PDA

View Full Version : how do you decide you are too ill to work?

mozarella
29-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Hi
Have had the flu along with my husband and son which we cought from the LO i look after ( i posted other posts about it)
Have been off last week already ( i only work two days) i am supposed to be back to work tomorrow but i am not sure i am well enough tolook after two children + mine and school run and H will probably be home too as he is really unwell

When do i tell the parent i cannot work? i may feel better by this evening but I might not, am losing money too which we really cant afford to lose but I really dont know if i can do a full working day tomorrow

What would you do?

Moz

FizzysFriends
29-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Last week when I was feeling ill but not really ill and unsure what to do I texted and warned parent I was feeling off, she offered to make other arrangements so we went with that option.

Rubybubbles
29-11-2009, 09:55 AM
I took from Friday through to the following friday off with Flu, I still don't feel great but am lucky not to be too busy and parents more than happy for lots of free play so I can still rest

If you don't feel right don't work, I thought on Friday I felt much better then wnet back for a nap 10:30am-2pm:eek: lol

Hope you feel better soon

TheBTeam
29-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Not sure, so far I haven't needed to put parents off. I seem to be able to keep going, there have been a few times if i was going off to work in an office that i wouldn't have done, but have carried on childminding.

I would let them know earlier today rather than later if you really are not up to it. I was so ill when my daughter was 7 months and would not have been able to work for about a month, very luckily I have not had anything like it since.

Tam's Tribe
29-11-2009, 02:13 PM
Hun, I am sorry you are not feeling well.

Only you know if you are up to minding tomorrow, and if you decided you cant then I would give the parents as much notice as possible.

Personally, I will only not work if my head is down a toilet, basically as I have only been minding for a while, I need to money.

I hope you feel better soon and take care of yourself.

Lovies
Tam
x

margimum
29-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Being self employed means working when you would'nt if you were in a different job iyswim!
Several years ago I had a hernia op and was back to work the next day:eek: :eek:
Luckily?? I usually get ill at the weekend and manage to keep going through the week, but earlier this year I actually had to take a whole week off with infected tonsilitis.:(
Just give parents as much notice as you can. you could warn them you will probably not work so they can have a backup ready but if you are able, will phone in the morning?

miffy
29-11-2009, 04:36 PM
I'd agree to give the parents as much notice as you can if you think you're not going to be able to work.

Sometimes that means that you take an extra day off when perhaps you didn't need to................

Hope you're feeling better soon

Miffy xx

Bitsy Beans
29-11-2009, 06:46 PM
I ended up working on Friday and felt veeeeeeery rough but better than the evening before. It was the longest day ever but I need the money (especially since I will lost a days wages for Xmas day etc). Not had flu but a hideous cold (which is still lingering) so I am relying on drugs to get me through :laughing:

Hope you feel better soon (along with the rest of your brood). I guess only you can decide whether you can cope or not.

mozarella
29-11-2009, 07:22 PM
thanks and sorry didnt reply earlier, just been to unwell and under the duvet ! It is the flu i got from the children so the mum knows how i feel

spoke to her earlier and we decided i will do thgursday and friday instead of tomorrow and tuesday which suits me as i already lost last weeks money and cant afford to lose this week and i am off to france for the xmas holidays so less pay again, i really hope i will feel better by the end of the week

moz

chels55
29-11-2009, 07:51 PM
\that gives u a bit more time to recover. It is hard deciding when to have the time off as i feel im letting the parents down but you have to look after yourself

Ripeberry
29-11-2009, 09:23 PM
When the Lemsips don't work and I feel too ill to drive. Or worse case scenario I'm being sick as that would be the winter vomiting bug and I have to close anyway.