PDA

View Full Version : Question about daily diaries

bubbly
04-03-2008, 01:43 PM
The almost 4 year old I'm minding has a fixation with unscrewing the handle on my toilet.

When she first started with me, she just wouldn't leave the handle alone!
I explained to her why it doesn't need unscrewing and eventually got through to her.....but now it's started all over again!

I'm thinking of putting something about it in her daily diary because she just doesn't listen to what I'm saying. She says she wont unscrew it again but the next time she uses the loo, sure enough it's unscrewed :(

I'm getting really fed up having to screw the ****** thing on every time I need to flush :angry:

Can I ask your advice - would you include something about it under the 'behaviour' section in your diaries or should I just get used to screwing it back on every time?

Thankies :)

deeb66
04-03-2008, 01:53 PM
I would first talk to mum or dad.

It sounds like the child has a fixation on the toilet handle rather than a discipline problem.

Have a laugh and joke with them and see if she does the same at home.

You could ask them to talk to her as to why she insists on unscrewing it.

bubbly
04-03-2008, 02:10 PM

I think it stems from the fact her toilet at home doesn't have a handle. She says it has a chain. Probably having a handle is a bit of a novelty...but I thought the novelty would've warn off by now as she's been with me since Dec.

Mum is very young, not yet in her 20s, and tends to see things from a slightly different perspective, iyswim. Still, it's worth a try!

deeb66
04-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Yes it does sound a bit like a novelty doesn't it.

Have you tried screwing it on so hard that her little hands wouldn't be able to unscrew........you probably have but just a thought :)

Spangles
04-03-2008, 03:22 PM
That does sound annoying!

Some children just have to fiddle with things don't they! My little man is starting with this now! It's very funny at the moment but will no doubt get a bit tiring!

He fiddles with the things in his changing bag the most - I go out of the room for a couple of mins, come back and he's got my lipstick and handcream on (everywhere!), he's trying to open the anti-bac handwash and getting all the wipes out of the packet! I've watched him do it and he has such fun!

Got to go he's crying!!!

sarah707
04-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Love the pic Lorri... superman!

I have had mindees do some strange things over the years and develop fixations... one used to sit and fiddle with the stair gate... never went up the stairs but was determined to beat the system!

I would mention it but it doesn't sound like you'll get a lot of backing...

Good luck! :D