PDA

View Full Version : Can we claim the childcare element of tax credits

FussyElmo
26-11-2009, 01:00 PM
for our own children. Ds has started going to pre school one morning. After I would like him to go for more sessions was wondering if anyone claimed for help from tax credits and if there was a certain amount of hours etc that you had to do :)

beccas
26-11-2009, 01:02 PM
yes if your child attends a different setting than yours while you are working then you can claim childcare tax credits i know a cm that did this so she could have more children in her setting,

Blaze
26-11-2009, 01:02 PM
No you can't - but you can if you send your own LO to another CM!:rolleyes: If you are accredited you can claim for the free entittlement for your own LO (as long as you don't claim it for another setting).:thumbsup:

Minstrel
26-11-2009, 01:04 PM
i know a cm that did this so she could have more children in her setting,

your child would still be counted in your numbers as they are your responsibility so you can't just up your numbers

Blaze
26-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Sorry I'm an idiot I didn't read past the title!:blush: You can get help with pre-school sessions/other settings - you ring up & say your circumstances have changed & your childcare is x per week now (the amount after the free entillement is taken off).... this is the URN of the setting & they award you x per week to help towards that cost.:thumbsup:

mushpea
26-11-2009, 01:41 PM
You cant claim tax credits for your own child as apparently this is fraud but if you are accredited then you can claim the funding for your own child.

Minstrel
26-11-2009, 01:43 PM
You cant claim tax credits for your own child as apparently this is fraud but if you are accredited then you can claim the funding for your own child.

You can if your child is attending another setting where you are paying and you work the required amount of hours (16 i think? )

How can that be fraud?

grindal
26-11-2009, 01:44 PM
You can claim tax credits if they are going to a different setting. I phoned the other day as have just started sending DS2 to playgroup twice a week.

Chatterbox Childcare
26-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Yes you could if he was going to nursery but you need to state the amount of hours you and your partner work which need to be more than 16 per week.

tammerisk
26-11-2009, 03:16 PM
If you are accredited you can claim for the free entittlement for your own LO (as long as you don't claim it for another setting).:thumbsup:

i didn't know this it is handy to know as i am just about to be registered to offer the funded places and if i decide to pull my little one out of nursery i could claim for his free session with me when he is three

mushpea
26-11-2009, 03:31 PM
its only fraud if you are claiming for him whilst you are looking after him, if he is attending another setting then of course you can claim. some people try and claim for their own child who are in their own care as they say they are taking up a space that they cant use for minding and this is when its fraud.

Minstrel
26-11-2009, 04:25 PM
its only fraud if you are claiming for him whilst you are looking after him, if he is attending another setting then of course you can claim. some people try and claim for their own child who are in their own care as they say they are taking up a space that they cant use for minding and this is when its fraud.

As the OP said, her son goes to pre-school so in her case it would be fine for her to claim:thumbsup:

Louise_Oaktree
26-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Does anyone know what the combined maximum wage is that a couple can earn whilst still qualifying for the childcare element?