PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone any suggestions please

Anne66
27-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Where do I start? I have a little boy who I have cared for since Jan 09 he is know 19 months. For the last 6-7 months he has been having temper tantrums. Ok as childminders we all experience these but this child is really something else to what I have experienced over the last 6 years. He can constantly cry over anything usually things that I have to deal with regarding rules and boundaries which all the other children have to do nothing is different for this little boy. He seems to know exactly what he is doing challenges me constantly even though I am consistant with how I deal with him. He has now stopped hitting and smashing things which is an improvement but constantly never seems to be happy with anything that I have to tell him. I have tryed everything distraction methods no good I have always payed no attention to this inappropriate behaviour but he still is displaying these signs. I have spoken to his mum but to be honest he is probably worse for her and she has expressed her concerns of him being an handfull. I don't know what else to do to be honest I am starting to think that he could possibly have some sort of problem. But how much longer do I let this continue to happen? Do I just ignore it and hope he adjusts I just don't know any feedback would be great. All I want is for him to be able to have more of an enjoyable time when he is with me. thanks Anne

Twinkles
27-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Not sure this is in the right place. I'm sure a mod will be along soon to move it for you and you are sure to get more answers :thumbsup:

Just a thought how is his speech and other development ?

One of my lo's was a nightmare but as soon as he had grommets fitted he was like a different child.

Pauline
27-11-2009, 12:39 PM
I will move it to minding chat :)

miffy
27-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Just a thought how is his speech and other development ?

One of my lo's was a nightmare but as soon as he had grommets fitted he was like a different child.

I think it's definitely worth checking out that there's no medical problems that could be causing his behaviour.

Miffy xx

cuffleygirl
27-11-2009, 01:35 PM
is it worth keeping a food and drink diary - colourings or additives can be found in the strangest places?

Anne66
27-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Childs learning and development seems fine in fact he seems very forward for his age his food is provided by his parents I can't think of anything else. Thanks Anne

sarahlou
27-11-2009, 05:33 PM
I have had a child for 2 years who has displayed behaviour ur describing and it has been a nightmare for all of us - he has now been diagnosed with adhd but it has taken 2 years of battles, throwing, kicking, spitting etc etc - it may be worth looking into but u need the parents on board to do this my parents were fab and we have worked through it together

nannymcflea
27-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Sometimes bright children can get very frustrated. Can you give him stuff to do for older children(within the safety aspect), perhaps see what range jigsaw he can do, regonising and counting numbers, letters etc and see where you go from there.
If he is gifted then you can find some stuff on the internet from a gifted and talented website.

Children with Aspergers can also be very bright and how behavioural issues.

I'd assess his abilities and needs then go from there. Good luck.

nikjam
27-11-2009, 07:23 PM
Hi,

What a day eh? Just a quick thought re food diaries, even though the parent supplies the food might it not be worth just recording it, just to see if there is a pattern? Speaking as the parent of an ex lactose intolerant 3 year old I know how much an intolerance can affect a child. Also are you keeping note of this on a daily basis? It maybe helpful if the child is referred for assessment at a later date??
I really hope things improve, this job is hard enough some days!

Nikki

Anne66
28-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Thanks everyone for replies If this child does have an underlying problem how do I go about approaching the parent with this? I could perhaps mention first the diet and try to rule that out first.I think what I might do is get some more info on ADHD and Asperges for my reference see if he's perhaps showing any simalarities and then go from there because to be honest I really have never experienced this sort of behaviour on a constant basis from a child so young. Thanks again Anne