PDA

View Full Version : Fed up with it all already

Tatjana
27-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Thought i'd finally got there after all the stress of getting registered, finding my one and only mindee, getting to grips with the EYFS obs etc and then getting a 'GOOD' for my inspection.

I had the hygiene man out recently, omg did it go on, he was here for ages, looking through my cupboards, down the sides looking for pest evidence, questioning me about everything, I got really sick of it, felt like telling him to leave my house at one point.

Then yesterday I received my 'report' I've got a 2 Star certificate, plus a million and one things to do, go on a course which costs £65, also meaning taking time off work, unpaid of course so really costing me much more. I need to buy a food temperature probe, keep a record of fridge temps, wear hair nets and so much more I'm getting wound up just thinking about it.

I wanted to be a childminder not a food business, this is truly ridiculous:panic: :angry: :( :(

If I say i'm only going to supply cold food eg sandwiches and salads does it get any better?

I can't afford to keep buying more stuff for all this hygiene side of things, I'm really fed up with it.:mad:

xx

LOOPYLISA
27-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Hair nets :eek:

Sorry made me giggle, i know its not funny hun, thank goodness i gave up minding when i did, seems to be getting sillier :rolleyes: x

sarah707
27-11-2009, 11:11 AM
Get yourself a copy of... Safer food better business for childminders from here -

http://www.food.gov.uk/enforcement/enforceessential/startingup/childminders/

You can also order a hard copy.

Have a read through the requirements...

Then challenge the silly man! :rolleyes:

We DO NOT need to wear hair nets! Aprons are good practice, but not statutory either.

Under the new regulations for childminders we need to check things are ok... then write a note if things change.

It's all much easier.

He clearly has not read the latest guidance.

Pm me if I can help any more - I've just researched to write something about food safety :D

Blaze
27-11-2009, 11:11 AM
You can do the course online - it's posted in the forum (& it's cheaper)...feed probes/fridge freezer thermometers you can get cheap of ebay - the forms you can get free in the safer food better business pack for CM's...as for hairnets, disposable aprons & gloves as compulsary - well that's a new one:panic: & I would appeal!:thumbsup:

LOL we posted at the same time Sarah!

Tatjana
27-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Thank you Sarah.

I honestly have had enough of it:(

xx

Ripeberry
27-11-2009, 11:15 AM
OMG! That's ridiculous :( And you said you only cater for one mindee. I've not even thought about sorting out my cupboards :eek: And as for the fridge, can't get it out anyway :o
Lucky he did not come to my house a few weeks ago when our cat let a mouse loose in the kitchen :cool:
If all the inspectors do this then I think that food cooked and provided by childminders will be a thing of the past :(

ORKSIE
27-11-2009, 11:17 AM
We are not checked YET:eek:
I'm sure the day will come:(
Hair Nets...How ridiculous:D

Bananabrain
27-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Tatjana, I sympathise my lovely.
They came to me yesterday,was wondering if I was gonna get a star thingy too. I got a bit cross because she was a real 'jobsworth' and I've had a pants week!
Wasn't happy with wooden chopping board{even tho' I mostly use others} said I had to get coloured ones like restaurants.
My fridge is more than cold enough but my thermometer isn't working and I have to get a food probe {despite being told that I didn't need one by same dept}
She said that you musn't let children 'lick the bowl' after making cakes and I told her that was nonsense as generations of children have done it and the chances of getting salmonella are remote.
Had an argue ment about food receipts because she told me on the phone that you don't need to keep them at all and when I pointed out in the NCMA handbook where it clearly says you do; she got all shirty and said she didn't say it!!!:angry:
All in all it was a fun morning, and she got cross because I took the mickey out of the SFBB book. The bit where it says 'don't give young children swordfish,shark or marlin'
Told her that was a shame because I caught a lovely marlin when I was on hols in Florida and was gonna rustle it up tonight!
No sense of humour,some people:laughing:

FussyElmo
27-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Gosh am I glad we had a lovely inspector none of this star thingys. She even gave me a new fridge thermometer as ds had broke mine. The one who did mine even said she couldnt even begin to compare cm's to a food business so we so obiviously werent.

Ripeberry
27-11-2009, 12:31 PM
No consistency....wait a minute, sounds like Ofsted! :D

Tatjana
27-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Tatjana, I sympathise my lovely.
They came to me yesterday,was wondering if I was gonna get a star thingy too. I got a bit cross because she was a real 'jobsworth' and I've had a pants week!
Wasn't happy with wooden chopping board{even tho' I mostly use others} said I had to get coloured ones like restaurants.
My fridge is more than cold enough but my thermometer isn't working and I have to get a food probe {despite being told that I didn't need one by same dept}
She said that you musn't let children 'lick the bowl' after making cakes and I told her that was nonsense as generations of children have done it and the chances of getting salmonella are remote.
Had an argue ment about food receipts because she told me on the phone that you don't need to keep them at all and when I pointed out in the NCMA handbook where it clearly says you do; she got all shirty and said she didn't say it!!!:angry:

All in all it was a fun morning, and she got cross because I took the mickey out of the SFBB book. The bit where it says 'don't give young children swordfish,shark or marlin'
Told her that was a shame because I caught a lovely marlin when I was on hols in Florida and was gonna rustle it up tonight!
No sense of humour,some people:laughing:

LOL good for you for taking the mick!

