PDA

View Full Version : who has a car for chilnding?

sarahstanbridge
23-11-2009, 12:22 PM
i have just been told that me having a car is a "core requirement" for this job. who agrees ? when the parents started with me 3 years ago we were a two car family so i had use of car every day. then about 18 months ago we went down to one car as we couldnt afford to run two. i am now being told that is is unfair to expect to 3.5 year olds to walk a 25 min walk from playschool at lunch time in the rain then out at again in the afternoon to do a school run. just wondered what opions were on this please?

Hebs
23-11-2009, 12:23 PM
personally i wouldn't be happy my 3 year old walking that far twice a day :(

just being honest

but then again i had a parent stop sending her almost 6 year old son cos she didn't want him walking home, (15/20 mins walk)

grindal
23-11-2009, 12:25 PM
Hi
I have only recently got my car insured for minding. I suppose it depends how far you would be walking, but my 3 year old walks to and from playgroup every day. Personally i find it easier walking than getting them all strapped in the car and out and in the pushchair and back in the car ......
Anyway, walikg is good for us and them. Get them some boots and waterproofs and let them splash in puddles!

Nat78
23-11-2009, 12:27 PM
I personally have a car but still walk unless weather horrendous. I know loads of childminders that don't drive and walk/get bus everywhere. They never had a prob with it. As long as parents are happy and they are wearing appropriate clothing I don't see what the problem is. There are so many learning opportunities that can be gained from walking, even if same route every day which is why I choose to walk. I have even had mine complaining when we used car when we occasionally run late. They love the walks and games we play.
Keep walking!!!
:thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
23-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Who told you that?

Tam's Tribe
23-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Hi

I personally think it depends on your circumstances, i.e. how far from school, playgroups, parents preferances, etc.

I personally couldnt do it without my 7 seater as I do take the LOs out everyday and on holidays we are always out and about.

While I know children do enjoy walking in the rain and splashing in puddles, I think there is a time and place for it and wouldnt like my children or mindees getting soaked on school runs. In horrid weather we drive to school. But saying that, I think we need to walk more so when the weather is suitable we are going to walk!!!

Lovies
Tam
x

Bananabrain
23-11-2009, 12:39 PM
I used to mind 2 siblings 8 and 10.
One day the youngest said 'oh,why do we have to walk to your house? I'm sooooo tired'
School to my house: exactly 12 mins walk {I can be this exact as I have done it a thousand times!}
I then said 'So what exercise have you done today then?' {it was a snow day, so no playtimes}
He replied and was totally serious ' I walked from my house to my mum's car this morning'
Nuff said.:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

sarahstanbridge
23-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Who told you that?

a parent for the last 3 years

Chatterbox Childcare
23-11-2009, 12:43 PM
a parent for the last 3 years

I would tell her that you have been through all your required paperwork and ask her where she got her information from.

I think she is trying you. Maybe the children are unhappy walking or she is concerned about the bad weather.

Hebs
23-11-2009, 12:45 PM
I would tell her that you have been through all your required paperwork and ask her where she got her information from.

I think she is trying you. Maybe the children are unhappy walking or she is concerned about the bad weather.

TBH fair Debbie, it is the parents wishes we have to consider

if she is unhappy then i would expect the children to not attend, it is after all her choice.

i had a child not come for the same reason (had too many kids to use the car) i was prepared for her to stop sending him x

sarahstanbridge
23-11-2009, 12:47 PM

think it her about the weather! but she telling me my circumstances changed and she not happy on the one point. but that was over 18 months ago!!!

Chatterbox Childcare
23-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Parents knew that you didn't have a car when they signed up so why make a fuss now

This all might be a communication issue so why not talk to her and find out what the problem is?

sarahstanbridge
23-11-2009, 12:49 PM
think she will be reducing her hours as thats her choice. she did say she was happy with every other aspect of the care i provide! just not walking in wind and rain..

