PDA

View Full Version : no sandwichs

mushpea
29-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Have a little boy comming back to me this week who when ever he eats sandwichs is always sick, i will once again be working with the parents to find out the cause and keeping a food diary etc but was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what i could give him for lunch that isnt a sandwich, it has to be a cold type lunch, it thougt of

mini sausages, fruit and yoghurt
sausage rolls

and then couldnt think of anything else, he is a very funny eater and the pead has told mum that it is attention seeking but he only seems to do it at mine or at the nursery then occasionaly at home and always seems to be with sandwichs and fruit too, he can eat crisps, cake and any other rubbish foods but nothing healthy!!

tashaleee
29-11-2009, 03:27 PM
crackers
crackerbread
pitta bread
muffins
crumpets
wraps
raisins
breadsticks
cheese sticks
cucumber sticks
cherry tomatoes
cheese crackers eg ritz (lots of different ones about but probably not 'that' healthy)

am sure there is loads more but my hungover brain is not fully in gear :blush: :laughing:

Carpet Monkeys
29-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Just a thought but have you tried making sandwiches in the shape of say a teddy bear or a boat, getting him to help you?

Cheese on Toast, Baked Beans on toast, scrambled eggs on toast. Cold Pizza
Veggies with a dip, Chicken skewers prepared the night before, vegetable crisps, cereal bars, hard boiled egg.

mushpea
29-11-2009, 04:22 PM
wow thanks tashalee lots of great suggestions there.

and yes lkl_fawcett i have tried shapes and cutting them up real small and also giving him one small finger and saying if he eats it nicley then he can have some crisps or somthing he does like, the thing with him is you can see him making his stomache squeeze so that he makes himself sick, one time he had this really winy bight of sandwich and didnt even swallow it and he started the belly squeezing, i did say a big sharp NO and he stopped then ate his sandwich ok so it could just be attention seeking i suppose

TheBTeam
29-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Sounds like attention seeking, especially if he can eat toast, it isn't likely to be an allergic reaction to the bread!

Maybe he can not handle the texture of bread, I had an 18 month old that would not eat bread, he couldn't seem to handle the texture of it.

miffy
29-11-2009, 04:30 PM
How old is he?

Is it just bread he does this with or will he eat toast, crackers etc?

If he's old enough he could help make his own sandwiches and see if that's any better

Good luck

Miffy xx

The Juggler
29-11-2009, 05:01 PM
what about instead of the bread, some pasta. nothing fancy, just plain to eat with your normal sandwich fillings, ham, chicken, egg, cheese?

tashaleee
29-11-2009, 07:28 PM
I was wondering how old the little boy is?

rachelle
29-11-2009, 08:15 PM
I can't eat sandwiches - it's something to do with the texture of the bread with things on - I will happily eat a salmon and cucumber or egg mayo sarnie but anything else makes me shudder! - so could just be a quirk! Will he eat toasted sarnies? I have no problem with these :rolleyes: !

terrydoo73
29-11-2009, 08:53 PM
what about fish fingers?

Heaven Scent
29-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Have you tried different types of bread - or instead of sandwiches cut up some bread and put the filling on the side on the plate.

mushpea
30-11-2009, 06:56 AM
he is 3yrs in january and this started just before he came to me in september last year, his mum lost her job and so he stopped comming in october and she has now found another job so he is comming back but he has also started at leapfrog nurserys and does it there too.
i have tried loads of different fillings, and shapes of bread and also different types ie seeded , plain etc and he does it with them all, he will also do it with fruit so i do wonda if its him saying he dosent want the food , he can talk quite well now tho.
i am going to keep a food diary and ask the parents and leapfrog to do the same, he only comes here 2 days a week for a few hours so its hard to get a full picutre of what he will and wont eat or can and cant eat iyswim.

littletreasures
30-11-2009, 07:45 AM
My mindee is 3 1/2 and will not eat sandwiches. Mum and I have tried all sorts. At one time she would make him a sandwich and when it was lunch time I would toast it, and he would eat it that way.

He loves having a boiled egg and I do him a slice of bread and butter to have with this and he will eat bread that way. How about trying just some bread and butter and have the filling on the side of the plate.

J will eat bread and butter that way but not with the filling inside.

youarewhatyoueat
30-11-2009, 01:24 PM
One of my children did this when I made sandwiches with cheap white bread and butter as it tends to go slimy. But was fine with brown bread or better quality bread, she still prefers granary to white and she's 13 now.

tashaleee
30-11-2009, 07:27 PM
I had a problem with a 2 1/2 year old who went totally off sandwiches and it turned into a nightmare (had her since under 1) - mum was supplying the food at the time so I know it wasnt anything I did - we worked out that if I provided the food (as I did for all the others) then she would eat anything I gave her PROVIDED I gave her a choice - and she prefers crackerbread with cheesespread over anything else :rolleyes: She will eat sandwiches sometimes if I tell her I forgot to go to the shops though :laughing:

Can you give the child a choice as to what they would like for lunch? Might help?

babs
30-11-2009, 07:33 PM
what about wraps.....

mushpea
30-11-2009, 08:08 PM
I had a problem with a 2 1/2 year old who went totally off sandwiches and it turned into a nightmare (had her since under 1) - mum was supplying the food at the time so I know it wasnt anything I did - we worked out that if I provided the food (as I did for all the others) then she would eat anything I gave her PROVIDED I gave her a choice - and she prefers crackerbread with cheesespread over anything else :rolleyes: She will eat sandwiches sometimes if I tell her I forgot to go to the shops though :laughing:

Can you give the child a choice as to what they would like for lunch? Might help?

I will give this a go thanks, i did do this last time i had him , i made a sandwich ( acutualy for me) and showed him that and a sausage roll and said which would you like and he said 'no ta' and walked off!!, he is couple months older now so will try again, my other thought is that he is not a big lunch eater as i know mum gives him a big breakfast and that he eats both his tea and his mums tea but because then he is a big lad for his age.