this year as his birthday is in September. He can't write his name and I was worried as some of his peers can and most are younger than him. No one seems to be worried (apart from me) including my mother-in-law who is a retired teacher :rolleyes: so I am not worried either.

He seldom gets involved in any mark making so it's difficult for me to encourage him but my overall impression is that there is no need to worry. He loves books and stories and has shown early reading skills such as making up stories looking at picture books and he shows some wonderful imaginative play.

He too is more focused on numbers and can recognise written numbers and also his name which we have worked on.

Reception class teacher at the School I pick up from says lots in her class cannot write their name yet.

sarah707
01-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Ridiculous expectations from the pre-school! :rolleyes:

Children are children and need to play...

I suggest you loan them a copy of your Eyfs :D

miffy
01-12-2009, 06:09 PM
I think the mum and dad will be thankful for your reassurance.

Miffy xx