PDA

View Full Version : Dont know where to start?

Tippy Toes
26-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Hi All

I have a child before and after school, 1hr before and 3hrs after.

This child has a medical bowel condition and school have not let her attend for the last few weeks.

In a nutshell child may have to change to a school who are more able to cope with the childs medical needs.

Parent has asked could I still have child if a taxi brought her to me after school which I have said is fine.

I charge parent £3.50 an hour and to be honest parent did not advise me of childs additional needs when I took her on in September. ( She has a rare bowel condition she also finds it difficult to concentrate, speach difficulties etc.)
She can be quite demanding and sometimes has "accidents" which can all take its toll especially when you have 5 other children in your care at the same time, 3 of which are under 2!

Anyway after christmas child may possibly change school and if this happens I will lose the before school hours (4 per week). Which adds up to quite a bit over the month....

This brings me on to my dilema, would you increase the fee or not? Or would you advise parent she needs to pay for a minimum of 4hrs per day??

Really dont know what to do???

Thanks for reading x :)

sarah707
26-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Is the child in Eyfs? :D

Tippy Toes
26-11-2009, 06:03 PM
The child is 4, i dont do the eyfs as from s wales.

Twinkles
26-11-2009, 06:08 PM
I think I would introduce a minimum hours per day policy. I know we are in the business of caring and you want to do the best for the child but it still has to be worth it financially for you.

sarah707
26-11-2009, 06:13 PM
Ah ok..

What I was thinking was that when we care for a child in the younger age group in England we have to do more paperwork which means it is perfectly acceptable to charge a little more per hour for a very part timer...

Thinking out loud here, you have to be inclusive, so you cannot charge more because the child has a medical condition...

The only thing I can think of is if there is any flexibility in the contract parents have signed (or in your fees policy) to say that you have a minimum hours per week policy...

Hth :D

Tippy Toes
27-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks for all your replies x

wendywu
27-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Ah ok..

Thinking out loud here, you have to be inclusive, so you cannot charge more because the child has a medical condition...

Hth :D

I would have thought if that a medical condition causes you more work or means you have to cut down on the numbers of the other children you care for then it would be no problem to charge more to cover this.

Twinkles and i have seen a 5 year old stick his hand down his nappy and smear it everywhere, twice in one day. This was on a day out in the summer far from home. To be honest it needs two minders working together to cope. One looks after the mindees and mkes sure they dont jump into the lake where we were walking. While the other attempts a clean up of a stroppy large 5 year old who wants none of it. :p

Being inclusive does not mean we have to ignore that people are different. We can change both our homes and practices to be inclusive so why not our charges. :D

Tippy Toes
27-11-2009, 02:23 PM
I would have thought if that a medical condition causes you more work or means you have to cut down on the numbers of the other children you care for then it would be no problem to charge more to cover this.

Twinkles and i have seen a 5 year old stick his hand down his nappy and smear it everywhere, twice in one day. This was on a day out in the summer far from home. To be honest it needs two minders working together to cope. One looks after the mindees and mkes sure they dont jump into the lake where we were walking. While the other attempts a clean up of a stroppy large 5 year old who wants none of it. :p

Being inclusive does not mean we have to ignore that people are different. We can change both our homes and practices to be inclusive so why not our charges. :D

Thanks this reply has been really helpful. x

Little Bear
27-11-2009, 03:36 PM
From the courses I have attended I understand you are not allowed to charge extra just because a child has an additional need. I was told if you needed extra support then extra funding was available through the inclusion officers.
Hope it helps

youarewhatyoueat
28-11-2009, 10:41 PM
If a child has additional needs and means you can't take on another child so affectively taking 2 spaces then the extra cost can be covered by the council and the inclusion team.
If the child has these problems then presumably the family have a lead professional that advises them, you also have access to the same person for advice.
The lead professional is responsible for the common assessment framework and you should be involved in this. Speak to the parents and your cdo for advice.