PDA

View Full Version : running a tots group

sarah32
25-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Ive been asked to take over a tots group as off next week, short notice as lady starts a new job next week.

Does anyone run a group already as I need some urgent advice for what I need to put in place as to be honest I dont think anything was done right.

I currently share running a childmnding group with fellow childminders, would I do the same as we do at this group.

I know I have to put risk assessment in place and fire escape.
Written rules need doing.

I dont even know if she had insurance in place, would I need that?

I've seen a register.

Im going to ask her about any funds to be passed on but get the feeling she will say there isnt any and I know she bought lots of books and puppets last year from the funds, they havent been seen since.

Shes coming round this friday so need any advice urgently as want to get all these things written down as I think as soon as she starts her job, I'll have trouble getting hold of her.:(

Thanks

sarah32
25-11-2009, 02:48 PM
No one with any advice. I feel so alone:(

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
25-11-2009, 02:51 PM
I haven't got time to reply at the moment but I run a toddler group with a couple of other childminders so I will reply in a little bit if that is ok.

xx

sarah32
25-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Thanks lorraine, will check later:)

terrydoo73
25-11-2009, 07:20 PM
I ran a toddlers group in my local community up until June of this year and I also ran a childminders group. There wasn't much difference in them but it was obvious that there were certain things you could do in one and not in the other if you know what I mean - for instance our community group had quite a large hall so we were able to have ride-ons and tunnel/slide etc as well as having a music and movement session every other week during the winter. In the childminders group we ran in using a toy library facility so there were so many more resources readily available and we didn't need to have to buy/get donations of toys etc.

If you have no funds start with requests in the local area for toys and or monies. I found this very easy - many parents really would love a clear out of some of their better toys but be specific about what you need! Local companies also do keep funding for specific community projects so it is always useful to write those lovely begging letters! Also there are a number of community free resources - we found our local library very helpful in coming out and doing rhyme and story times, local dentist came out to explain the importance of hygiene and some craft people like the opportunity to "sell" their wares ie Phoenix cards, Usborne Books. These people will do "parties" whereby you can invite interested people to come and purchase stuff and then they give a certain percentage to your own funds.

Definately insurance is important and I would look to see what other local toddler groups use - you might find an organisation that covers all toddler groups as our community group had. Risk assessments would be good especially if haven't been done - we identified a need for changing area specifically for babies, contacted I think ROSPA and they advised on what kind to get hold of for health and safety purposes.

Another big concern for us was storage - you don't want to have to cart stuff backwards and forwards to the group each week so it is important you identify that as quickly as possible. We had large boxes on wheels for everything from toys to cups and plates - it meant they could be rolled out each week!

One other way we brought in some money was through membership - we asked each parent to fill in a form and accompany it with a yearly fee. We also charged on a weekly basis but explained this was just to do refreshments, cover heat and light costs etc and the yearly fee was to buy needed resources.

Of course craft resources are easy to get and you should identify specific little things that you could do on a budget until you are up and running - even things like blowing bubbles and getting the children to dance along to music was really fun and everyone joined in!

Definately get yourself a group of interested parents and try with a rota to help each week - it gives others the ownership too and that is important when it comes to perhaps moving on.

Hope this is useful - if you need anymore help just ask! Of course our situation in NI is a wee bit different from England - we had loads of opportunities to apply for local charity money so were able to build up a good amount of money over the 5 years I was involved in it. I would loved to have continued but due to my children moving to playgroups it would have affected opening and closing hours of the tots group. All the best!

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
26-11-2009, 12:18 PM
I have send you a message.
xx

youarewhatyoueat
26-11-2009, 04:11 PM
If you contact your local council there should be an advisor who will often visit groups, this is the one in my area http://www.pataglos.org.uk/ which has a bit of info on, the insurance is often done through these, I used to run a group and if its in a village hall you should be speaking to the village hall committee to check their insurance etc.