View Full Version : Advice needed for Sept 2010 enquiries

23-11-2009, 06:05 PM
Hi guys,

I have had loads of enquiries for childminding for september 2010 as nurseries are getting full waiting lists around here.

I know that to most people, especially when they have just had a baby, cannot afford to pay a retainer for a long time, even at 1/2 fees so I am hesitant in asking for this. How long can retainers be paid for...im sure it says on my contracts, must look...!

I had an enquiry tonight and just suggested that mum come around and meet me for an informal chat and a cuppa just to see whether she would prefer a childminding setting over a nursery as a starting point.

But going forward I have no idea what to do...any advice would be gratefully received, what would you guys do??

Should I set a precedent, charge 1/2 fees (as I planned to from the start) but risk losing people if they don't want to pay.

In your experience do parents pay if they really want the space?!


Alz x

Chatterbox Childcare
23-11-2009, 06:09 PM
If you have the space and they want to keep it then charge a retainer and then it is fair on both sides. if there is indeed a demand you will find someone willing to do it.

23-11-2009, 06:22 PM
I agree with Debbie and to be honest Nursery's etc wouldnt let a parent book a place to start the following September without them paying a retainer, I personally wont take a booking for a place anything more than 6 months ahead as so much can happen, if the parent didnt end up using you and you had held the place for say 8 months without a retainer you might have turned away alot of work that would have worked out iyswim xxx

23-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Thank you for your replies!

Yes, I agree...

I think that booking a place over 6 months can be tricky, as you say anything can happen in that time. I have had so many of these enquiries at the moment that I need to treat them all the same and I think charging a retainer is my only viable option...but not too far in advance as I don't want to lose out on work charging full fees.

I have decided to have a chat with mum and meet baby this week. Then mum can decide whether a childminder is the option she would prefer over a nursery. Then maybe arrange to have another chat in the new year, yunno keep in touch and see how the land lies....we can talk about the retainer option then. I suppose if she really wants me she will pay the retainer, same as if I was a nursery like you say!