PDA

View Full Version : help in telling parents i cant catch up the hours

mozarella
24-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Hi

I am ill and my son is ill, we got it from the mindee the mum brought unwell to my house ( as per other post)

I called the mum and she said she was sorry that it was her fault etc and I told her i cant do this week ( 2 days) as we are both too unwell spent most of day in bed with emperature and I am pregnant too

She said ok but wants me to catch up the hours next week ( doing 4 days instead of 2) she knows i have the vacancy to do that but next week i have a course to attend and TBH i dont want to do 4 days from 8 till 7, i was already stuck in this week and it would mean i would have to change all my plans for next week

Do you think i am being unfair? nd how would you say to her i dont want to do it?

Moz

aly
24-11-2009, 04:30 PM
no way...she just needs to put it down that she is not getting charged for those days [is that in your policy? i dont charge if im ill]

i would be telling her to *** off, you are busy etc.

mozarella
24-11-2009, 04:39 PM
yes i dont charge when i am ill which is annoying as it is a bit of her fault that i am unwell, i find it hard to speak up though

Blackhorse
24-11-2009, 04:42 PM
tell her you have a course to go to and you cant do it!!!

I wouldnt...she is not contracted for these days...and it says nowhere that hours are transferable. so you are well within your rights to say no!

youarewhatyoueat
24-11-2009, 05:27 PM
charming!!! I thought we had been asked to watch what we write, this is a forum also read by parents.

i would be telling her to *** off, you are busy etc.[/QUOTE]

Mollymop
24-11-2009, 05:33 PM
I would jsut say "no sorry I can't do it" If she asks why tell her that you have other things to do.

p.s - I don't think you are being unfair at all

LittleMissSparkles
24-11-2009, 05:38 PM
hours are none transferable in my opinion and cannot be banked up under any circumstances, I would politely explain this to the parent along with reminding them you dont get paid for time off sick and that you are sorry you are unable to do the 2 extra days next week unless she would like to pay your overtime rate for none contracted hours hth xxx

miffy
24-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Personally I think she's got a cheek - you don't owe her the time - you are sick and there's no way you should have to make up time.

I agree with Sparkles, the hours are non-transferable but you need to tell her this.

Hope you feel better soon

Miffy xx

Minstrel
24-11-2009, 05:56 PM
I had a parent do this- my son had an accident at nursery and I had to take him to hosptial so i cancelled my after schoolers. One mum asked mum to work an hour extra each friday for 3 weeks while she made up her hours. Wasn't till she let slip some tim later that i found out she just went home and had 'me' time.

chels55
25-11-2009, 10:47 AM
You caught ill because she sent her child to you!! i wouldn't worry about saying your not prepared to work the extra days

Rubybubbles
25-11-2009, 01:43 PM
I have had to take this week off as on Friday I was bed ridden with Flu and only today have I managed to sit up:( . Doctor was called out as I also have a bad throat infection which was sending my temp sky high too.

I can not make up these hours, my contract states all parents will be refunded. Not idea, I would rather make up the hours but can't make up a week, so from ££ side I could see the benifits from this:) But you dont have to!

Blackhorse
25-11-2009, 01:47 PM
read this again and though of this:

Is mum in employement? does she need to make up days she was off sick?
I really doubt that...so why should she expect if from yourself..you already dont get paid for being sick....

Tinglesnark
25-11-2009, 01:59 PM
read this again and though of this:

Is mum in employement? does she need to make up days she was off sick?
I really doubt that...so why should she expect if from yourself..you already dont get paid for being sick....

i agree, i dont understand why YOU need to make up the hours? it says in your contract that you dont charge for you sick leave...
some people are so confusing!

tell her that you wont be making up the hours but that she will be refunded the days you took off and then leave it like that...dont worry about making up an excuse...i dont see that there is any need to? you have done nothing wrong chick!!
good luck and i hope you both get well soon!

Ripeberry
25-11-2009, 02:01 PM
As you are self employed, you don't owe her 'time' just money. So you will need to pay her back either now or as a deduction from next month's invoice. It's not like a normal job where you work 'overtime' and anyway they are not contracted hours, you could say they will cost an xtra £1 an hour....:D

Blackhorse
25-11-2009, 02:09 PM
if you are stuggling to tell her no maybe tell her you wouldnt be insured to work not contracted hours as a way to help you stand your grounds??

not sure if this is a good idea but maybe a last resort

Ripeberry
25-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Maybe the parent has promised her employer to work extra days instead of using holidays? Maybe that is why she is doing it? But she should have checked with you first anyway as they are NOT contracted hours.

mozarella
25-11-2009, 05:08 PM
thanks for the replies, i think i wont bother catching up, we are both so ill now and i am really struggling looking after my own LO doesnt make me want to be flexible