PDA

View Full Version : Fees for parents that have changing shift patterns?

Bitsy Beans
26-11-2009, 10:00 AM
I have a message from a parent making an enquiry about childcare and it would be part time as one parent has changing shifts each week (I don't have further details as it's a message and I need to ring her back).
I have complete availability Mon to Thurs but how would you charge for this as the days required would change from week to week thereby meaning I am not at liberty to look for other work to fill any vacancy on other days.

Anyone provide changing shift care? How do you charge for this?

Thanks peeps!

huggableshelly
26-11-2009, 10:13 AM
my shift workers normally tell me on a friday what days they need for the following wk. I charge by the hour for hours they need and 3 are over 8 now so not taking up any under 8 places. Sometimes money is great, they all get the hours they need so I get paid yay but sometimes the hours clash so I have to turn down a child but the parents are all aware that they can have the hours if i have the space for them, they are aware there maybe a time when i cant accomodate.

another way you could do it is work out an average for the week to gain a regualr fee, parent knows shifts will be 3 days a wk so will always pay 3 days regardless of the change of days or if its an hourly thing, parent usually needs 30 hours a wk sometimes more sometimes less so charge the 30 hours but note how many hours are actually used and carry the rest over to the wks you have to do more hours.

I prefer my way its easier and less complicated for me.

atmkids
26-11-2009, 10:21 AM
I look after two children whose dad does a revolving shift pattern so the days are different each week. One of them is a before and after schoolie and his sister is one of my under 5's. I charge them a minimum of 3 days per week including the holidays, so on the weeks that they only come once, they have to pay me for an extra day. I also charge these parents full fee for holidays or sickness whereas other parents pay me half.

Another way you could do it which I may consider in the future is to charge full fee for the days they come and half fees for the days that they don't. Hth.

Bitsy Beans
26-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Child is one year old so would take up my single space thats free (and therefore my biggest earner as opposed to wrap around). I didn't want to charge a retainer as I think it puts some parents off. I did wonder about upping the hourly rate to compensate for the flexibilty each week. That way I am financially recompensed a bit for not being able to look for other mindees and allows me to offer flexible care to a parent that needs it.

What do you reckon?

atmkids
26-11-2009, 10:36 AM
You could do that but you'd really need to charge at least time and a half your usually hourly rate i.e. £4.50 p/h instead of £3 to make it worth your while. Otherwise you may start to feel resentful after a while especially if you start to get enquiries for full timers. It depends how much you need the business and how much work there is in your area.

Bitsy Beans
26-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Well there isn't a lot of work in the area so I'd like to be in a position to be flexible and thereby ensure the contract :o but I also need to earn a crust.
Time and half for me would be £5.25ph which I have no idea if that would put her off. I guess if she's interested (and not being available Fridays at all doesn't put her off) then I can only broach the subject and see what she says. She might not like me anyway LOL!