PDA

View Full Version : Parents' consultation evenings

helendee
26-11-2009, 11:24 AM
I have been reading through some threads and notice that some of you offer consultation evenings to parents. I have never heard of this before, is it a new requirement?

Must admit that personally I find it a bit OTT, after all we aren't teachers are we?

moogster1a
26-11-2009, 01:12 PM
i agree that it's OTT. It's not something I'd contemplate doing. A quick chat at the doorstep every day suffices I think!

Daftbat
26-11-2009, 01:31 PM
I certainly don't - i don't have time!

I try to make sure that parents are given a good opportunity at pick up times to ask about anything and for me to pass on info to them along with the diary.

Occassionally there have been times when i needed to ask a parent to come for a meeting when there has been something specific i need to talk about - but to be honest in 10 years this has happened rarely.

~Chelle~
26-11-2009, 02:00 PM
I will definately not be doing this.

I have a good relationship with the parents and discuss their child daily with them. Besides evenings are their time with their children and my time with mine.:thumbsup:

rachelle
26-11-2009, 02:13 PM
I've just asked a parent (whilst sending invoice :laughing: ) if she has time next week for a chat - 2 reasons - our county has introduced new paperwork and I want to ask her if she thinks they'd be useful in mindees learning journal and secondly I want to talk through some things I'm doing here - like mindee starting to feed himself etc

I have mindee more than full time each week and it's important to have time just occasionally to chat to mum about what I'm doing to encourage developement etc etc. I don't meet with other mindee's mum / dad (unless they ask) but with baby mindee it's helpful both ways at the moment.

Blackhorse
26-11-2009, 02:25 PM
well it depends...obviously if you call it parents consulation evening it makes it sound very formal and maybe a bit OTT

I have a chat with the parents each day about what the children have been doing or if anything out of the ordinary has happened. I do this at handover time.
I have it in my policies though that if either side has more to discuss or they want to discuss something when the children are not present then we can arrange a phone call or meeting to go through everything.
I think it is important that parents know they can come and speak to you other than at handover time in case they have something they want to discuss or have worries etc etc

claireLouise
27-11-2009, 12:34 AM
In Scotland it is considered best practice and being new, my Care Commission Officer let me know she would be disappointed if I did not do them. It is also expected to invited CCO if discussing your up coming inspection. My meeting was a fri night at 8pm but she took the time to attend and my parents really appreciated it.

I have 6 monthly contract review meetings and six monthly general parents evening 2/3 parents think this works well and enjoy the time to meet each other and discuss issues. Thed oterh parent never takes uo the offer for a meeting but that is her choice.

Claire

sarah707
27-11-2009, 07:40 AM
It is good practice to meet with parents at least twice a year to talk about their child's learning journey and discuss what they are doing at home and ideas for next steps.

This is in addition to talking to them at the end of the day.

It is part of showing commitment to Principle 3.1 of the Eyfs.

If you read through your Principles into Practice cards, they will give you other good practice ideas for working in partnership with parents and showing you are running a professional service.

Hth :D