PDA

View Full Version : What else do you include in your fees?

sammykins
30-11-2009, 11:52 PM
I just wondered what other childminders include in their hourly fee.

I include:

Nappies/Wipes
All food and snacks including dinner
Outings and toddler groups (unless the parent specifically wants me to take their child to somewhere like tumble tots where its paid termly for instance.

Iam increasing my fees as from Jan as i realise my fee is actually quite cheap compare to others who charge an hourly fee and charge for meals and outings too on top.

Thanks Ladies /Men for your input?

Blaze
01-12-2009, 04:32 AM

I include:

Nappies/Wipes
Outings and toddler groups (unless the parent specifically wants me to take their child to somewhere like tumble tots where its paid termly for instance.

Iam increasing my fees as from Jan as i realise my fee is actually quite cheap compare to others who charge an hourly fee and charge for meals and outings too on top.

I don't include nappies/wipes - I ask parents to provide these - but I do keep spares & also have wipes for the setting in general IYSWIM.

I charge a fee for food & snacks - or parents can provide there own.

Toddler groups & outings I pay for & class as an expense - but for really big outings I ask parents to pay...say for example if I was travelling up to the London Aquarium.

It's your business - you need to decide your charges, being careful not to out price yourself, whilst not under-pricing yourself either...it is a fine line.

THT:)

jelly15
01-12-2009, 06:47 AM
I don't include nappies wipes etc but do include food. I pay for toddler group (which I attend) but parents pay for pre school group if they want child to attend but I pick up drop off.

The Juggler
01-12-2009, 07:29 AM
I have never included nappies/wipes but am going to charge for food after xmas - I think!:panic:

Straws
01-12-2009, 09:01 AM
I don't include nappies, wipes, creams, I pay for toddler groups and claim on expenses, I include lunch and snacks, evening meal is £1.50 if needed.

Straws xx

AliceK
01-12-2009, 09:25 AM

I include:

Nappies/Wipes

Hi
I'm the same as you. I include everything in my hourly rates. Meals, snacks, nappies, wipes, outings etc etc. All the parents have to bring each day is their child :) .
I think my rates are OK, they are inline with others in the area and I'm happy with what I earn so I won't be changing them for a while yet.

xxxxx

singingcactus
01-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Hi
I'm the same as you. I include everything in my hourly rates. Meals, snacks, nappies, wipes, outings etc etc. All the parents have to bring each day is their child :) .
I think my rates are OK, they are inline with others in the area and I'm happy with what I earn so I won't be changing them for a while yet.

xxxxx

Me too. For full time kids I also just charge a daily rate, to make the maths at the end of the month easier.

Blackhorse
01-12-2009, 12:55 PM
I include all outings even bigger ones as it is up to me if I want to take them there or not and dont want to not be able to go if one set of parents doesnt want to go.

I include snacks, breakfast if required (starting before 9am) and lunch.
I charge extra for dinner

I ask parents to provide formula milk should LO still need it and nappies and wipes

I do have spare nappies and wipes as well though ...

It is very hard for a new minder to charge the right amount and I alwasy get angry...some cm's get upset if you under-cut them or if you are new and still charge more than them...but hardly anyone is willing to share their fees so how exactly one can be in line with other local cm's is a mystery I still havent managed to solve. I know we all run our own business and can do what we want...but there should be still a better guide out there when you start up..I think anyways

madasahatter
01-12-2009, 01:46 PM
I include everything except nappies, formula milk and baby food. When babies are weaning I get parents to send homemade baby foods or jars.
I have always taken the stance that parents pay for me to care for their child in my home. If I choose to entertain their child by taking them elsewhere then I should not expect the parent to cough up any extra. However in the summer holidays when I've taken the big kids (over 8's) to theme parks etc my parents have usually offered to contribute (and I always manage to get 1/2 price entry anyway via some offer) and parents provide any 'spends' the children may need. Also when we go out in the hols and need a packed lunch I ask parents to make it, that way they can each carry their own rather than me making one big picnic hamper that I have to carry:p

Bitsy Beans
01-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Breakfast, drinks and snacks are included. Any costs for outings (say to a toddler group) I would claim as an expense. I charge £1.50 for an evening meal (which would normally be something like meat and two veg).

I don't supply nappies or wipes as standard (although I have wipes in the house for my own kids and for messy play etc) and baby food/milk for those under 1 I don't supply either.

AliceK
01-12-2009, 02:40 PM
I include all outings even bigger ones as it is up to me if I want to take them there or not and dont want to not be able to go if one set of parents doesnt want to go.

I include snacks, breakfast if required (starting before 9am) and lunch.
I charge extra for dinner

I ask parents to provide formula milk should LO still need it and nappies and wipes

I do have spare nappies and wipes as well though ...

