PDA

View Full Version : Advice for pre-reg or potential CMs

Helen Dempster
29-11-2009, 11:27 PM
I was just wondering, if there was one piece of advice you would like to give to potential childminders, what would it be? And what was the best piece of advice you yourselves were given?

H x

nokidshere
30-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Don't do it!! :laughing:

Joking obviously ;)

Do not underestimate how much hard work it is! It is definitly NOT the easy option some people seem to think!

The Juggler
30-11-2009, 07:27 AM
Make sure you get your fees and holidays sorted at the start as they are hard to change later if you keep the same parents.

Also, have firm policies on payments etc, ensure parents know about them and preferably get paid in advance by standing order!

Have a good CM friend to advise and keep you company when things are tough!

sarah707
30-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Do not feel you have to say yes to every family that comes to see you!

Follow your instincts - if it feels wrong, it usually won't work out.

Good luck! :D

Blackhorse
30-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Get paid in advance.

Be prepared for the changes of being self employed...no secure income and not knowing when you will actually have the first mindee...although you might be lucky and be full soon..

Registration can be a really quick and easy process or long and drawn out even if YOU yourself have done verything to ensure it goes quickly and smoothly

and one of the most important things:D :
Join this forum!...

mama2three
30-11-2009, 08:32 AM
you beat to me to that nicole , my advice - get support , especially from this forum!!

Bananabrain
30-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Don't do it!! :laughing:

Joking obviously ;)

Do not underestimate how much hard work it is! It is definitly NOT the easy option some people seem to think!

I'd go along with that Nokids.
People always gasp when I tell them what we have to do.
Reckon alot of people still think it's 'easy money':laughing:

youarewhatyoueat
30-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Get out every morning after the school run to a toddler group or childrens centre, home for lunch and then sleep/ quiet time. I survive on routine!!! Don't think you have to do full time, 3/4 days is enough and if you only want to do term time if you have your own children then do as it will suit some parents.