PDA

View Full Version : Another stupid question from me!

JO S
04-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question but not sure if I have the correct info.
I know I need a visitors book and that parents of mindees need to sign drop off and pick up times, but a minder friend of mine says I need to sign myself in and out of my own house when I do school runs, go to toddler group etc.
Is this good practise? I've not been doing this at all!

Sorry to be a bit thick, hope you can help.

Jo. x

carolinel
04-03-2008, 07:05 PM
never heard of this before. I know some sign children in and out, but not yourself!

angeldelight
04-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Why would anyone even suggest that to you ?

It is your home for goodness sake

I have heard it all now

Angel xxx

Twinkles
04-03-2008, 07:08 PM
You don't actually need a visitors book. And why would you sign yourself in and out? You are the only caregiver there you would only need to do this if you were working with other people in case of a fire.

sarah707
04-03-2008, 07:20 PM
My inspector said it was necessary to have a visitors book so parents could see who had been in the house with their child during the day!

Another case of one lot saying one thing and one lot saying another eh! :rolleyes:

Twinkles
04-03-2008, 07:24 PM
My inspector said it was necessary to have a visitors book so parents could see who had been in the house with their child during the day!

Another case of one lot saying one thing and one lot saying another eh! :rolleyes:

Yeah! no surprises there then :rolleyes:

JO S
04-03-2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks for clearing this up for me!

Jo. x

buildingblocks
04-03-2008, 08:38 PM
I know of a childminder who works with a number of assistants and her hubby throughout the week. She was told that they had to do this as due to numbers they had to record who was present at what time and with which children

Apparently if you do a signing in and out sheet like I do you have to sign children in and out if they go to playgroup to show they are not in the setting (even if you are still responsible).

Tatia
05-03-2008, 08:16 AM
I sign children out if they go to playgroup or if I have them before and after school and then sign them back in when we get back to mine. The NCMA attendance book makes space for that.

Don't sign myself in and out though. That's beauracracy gone mad!

Annie_T
05-03-2008, 08:27 AM
why would you have to sign in and out your own home.. stupid people passing on info like this.

a visitor book is defo needed tho ...
like you said parents, gas man etc need sign in and out and this is only because a child could turn round saying they were hit or something worse(heaven forbid).
you have evidence to who been in and out.

miffy
05-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Well it made me laugh - signing in and out of my own home hubby would think I'd lost the plot

Visitor's book is good practice though and could be useful if there was a complaint or child protection issue

Miffy xx

angeldelight
05-03-2008, 08:39 AM
My hubby already thinks I have lost the plot so this would just confirm it ha

xx

JO S
05-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks again everyone. I thought it sounded a bit mad but wanted to check. I already feel as if i'm drowning in paperwork!

Jo. x

sarah707
05-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Jo, can I just say... please don't take offense in any way, BUT ...

... your questions are not stupid! Can you please stop saying they are cos they're not...

They are good questions and I bet loads of people are asking them! Just you come on here and ask so we can all discuss them... lots of new minders can't do that!

They are also an excellent resource for anyone new to childminding (and quite a few people who didn't think about things before), to look back on and see us all discussing different issues.

So please keep asking them! :D

crazybones
05-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Jo, can I just say... please don't take offense in any way, BUT ...

... your questions are not stupid! Can you please stop saying they are cos they're not...

They are good questions and I bet loads of people are asking them! Just you come on here and ask so we can all discuss them... lots of new minders can't do that!

They are also an excellent resource for anyone new to childminding (and quite a few people who didn't think about things before), to look back on and see us all discussing different issues.

So please keep asking them! :D

Sarah is right. I am not new to childminding but had got a bit set in my ways and was seriously considering giving up last year. Since finding this site I have a new lease of life and some of the things people have asked I have never even thought of before and I am amazed by things I have let pass me by. Please keep asking because somebody else is bound to benefit from your question too. (Like Me) :thumbsup:

Annie x

JO S
06-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks for that Sarah and Annie. I'm not offended Sarah and don't worry I'm sure to be asking loads more questions! It's good to know that there's always lots of advice on here, I definately feel I need it.
Thanks again,

Jo. x

Rubybubbles
06-03-2008, 06:33 PM
whata laugh:laughing:

But I don't sign the kids out when I go to toddlers and such like? eh where did that one come from?

I use vistors logs from Sarah 007's stuff:thumbsup: :D