PDA

View Full Version : What to do when a mindee refuses to eat

Delly
04-03-2008, 02:58 PM
I've got my newbie here, (i know her well as shes my friends little girl) shes 14mth old.
She has refused to eat all day, she normally doesn't eat loads but today she is just refusing everything. I keep giving her drinks but i'm starting to panic now as shes been here since 9.30am.

any ideas?

ma7ie
04-03-2008, 03:00 PM
I wouldn't worry, she'll eat when she's hungry. She's probably just a bit upset. :)

Delly
04-03-2008, 03:04 PM
actually thinking about it her mum is in london working and i remember ages ago (before i minded her) her saying that when she worked away she didn't eat solids,...:idea:

Wish her hubby had reminded me this morning.

jmoff
04-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Well, she is either missing her mum, or maybe she is not feeling well?
There is a bug going round at the mo, Bella has it and hasnt eaten much at all in 3 days( and she is a pig normally!!)

try not to worry, just try giving her food, don't force her if she doesnt want it.

Jana

mamapink
04-03-2008, 03:21 PM
hello

my two girls were quite bad a eating they just do not eat much
if you look at the size of their little bellies it does not take much to keep them going provide her with some finger food not seeming to be watching her to closely while she is eating
i used to get so concerned at the amount my eldest ate but was recomended to note how much she ate over a few days and it ends up balancing out ok

when my two have friends over i am amazed at the portion sizes some of them eat

bye pink:o

Annie_T
04-03-2008, 03:24 PM
as long as she drinking i need not worry, once her mum/dad is there to collect she prob want to eat. being a newbie is also a reason she not eating ahe not quite use to being there like she is (hope you understand that)

and liek you just said last time her mum was away working she didnt eat solids then it happening again i guess

dont worry to much hun x

sarah707
04-03-2008, 03:54 PM
There is nothing you can do except offer a small plate of food you know she likes at meal times and leaving it in front of her for a while, then taking it away with a smile... it's highly unlikely she will starve herself.

I say that because my dd nearly did when she was little and had recurrent tonsillitis - does she have bad breath? Worth checking.

littletreasures
04-03-2008, 04:50 PM
My little mindee doesn't eat either. He is 22 months old. He has breakfast before he arrives and I give him his lunch (provided by Mum) after he has had asleep, usually about 2 as Mum says this is when he has it at home. He will have one mouthful and then not eat any more. Mum says not to give him anything else.

He then will have a yogurt, banana and chewy bar after school run about 4.

My youngest didn't eat when she was a baby. My health visitor went off sick for about 2 months and the stand in made me go each week to have her weighed. When my health visitor came back she was surprised and said don't worry about it. She will eat as much as she needs to get to the next meal. When she was about 2 1/2 she started eating really well.

So I say, don't worry. She won't starve herself.

Jules

Delly
04-03-2008, 04:53 PM
shes gone now.. boy what a first day... blimey!!.. why am i doing this job..

when her dad picked her up he said " oh yes she's been off her food for a few days now.. """

:angry: :angry: why didn't he tell me that this morning !!!:angry: :angry:

i'm totally exhausted !! and I can't even relax tonight as i'm off on a course "encouraging communication" but that should be good..

Sorry to moan.........again......

Sure this will all get easier.. just didn't imagine it would be this hard... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Noodles
04-03-2008, 04:58 PM
My own little one still doesnt eat much at all and she is 3.5. she has always drank a lot but is just not a big eater:)

angeldelight
04-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Hope you are ok Delly

Just catching up

Yes dad should have told you - how typical of a parent to expect you to be a mind reader

I still wouldnt worry though in future kids always eat in the end when they are hungry

Angel xx

tulip0803
04-03-2008, 05:11 PM
At work we have a child emotional health expert who comes into speak to the parents and also gives us training once a month. She said their is very little a toddler can control in their life but eating (or choosing not to) is one. Many toddlers do this.

As it is her first day she is probably a bit bewildered and not sure what is happening so she is refusing to eat as she cannot express her unhappiness any other way. She will eat when she has settled down. She may eat a bigger breakfast and dinner for a week or so and not much with you but as she gets used to coming and knows that Mummy will be back she should start eating. Just keep offering and don't make a fuss.

Rubybubbles
04-03-2008, 06:08 PM
oh dear why couldn't dad tell you:rolleyes:

I was talking to a lady at toddlers today, and she was saying her 15 month old didn't eat much. Best thing I was ever told, was put everything they eat into a food bag, milk/water/juice, all food ect and put it against the lo tummy and you'll see just how much to fill the little tum;) so thought I would share with you too

Twinkles
04-03-2008, 06:35 PM
i'm off on a course "encouraging communication" but that should be good..

Maybe dad should come with you :D

angeldelight
04-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Hahaha good thinking twinkles

xxx