It is very hard for a new minder to charge the right amount and I alwasy get angry...some cm's get upset if you under-cut them or if you are new and still charge more than them...but hardly anyone is willing to share their fees so how exactly one can be in line with other local cm's is a mystery I still havent managed to solve. I know we all run our own business and can do what we want...but there should be still a better guide out there when you start up..I think anyways

The old FIS website was great as listed all the CM's and they usually put their hourly rates on there, this is where I got my info from before I actually started. Now though the DirectGov website is worse than useless at the moment so can't get any info from that at the mo :angry: Don't even think I'm listed or at least if I am it'll probably say I live 20 miles away from where I do!!!

xxxx

xxxx

youarewhatyoueat
01-12-2009, 02:42 PM
I don't supply nappies, wipes or meals, I do supply snacks, but most parents when packing the packed lunch also add extra for snacks.
I do pay toddler groups as taking 3 children only costs 2.50 out of my £12 per hour so can't complain really and the children centre is free.
My only big expense which I don't charge for is petrol which probably costs me £20 a week going to the groups.
I do have spare wipes in the house and just bought a 6 pack for £3 in boots on offer so that should last a while.

mama2three
01-12-2009, 02:54 PM
I do charge for toddler groups atc. its only £2.50 but as ive only started part way through this year and so wont earn enough to pay tax it wouldnt benefit me to put it through as expenses. I dont include formula milk or nappies , but do include wipes etc. snacks and lunch are included but i wish i hadnt offered lunch and asked all parents to provide it. It really is a steep learning curve isnt it?

Mrs Argyle
01-12-2009, 05:07 PM
Only my care is included in fee's, everything else is supplied by parents including pocket money for outings, my fees are in line with this area and my books full all parents happy with this.

mrs c
01-12-2009, 05:51 PM
I ask parents to provide food/nappies/wipes for their child. I do pay for toddler groups and soft play and this is inline with most other childminders in my area.

Cazz
02-12-2009, 10:35 AM
I ask parents to provide food/nappies/wipes for their child. I do pay for toddler groups and soft play and this is inline with most other childminders in my area.

I'm the same - except I will provide food if required at an extra cost. Prefer them to bring their own though and all but one do :thumbsup:

flora
02-12-2009, 10:59 AM
The only thing included in my hourly rate is me :D :D

By the time you take off all the odds and sods I cannot afford to include anything but my time :thumbsup:

As Blaze says, each to their own :thumbsup:

loocyloo
02-12-2009, 12:29 PM
me! and all my toys/resources/experience!

all outings etc to toddler groups, soft play etc. i was going to charge for big trips in the holidays, but irather than ruin a whole planned day out, by one parent saying no, i have decided to include it! ( but may charge a little more for whole day care in holidays? haven't decided yet! )

parents supply nappies & wipes, but i have plenty of spare nappies & wipes!

i charge for meals. parents supply babies food/milk. i don't charge for snacks.

x

sammykins
02-12-2009, 11:18 PM
ok thats good to know, thanks.

I just wondered as alot of c/m in my area dont include nappies and wipes and charge for meals and outings, and i was just seeing the difference in fees, as i like to think i give a good deal and i like to justify my fees (to myself), i feel my hourly fee sounds a little higher than others but then with what i include and they dont sounds about fine to me.

So i will go ahead and increase my fees for an extra 50p an hour as from jan, as i havnt increased my fees in 2 years with the same parent.

charliegee
02-12-2009, 11:29 PM
me! and all my toys/resources/experience!

all outings etc to toddler groups, soft play etc. i was going to charge for big trips in the holidays, but irather than ruin a whole planned day out, by one parent saying no, i have decided to include it! ( but may charge a little more for whole day care in holidays? haven't decided yet! )

parents supply nappies & wipes, but i have plenty of spare nappies & wipes!

i charge for meals. parents supply babies food/milk. i don't charge for snacks.

x

This is the same as me now....although I do charge for snacks

really useful to hear what others do - love this forum! x

Chatterbox Childcare
02-12-2009, 11:55 PM
My time and toddler groups really

Everything else the parents pay for but I do have wipes around the house

greanan
03-12-2009, 02:10 PM
i provide lunch and snacks in my hourly rate, trips to toddler groups, soft play etc i also include in hourly rate. i ask the parenst to supply their own nappies, wipes, baby food/milk. but do keep spare nappies and wipes

ChocolateChip
03-12-2009, 07:47 PM
The only things my parents supply are nappies, personal toiletries, nappycream, suncream, etc.
Everything else, even trips and outings is included, except that I do ask for £1.00 towards a cooked tea for after schoolies, and the under ones bring their own food/ milk until they are onto 'proper' foods.
If someone wanted me to take a child to tumbletots, music club etc. then they would have to pay the fees there as it would cost more than I earn, and I don't attend those groups myself.