PDA

View Full Version : glass

charliegee
23-11-2009, 01:03 PM
hello all

I'm due inspection and need some advise on safety glass

I've got film to safety cover glass on my tv cabinet and in an internal door but just noticed a window in my bathroom which is quite high up (over the bath) and which is that bobbly glass. Do I need to have put safety film on that too?

was nevr mentioned in my prereg but just going thorough everything and double checking.

I've risk assessed it and analysed that children are taught not to eg throw stones in garden and supervised

do I have to buy some safety film for it do you think?

is there a general rule about safety film? or is it okay not to safety film if it is over a certain height (read somewhere here about being over waist height okay?)

xx

LittleAcorns
23-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Anything above your waist height doesnt have to be protected, Ive done mine though as the single pain glass is in the playroom, children shouldnt throw things in the house but it only takes a stroppy toddler to throw a toy car and you just never know! in a bathroom you should be fine though :thumbsup:

AliceK
23-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Hi
Does this mean I should be putting safety film over my windows and patio doors then? At the front of my house in the lounge I have a wall which is virtually all glass window from floor to ceiling, probably about 10ft long. At the other end I have 2 HUGE patio doors. They are all double glazed and I have checked that the glass in them is safety glass and thought that would be OK??????

xxxxx

madasahatter
23-11-2009, 02:03 PM
I was told that if your windows (eg patio doors) are double glazed and have the kite mark printed on them (usually in a corner) then they are toughened safety glass anyway. Double glazing is hard to break, the force of an object gets spread out iver the surface. The fire service said at a fire safety talk that the best way to break a double glazed pane is to hit it in the corner with a hammer or a stiletto because the force hasn't got as far to spread.
As far as I am aware the safety film is really for single panes of glass in things like display cabinets or indoor doors.
I used to have a small aquarium that I put safety film over but my newer one is toughened safety glass so I haven't bothered. I put a small not in my house risk assessment about it.
Ofsted have asked about glass in my tv cabinet before but never about windows and doors. I was able to show it was saftey glass as there was printed in the corner.

AliceK
23-11-2009, 02:12 PM
I was told that if your windows (eg patio doors) are double glazed and have the kite mark printed on them (usually in a corner) then they are toughened safety glass anyway. Double glazing is hard to break, the force of an object gets spread out iver the surface. The fire service said at a fire safety talk that the best way to break a double glazed pane is to hit it in the corner with a hammer or a stiletto because the force hasn't got as far to spread.
As far as I am aware the safety film is really for single panes of glass in things like display cabinets or indoor doors.
I used to have a small aquarium that I put safety film over but my newer one is toughened safety glass so I haven't bothered. I put a small not in my house risk assessment about it.
Ofsted have asked about glass in my tv cabinet before but never about windows and doors. I was able to show it was saftey glass as there was printed in the corner.

Brilliant, thank you. It makes sense that it is only for single paned glass. Phew :)

xxxx