Hebs
23-11-2009, 12:51 PM
think she will be reducing her hours as thats her choice. she did say she was happy with every other aspect of the care i provide! just not walking in wind and rain..

tell me who DOES like walking in the wind and rain :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Jen 10
23-11-2009, 12:53 PM
I have a car but can only get 3 children in it so mostly walk to and from school. It takes 15 -20 mins with children.

There are so many more pros for walking than driving so tend to walk whatever the weather. I have a few whinging children but I just ignore it!

Walking is better for the environment, less traffic on the road if we all walked, no stressful parking situations, exercise, wakes us up in the morning...

Also there is no such thing as bad weather just bad clothing!!

Sometimes I wish I lived slightly nearer to school and I do sympathise with the tired children, but I will continue to walk and leave the car at home. The children get used to it and families a decade ago and even now manage without a car.

miss mopple
23-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Personally I couldnt do without my car for work. Although I live in a small town most of the groups and facilities we use we have to travel to and in the hols we go further afield.

I always walk on the local school run but twice a week I go to a different school and its a 7 mile round trip- couldnt do it without the car

Zoomie
23-11-2009, 01:27 PM
If I was to use my car for the school run, it would involve reversing out my drive, driving down the road ... but before I get to my immediate next door neighbour, I would have to pull over and park.

I live in a terraced house, BTW :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Donkey
23-11-2009, 01:31 PM
I dont drive, we walk and bus everywhere...

I need to pass my test and get insurance on df car, but even then I wont use it for minding...

my dd will be going to school in a couple of years and my long term plan is to work term time only and just do the free entitlement sessions :D

the smallest go in the double buggy, everyone else walks, weather they are 2 or 10.

youngest I have walking is about 2.5 but one mindee was playing up a treat, he was 3, so I stuck him in the pram and my dd who is 2 walked. we walk for about 15 minutes though but its all hills!!! up and down

helenlc
23-11-2009, 01:33 PM
I couldnt be without my car for work. My daughter goes to a school that is too far away to walk daily - my choice as the schools around me are not brilliant.

However, we do walk to toddler group once a week and often walk down to the local shop at the bottom of the road. They are building a new swing park near me and this is in walking distance so will form one of our regular outings. And there is a huge country park literally a stone's throw from my house that we visit regularly. The children get plenty of fresh air and exercise in my large garden and from frequent visits to the park and other outdoor areas.

Personally I wouldnt be happy with my child walking that far in the rain if they were not with me. I passed my test when my children were 2 and 4 - before that we walked everywhere in every weather. But that was MY choice for MY children.

Maybe the confusion has occurred because you had 2 cars when she started with you and now you dont. Just explain to the mum that it was a financial decision and that you are confident that you can get everywhere you need to get by foot. As someone else said, it is up to her if she is happy with that or not.

janminder
23-11-2009, 01:34 PM
I don't drive so have no choice, the school I go to now is only a 10/15 minute walk away but I used to go to one about 25 mins walk away. I have had some 3/4 year olds still using a pram but generally they manage the walk. I have umbrellas for any children that don't turn up with one and change of clothes for the younger ones.

Its strange how children may moan about a walk to school but take them in the park and they have energy for ages.

sarahstanbridge
23-11-2009, 01:37 PM
i should have said hubby and i share our car. he works as a bus driver so needs the car for work when he has early starts as busses not running then to take him to work. i have car on his days off and if he has later starts. only have this child 3 times a week and most weeks i have the car at least one of her days. last week she only needed to walk once, this week will have be twice so its not every day!

madasahatter
23-11-2009, 01:46 PM
I can't see anything wrong. I rarely use my car for childminding. Luckily we only live a few minutes from school but toddlers and playgroup are between 1/2 and 1 mile away (toddlers therefore takes 25 to 30 mins for the LO's). I get them walking as soon as possible because it is hard work pushing the double up and down the hill to and from toddlers. As long as they are kitted out for the weather children don't seem to mind it as much as us. They love being in their all in ones and wellies, splashing in puddles etc. They all learn to keep their hats and gloves on when they need them etc and they learn a huge amount about their locality, the changing seasons, the weather, road safety. We discuss traffic, litter, shop displays, colours (of doors and cars etc), numbers (on doors, cars, lamposts etc), we talk to the dustbin men, highway repair men, window cleaner etc.