Coloured food boards????? Doesn't matter if they're clean or not, as long as they're coloured they will be fine huh:eek:

xx

Miriam
27-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Hairnets! All getting totally ridiculous. Hope I dont get a call to say they want to come to me! :eek:

Twinkles
27-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Good grief ! Tatjana :panic:

You're in Crawley aren't you ?

I'm in Redhill hope they don't come to me with that attitude :angry:

I shall say ;

' Of course I pressure wash the kitchen surfaces with bleach every time I use them. Hair nets ? Aprons ? Don't you all wear Bio suits ?? '

Well I won't actually say that but I'd like to :laughing:

Tatjana
27-11-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm in North London.

I wonder if the mindees have to have hair nets too for when we do baking etc....i can see the horror in their faces if I told them small children would be preping food with me!!!!!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Twinkles
27-11-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm in North London.
I wonder if the mindees have to have hair nets too for when we do baking etc....i can see the horror in their faces if I told them small children would be preping food with me!!!!!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Oh sorry , got you mixed upwith someone else :D

Maybe we will have to send the children on food hygiene courses before we can do cooking with them :laughing:

sarah707
27-11-2009, 02:19 PM
LOL good for you for taking the mick!

Coloured food boards????? Doesn't matter if they're clean or not, as long as they're coloured they will be fine huh:eek:

xx

It is good practice to have 2 boards... one for raw meat and one for other stuff.

If the raw meat one is red, you'll always remember it is that one you use.

It's basic cross contamination stuff (like not drinking out of the milk bottle and not putting dirty washing on the kitchen side) and a sensible thing to have for your own family, even if you weren't childminding.

:D

Tatjana
27-11-2009, 02:27 PM
I have 3 chopping boards, one for meat, one for veg and the other for dh!

xx

Ripeberry
27-11-2009, 03:53 PM
I've got flexi board chopping boards, white (for fish), red (for meat), green (for vegetables) and blue for (cooked meats).
I have a red handled knife for meat and blue for cooked meat. I've also got a thermometer for the fridge and a food probe (that I've hardly ever used) but I have used it when cooking joints or whole chickens.
So I think I'm ready for them, but a bit shocked that they would actually LOOK inside the cupboards! :eek:

Zoomie
27-11-2009, 05:50 PM
I have 3 chopping boards, one for meat, one for veg and the other for dh!

xx

You chop DH :eeeek: :eeeek: :eeeek:

Blaze
27-11-2009, 06:49 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

...was thinking the same Zoomie - maybe we should rename her Bobbit!:D

jumpinjen
27-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Oh that's so funny...... say yes, you chop him, but only if he's been REALLY bad!!

jenni:laughing:

Winnie
27-11-2009, 06:53 PM
what an awful experience for you, scary too :eek:
i'd look like Ena Sharples in a hairnet :laughing: as for different coloured chopping boards- the plastic type, well i got a set then we were told we didnt need them just to use a clean one with every different food type- meat, fish, fruit...etc etc wish people would make up their minds :rolleyes: i do not have a food probe, but i do not cook large bits of meat anyway, its not neccessary to probe baked beans is it? :D

Blaze
27-11-2009, 06:55 PM
You should probe all hot food to make sure it is 70 degrees or above.:thumbsup:

Tatjana
27-11-2009, 07:52 PM
I must love being wound up as i've just re read the report and it constantly refers to my 'food business' I do not run a food business AARGGGHHH:panic: :angry:

BTW, the chopping board for dh is for when he's very naughty, it's a step up from the naughty chair :laughing:

xx

Bitsy Beans
29-11-2009, 07:00 PM
I had my food safety course yesterday (hosted by a bloke who used to work for Environmental Health as an inspector). He told me that as CM's were are unlikely to be inspected although we have to be registered with local authority. He made the point about an apron and a hair net although he never mentioned it being compulsory.

the ironic thing is he was on and on about using antibacterial sprays as soap and water doesn't kill bacteria and yet my Ofsted inspector was moaning her head off about the over use of antibac sprays and how she loved the fact that one creche she inspected - in a hospital) only used detergent and very hot water. So do I listen to Ofsted or Environmental Health ;)

Lady Haha
29-11-2009, 07:12 PM
This just gets more and more ridiculous doesn't it!!!! I have got diff coloured chopping boards, food probe, fridge and freezer thermometers. I thought I was more than prepared! But hair nets? And I would be shut down on the spot if they looked through my cupboards!:laughing:

On the other hand though, a few years back I worked on my own in a pub kitchen. I had never been sent on a food and hygiene course and didn't have a clue about most of that stuff! We got inspected and I did the best I could under the circumstances! Asked how I knew if food was cooked, I said I stuck a knife in it and if it came out burning hot, I knew food was cooked (learnt from my mum!) and I had a vague idea about raw meat on bottom of fridge etc! Well, we passed, so I suppose it just depends on who inspects you!

mozarella
29-11-2009, 07:33 PM
that sounds harsh, in my borough we just need to attend a course which is free and i will go this wednesday ( providing i am not ill anynore)

Blaze
29-11-2009, 10:15 PM
You should probe all hot food to make sure it is 70 degrees or above.:thumbsup:

Sorry just realised I typed 70 - I meant to type 75 degrees!