PDA

View Full Version : storage for childrens coats

terrydoo73
26-11-2009, 12:00 PM
I am looking for some advice on where you store your childrens coats. I keep a number of spare just in case they come without any as it quite often happens! I do not have a utility room so cannot put them in there. I do have a hanging peg system for my own family coats but would love somewhere handy that I could just reach for a spare one when needed. I do have boxes for waterproofs, coats, hats and gloves but the coats are just so bulky. I was thinking of getting one of those big wicker type baskets with handles on them to see if this would work - then I could set it in my playroom at night when not needed. What do you think? How do you cope with spare clothes?

Minstrel
26-11-2009, 12:37 PM
I only keep a small drawer of spare clothes and anything that doesnt fit in there- doesnt get kept!

I dont think it is my responsibility to keep spares of everything- parents should be more organised and they are more likely to remember if they know the child will have to go without.

mushpea
26-11-2009, 12:40 PM
The childrens coats hang up in the shoe cupboard on hooks, and their spare clothes (if they remember to bring them) go on a shelf in there too.
I do not provide spare cloths or coats as i do not have the room to keep them so if they dont bring them they go without .
last year i provided lots of spare gloves and hats but they all went 'missing' either at school or they got taken home with them so this year if they dont bring them then they get cold hands, I refuse to keep spending my money on stuff for them to loose , not only that parents know we go out in all weathers so i feel they should provide their stuff.

samd35
26-11-2009, 12:46 PM
I have individual coat pegs with each child's photograph, i bought these from Lidl a few months back. They are in my hallway and easy reach for the children to hang their coats.

I have a bag under my stairs with a few spare clothes, nappies.

Sam x

buildingblocks
26-11-2009, 12:53 PM
I have coat hook fastened to the hall wall with a photo and name above for each child. one is at little ones height the other is higher for the older children. Whilst I have a stash of spare clothes I do not have spare coats if they don't bring them they go home for them

singingcactus
26-11-2009, 04:22 PM
If a school age child arrived without a coat then they would need to suck it up and be cold, call it natural consequences if you like.
If a little one arrived without a coat then mum or dad can take little one back home with them to get their coat. No coat no drop off.
This means no storage of spare coats problems. Really it is not your role to treat parents like children, they need to ensure they remember their own child's vital equipment. Force them to step up to the plate and take on their responsibility, stop covering for them.
I do keep a spare outfit here for each preschool child (bought from the consignment store) but only for if they get really dirty or wet playing in the yard or doing art - not so parents can sidestep their responsibilities.