At times children regularly end up doing several journeys each day when I have children attending preschool and nursery and the before and after schoolers, but I don't see any harm in it. We do go out into the garden to play but at this time of year they often choose not to so the walks and fresh air helps them sleep and ensure they get plenty of exercise.

The Juggler
23-11-2009, 01:48 PM
I have a car but rarely use on school run due to numbers. Never have. I wish I could on some days, like today!!!!!!!! but even today in the rain the one little on in the buggy (2 1/2) asked to get out and walk. I don't think it harms children and if they can swap over and take turns then I don't think it's a problem. What about a buggy board for him or is he too big. I've had 4 year olds on mine when we had to walk a really long way once.

FussyElmo
23-11-2009, 01:48 PM
You could always ask the mum to provide a car for them if she is that concerned :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I dont drive and it can take me up to an hour to get home from school tonight just because of how many puddles we have to jump in :rolleyes: . Walking is actually good for you and there is a saying in this house we are not made of sugar or salt so we wont melt :)

buildingblocks
23-11-2009, 01:58 PM
i have just been told that me having a car is a "core requirement" for this job. who agrees ? when the parents started with me 3 years ago we were a two car family so i had use of car every day. then about 18 months ago we went down to one car as we couldnt afford to run two. i am now being told that is is unfair to expect to 3.5 year olds to walk a 25 min walk from playschool at lunch time in the rain then out at again in the afternoon to do a school run. just wondered what opions were on this please?

Well I wouldn't ever have any work then as I don't drive. I have lost out on work recently (although helping lady out for three weeks) as I do school run for where one child goes but the other is at a nursery in the town centre - hubby is at home every other week so is possible once a fortnight. So it has meant I lost out on work.

I also have a 25 minute walk (one way) to school so we are out of the house for almost an hour in a morning. Due to hubby's shifts one week we can use the car in the morning and the other week for after school pick ups but to be honest unless it is absolutely bad weather we walk.

Parents are made aware of the fact that we walk everywhere when they come to look around but never thought about if that has put anyone off sending their child to me. Then again we have to let them outside no matter what the weather to play so I personally don't see any difference. If they are happy to let them play in wind and rain surely walking to school isn't a problem either or is it just they don't want them walking that far. I find many parents object to them walking as they wouldn't consider walking that far.

The Juggler
23-11-2009, 02:01 PM
You could always ask the mum to provide a car for them if she is that concerned :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I dont drive and it can take me up to an hour to get home from school tonight just because of how many puddles we have to jump in :rolleyes: . Walking is actually good for you and there is a saying in this house we are not made of sugar or salt so we wont melt :)

absolutely agree!:p

loocyloo
23-11-2009, 02:07 PM
we walk almost everywhere! i do have a car, and do use it for minding, generally for late pickups from clubs, or when we have to be somewhere else, and no time to get home for car.

my parents all know that i walk regardless of the weather, and all knew that when they signed up! i am a 15-20 minute walk from school. but this morning, i had one mum say ''you are going in the car today aren't you?" :rolleyes: i said "no, we are walking as usual" don't think she was impressed, but hey, she works from home, so she could have taken her child to school !!! ;)

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
23-11-2009, 02:12 PM
I drive and need my car as i have to drop one child off at 9am (mon-fri)and another at 9.00 (Tues/Thurs) i get there at 9.05 but if i walked it would be even later

Then i have to pick another up at 11.30am then another at 12.00 (on tues/Thurs) get back home give them lunch and then take my daughter back to the same pre school for 12.45.

if i walked theres no way i could get home and fed and back to pre school on time.

