PDA

View Full Version : I'm new!

Suz13
24-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Hello folks

I'm new here - and hoping for a bit of advice/support. This could get rather epic, and I apologise profusely in advance... :blush:

I'm a registered childminder but am a bit of an odd case. I started my registration process in Jan 09 in Wandsworth; I did my briefings there, completed my 1st aid course and had my registration visit from Ofsted. My registration certificate came through in June 09.

But then it gets complicated.

I moved to Surrey in June without starting my ICP course - Wandsworth had suggested that I do the ICP with the National Extension College because I don't have any childcare for my son (no local family/friend support and a husband who works long and unpredictable hours). I didn't start the course because I had my hands full with moving. Neither did I start minding because I wanted to get settled in to my new home.

Now I'm settled and want to do the ICP. I'm outside the 6 month window that I'm supposed to complete it within, but Ofsted are ok with that - I haven't started minding (and won't until I've completed the course) and they appreciate the circumstances. In fact Ofsted have been so helpful and lovely - I'm really impressed with them so far.

I called Surrey CC, I guess to introduce myself and ask for any advice they could give me about what I should be doing next. But the two people I've spoken to on the phone there have been really unpleasant and actually quite upsetting. First I was told that I had to start right at the beginning with their briefing sessions and that all registered childminders had to do this, even if they'd been childminding for years. Surely that's not true? Then she told me flat that I can't be a childminder in Surrey unless I do their CHIP course (which Ofsted said is untrue because I'm already a registered childminder).

Because I've said that I don't have any option but to do the ICP as a home-based course, Surrey CC have washed their hands of me. But I don't know what else I'm supposed to do?

I was hoping for advice on insurance etc too, but the lady I spoke to at Surrey CC terminated the conversation before I had a chance to ask about it. Wandsworth used the start-up grant to provide all new childminders with their first year's insurance, but I'm guessing that I'm going to have to sort all of this out for myself now?

I can't find the details of how much the NCMA's membership/insurance actually costs on their site - I'm probably not looking in the right place... Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

I feel a bit abandoned at the moment, and just need some support while I try and get myself sorted. Sorry, this has all been really long - thank you for reading if you got this far.

Suz x :)

sue m
24-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Ooooh, well, I can't advise, lots of the others here will be able to help but I just wanted to say hi and welcome and I'm sorry you're having all these problems. I honestly wouldn't know the answers to your questions.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

LittleMissSparkles
24-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Hi Suz

Welcome to the forum

I know someone wil come along and be able to help you unfortunately it isnt me lol I dont know what you should do, we do have some members from Surrey who will be able to help you Im sure

Hope you get it sorted out, I must admit I wouldnt want to start from scratch again, can you not get Ofsted to put into writing that you dont need to do the course again... just an idea

xxx

RachelE
24-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Hi,

Welcome to the board!

I moved counties last year and didnt have to do anything at all.
- it wasnt to Surrey, but I think it very unfair if I had moved to Surrey and been made to do everything again after 7 years of minding.

Do you know any minders locally to where you are? Maybe their Development worker might be more helpful?

I hope that someone is a little kinder to you and more helpful when you next call.

Rachel x

Suz13
24-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks guys :D

I've just found out about a childminding group really near me that meets once a week; I plan to go next week and hopefully they'll have a friendlier contact at the council.

According to Ofsted, there's nothing to stop me from just getting on with things myself now. I'm just a little sad that I don't seem to be getting any advice or support from the people who ought to be helping me.

Its good to have found this place though! Thank you again for reading and replying - I don't feel so lonely any more. :D

miffy
24-11-2009, 08:36 PM
There are a few Surrey childminders who are members here - they may be able to help you

Miffy xx