PDA

View Full Version : Do you take anything?

lissy
23-11-2009, 04:28 PM
I seem to have an awful lot of ill children at the moment and they all then pass it on to me and my kids. i was just wondering if anyone takes any vitamins or anything else to help the immune system cope with this part of our job???

Tink
23-11-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm quite lucky I worked in a nursery for 9 years, I was i'll most of the time for the first 2 years and never had anything other than the usual coughs and colds, DR told me the longer you work with children the more your immune system builds up, not sure how true it is, but touch wood, i've been ok:clapping:

wendywu
23-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Yes it must be true, i have never had a day off ill through sickness in all the 13 years i have been minding.

AliceK
23-11-2009, 04:46 PM
I tend to take a tonic like Metatone and the other week I was using Vicks First Defence because I was sure I was feeling a bit fluey / coldy, other than that I'm just upping the cleaning and hand gel use and lots of fresh air.

xxxxx

patevans
23-11-2009, 04:47 PM
I've been a childminder for 5 years and not had a singe day off sick, I am never ill :D

I also worked in a nursery for 6 years before minding and had 1 day off ill in 6 years :eek:

May be I am just lucky as I have never taken anything!

wendywu
23-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Chocolate seems to ward off the germs :clapping:

LOOPYLISA
23-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Wine helps too :clapping:

tashaleee
23-11-2009, 06:14 PM
I like the chocolate and wine thoughts :thumbsup:

I dont take anything medicine wise - been doing this for 10 years and no real days off sick so far.....

haribo
23-11-2009, 07:09 PM
i have never had a day off sick in 15 yrs of minding - germs only get me when ive holiday booked :rolleyes: must be all the wine and chocolate then :laughing:

Winnie
23-11-2009, 07:24 PM
lucky girls, I obviously don’t eat enough chocolate or drink enough wine :idea: :D

I have asthma which means about once a year I get a nasty cold go straight to my chest, then I have to take a week off so the steroids can work (actually I refuse to take them anymore as they make me feel Ill :eek: ) I did get glandular fever once and took 2 days off….felt really rough but didn’t know it was GF at the time......every so often i buy vitamins to take but forget to take them....is chocolate & wine good for the memory too? :laughing:

Daftbat
23-11-2009, 08:30 PM
I have been feeling a bit rough for about a week now and i am sure that its all the things that are floating around at the moment - my daughter had a cold, two of my mindees are off at the moment with stomach upsets and i feel like i have no energy and a cold is trying to get me. I keep taking paracetamol and hoping its going to go away:laughing:

Bushpig
23-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Being asthmatic means I do catch things easily... but they get sorted quite quickly since I have been taking vit c, echinacea and garlic tablets in the am. A chest infection that would take 2 weeks to better itself took 2 days a couple of weeks ago... and yes, ALL my mindees bar one has/is sick currently.

Twinkles
24-11-2009, 08:19 AM
I take echinacea and in the winter vit c with zinc.

kindredspirits
24-11-2009, 11:07 AM
vitamin D is actually the best thing for colds - which is why eskimos (sp?) don't get colds and flu, because they eat a lot of oily fish which contains Vit D.
(its also incidently why there are a lot of colds in winter time because we catch less rays from the sun.)
I dont take a supplement though, i just up my intake of oily fish - at least 2 cans of mackeral a day at the minute - my son loves it too and will often eat as much as me! :thumbsup:

tammerisk
24-11-2009, 01:43 PM
ecanisha(sp) is suposed to be the best and if oyu forget to take it is ok as you not suposed to take it contuiusly. i have womens vitamins as i know that i don'tr always eat the most balenced diet !!!!!!!
and at the momnet i am on folic acid for the fetility treatment!