One of the mums of a child i look after in the morning and drop off to pre school said that one of her conditions when looking for a childminder was that they drove.

Daisy1956
23-11-2009, 02:12 PM
I dont have the use of a car during the day and I dont want to buy one just to transport minded children. The children I mind walk to school about 10mins if it rains wellies and umbrellas ,while we are walking i have time to listen to children and we can take notice of what is going on about us Anyway I'm reducing my carbon foot print.

Gizmo
23-11-2009, 02:13 PM
We walk to school every day no matter the weather it is only a 5 min walk but do use the car to go to cm group as that is in the next village 5miles away.

FizzysFriends
23-11-2009, 02:24 PM
I use the car for all school/pre-school/groups as they are all too far away.

When its weather like today I wouldn't walk even if I could as the cold isn't good for my chest and wouldn't want me DD to have to go to school wet.

HomefromHome
23-11-2009, 02:29 PM
considering children are meant to be getting 60 mins of excersise a day!!!!!! then i feel this is fine - as for weather - i'm sorry but that is what waterproofs/wellies/hats/gloves/scarves/jumpers invented for!!!! use reins on very windy days!!!! i have a car but only use it in extreme cases (distance/weather). most of us managed to walk to school in all weathers when we were kids!!!!! i make a big point about walking everywhere when new parents come - i just show how i can be prepared for all weathers. tbh it's me that forgets to get fully dressed and ends up wet!!! :laughing:

sarahstanbridge
23-11-2009, 04:34 PM
thanks for all your replies.

Blackhorse
23-11-2009, 04:47 PM
I would not say it is a core requirement but I had to get a car as all inquiries where for school age children + under 5 brother or sister to go with and all the schools were too far for me to get to with 5 kids...
after having turned many people away for this reason I got so fed up and didnt get any other inquiries that when the next one phoned I went out and bought a zafira just so I could take them on.....couldnt do it without the car now to be honest and dont regret it.

there are lots of cms without cars too though. everyone is different and it depends a lot on where you are based and the types of inquiries you get...

CherryBlossom
23-11-2009, 05:05 PM
I have a car..but my partner is selling his so we will be sharing. It is also a very small car so would only fit 2 children in the back!

There are about 5 or more schools within 15 min walk from my house so I think it is fine to walk in this. If the Children are very young they will be in a buggy anyway, and other would be school age and should easily be able to walk 15 mins by then! Also, if i drove to any of these schools the nearest safe place to park would be at least a 5 min walk..then theres getting all children in and out of car-into prams etc...in the end it would take longer!
Think it is pointless me driving, wasting petrol and hurting the environment.

I think it is good to walk and when Ofsted came out, and she couldn't stress enough on the subject.

If i wasn't so central to everything (2 parks also within 15 min walk) then I maybe would have to consider getting a bigger car.

I didn't register to have my car insured for Minding, although I am thinking now i probably will look into it just incase there is the odd time I wanted to use it.

Most people I know who can drive use there car for everything! But even now I will happily walk up to 45 minute journeys rather than driving. I think it would be lazy to drive up to the shop at the end of my road!

x

HELEN10
23-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Hear, hear, Jen, agree with you entirely. Its an absolute pain in the **** taking the car!!

As long, as you say, they are kitted out properly for all weathers and time is allowed for the walk especially for the younger ones then i don't see the problem nor do my parents they are happy to provide everything they require.

HELEN10

Alz
23-11-2009, 06:59 PM
I have a car now (mostly to get to my other work), but have not used it for minding yet....we are probably going to get rid of it next March for a year (and maybe save up for a nice big 7 seater!), but I will be quite happy not having a car, I seem to walk everywhere anyway (park, childminding grp, sure start etc) with the double buggy as I only look after under 5's at the moment!....so i'd say, it really depends on your cirumstances!

Like everyone else says, walking is good for you!