PDA

View Full Version : Feel so mean but ...

helendee
25-11-2009, 03:30 PM
One of my little ones is a seven month old baby who has recently come back to me after two weeks away recovering from an operation to correct a cleft palate. I am just working out this month's bills to give to parents and I am feeling so bad about charging them for the time he was absent but I am desperate for the money and can't afford to go without it. Hubby and I are on a debt management plan and he is just about to be made redundant so things are really tight for us.

Am I being selfish by charging them? The contract is for them to pay if the place is available but not used.

Thanks everyone x

Tink
25-11-2009, 03:34 PM
It is a difficult situation, but at the end of the day you are running a business. If he went to nursery the parents would be expected to pay, so it's no different for you.

Merry-Minder
25-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Dito above - they have agreed to this in the contract, I know you feel bad but if you start letting them off they may take advantage later on.
I would maybe by a little welcome back present to remind them of how nice you are .xxx

helendee
25-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys for easing my conscience a little. I did buy the little one a 'going into hospital' pressie and kept in touch with them all the time as to his progress as I really do care about him.

Thanks once again x

Bananabrain
25-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Hi Helen, no advice about fees but my hubby is a debt collector and says you should give debt management companies a VERY wide birth!!
He has been doing the job for a very long time and really knows his stuff.
You are most welcome to PM me and I will see if he can give you any advice
{He's not home right now} Hope you don't think I'm poking my nose in:laughing: just trying to help.

AliceK
25-11-2009, 08:41 PM
One of my little ones is a seven month old baby who has recently come back to me after two weeks away recovering from an operation to correct a cleft palate. I am just working out this month's bills to give to parents and I am feeling so bad about charging them for the time he was absent but I am desperate for the money and can't afford to go without it. Hubby and I are on a debt management plan and he is just about to be made redundant so things are really tight for us.

Am I being selfish by charging them? The contract is for them to pay if the place is available but not used.

Thanks everyone x

Hi
Normally I would say yes but in this instance I would probably only charge half but only because my DD had the same operation last year and it was horrendous, makes me cry even now just seeing pics of her afterwards so for personal reasons I wouldn't charge full fees as I know exactly what they have gone through and I'm a BIG softie (not much good when running your own business :blush: )

xxxx

Jemima77
25-11-2009, 09:30 PM
I have been a soft touch for far too long and it doesnt get you anywhere. Its harsh to say but you would still charge full fee if child was off sick so you should do the same now. You have shown your concern by keeping in touch etc....and they will be expecting to pay so dont make yourself strugle unecessarily. Hope LO is ok now.
p.s. Before I started childminding I worked for a well known fee paying debt management company (for 6 years) and there are pros and cons of using them. As mentioned previously if you want to PM me about anything that you are worried about feel free. xxxx

helendee
25-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. Alice and Jemima thanks for your concern, we are using a free debt management company that didn't charge us a penny for setting up our plan and it is working really well with all our creditors accepting reduced payments and freezing the interest for us.

I would truly love to have charged half fee but am not in the financial position to do so; that would mean a loss of £270 which is a huge amount to us and means the difference between possibly becoming bankrupt and keeping our heads above water. Also the parents originally told me that they wanted me to have their little boy for 40 hours a week and signed the contract to that effect only to drop the hours to 30 per week just before he started with me! I had turned down other full time work by then so I am already £180 per month down on what I could be earning!

helendee
25-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Sorry I meant thanks to Louise and Jemima for your concern and advice. xx

youarewhatyoueat
25-11-2009, 11:33 PM
This is one reason why I always bill in advance so the money is already banked if they have time off, if the parents had asked for a discount in advance then I would have offered half fee but as they didn't then charge full fee and don't feel guilty.