PDA

View Full Version : URGENT ADVICE NEEDED PLEEEEASE!!

Jemima77
22-11-2009, 08:04 PM
I have posted about this a couple of times before but things have now got to a head and I am unsure if what I am going to say to Mum tommorrow is going to be ok!!here goes............
Mum owes me 3 months worth of full time wages as her childcare grant hasnt come through...I stopped minding her child as said that I could not work for free anylonger and she had a meeting with her union at university who rang me (and following wrote to me) to confirm that loan had not yet been dealt with but should defo be sorted out by end of next week (i.e. last week)!! Spoke to mum on Friday who said that she had phoned the finance place and they told her to ring back this friday coming to check on progress!! They told me on the other hand when I phoned that all Sept grant forms had been dealt with already!!!!!!!!!!! (she doesnt know I called them)!
So I am going to tell her that if no money by Friday coming the she will need to pay me the full daily amount in full each morning! Is that reasonable or should I stop minding again until I actually get money in my hand?
I cant go on with this any longer and it is really upsetting me and putting me off doing childminding as a job.
Sorry for the long post xxxx

Pipsqueak
22-11-2009, 08:22 PM
I think that is more than reasonable -asking for daily payment or even ask for the forthcoming week on a Monday and get a weeks wages upfront. I would not leave if for another week though - you must tell her that as of tomorrow morning - you require payment even if its starting from tomorrow.
I would also draw up a written document stating that monies are still owed for the 3 months and if they are not settled by xxx date then you will have no choice but to terminate the contract (she can then show this to Uni) and pursue for full payment.

STand your ground here - why should you/family go without.

Blackhorse
22-11-2009, 08:23 PM
I think that is more than reasonable -asking for daily payment or even ask for the forthcoming week on a Monday and get a weeks wages upfront. I would not leave if for another week though - you must tell her that as of tomorrow morning - you require payment even if its starting from tomorrow.
I would also draw up a written document stating that monies are still owed for the 3 months and if they are not settled by xxx date then you will have no choice but to terminate the contract (she can then show this to Uni) and pursue for full payment.

STand your ground here - why should you/family go without.

good advice...
and I agree ...get something in writing...that she needs to sign!!!

Blaze
22-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Out of interest - who are you insured with NCMA or MM?

Tinglesnark
22-11-2009, 08:32 PM
i agree with pip - get it down in a contract asap good luck xxx

TheBTeam
22-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Do you think she could have staged the phonecall from uni, and got a friend to do it?

FizzysFriends
22-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Do you think she could have staged the phonecall from uni, and got a friend to do it?

There was an article in the news about grants and that some of them haven't been paid so it is possible she could have been one of the unlucky ones.

Jemima77
22-11-2009, 09:06 PM
I am with the NCMA!
and yes it did cross my mind whilst I was on the phone that I could be talking to one of her friends so I asked if I could have it all in writing on university headed paper which I recieved the next day, so I am sure it is real. It doesnt make any excuse for me not getting any payment at all though! What does she think I am living off?? and I worked out that I feed her child more times than she has to each week!!!! I will go with the payment upfront each morning I think as of Tuesday and will write up an agreement for her to sign. Thanks for your advice its so hard to decide what to do for the best xxxx

TheBTeam
22-11-2009, 09:15 PM
I also think that i would phone the university again, if they have written to you then they should be prepared to at least tell you something!

Pauline
22-11-2009, 09:20 PM
I think the advice you have been given is excellent, I can understand being concerned and understanding of the parents dilemma, but why should you be out of pocket?:(.

babs
22-11-2009, 09:48 PM
i would go with all of above but defo ring uni and speak to someone. i get paid from my local collage and rang them to check all arrangements on payments... hope it works out for u good luck.

wendywu
22-11-2009, 09:49 PM
This lack of funding is the parents problem she should be out of pocket not you. She should get a short term loan and pay you waht is owed.

She should also go and see her MP, perhaps a letter on headed paper from Westminster may just move the uni along.

madredann
24-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Be careful I would play along until you have been paid in full, it is annoying but as it has got this far you dont want to loose all the money you are owed.
This happened to me once I couldn't stand the stress of it all, the lady in question never paid well from the start but when I told her I wouldn't be able to have the child until she had paid she took the hump her boyfriend rang me threatening to report me to Ofsted (I gave him the number and told him to do so) The parent couldn't understand and what hurt most was that she said it was the child that was the problem and that I didn't like her. That made me feel really sad knowing a parent was blaming the child for what was obviously her fault in not paying. Get your money first then reassess (?) your options with her. I think once the trust is broken it is hard to rebuild. I never got my money in the end but learnt the hard way, all my parents pay really well now

bexcee
24-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Sounds like a really difficult situation to be in and I don't envy you.
I agree with the others, ring the uni and see what is going on. Can the mum get some sort of emergency loan to pay you until her grant comes through? Surely the uni should be helping her as without childcare she won't be able to continue studying.
I think asking for payment daily/weekly in advance is perfectly reasonable in the circumstances.
Good luck with it all

Jemima77
24-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Thanks for all your advice...This morning she told her little one in front of me that she would buy her a new pair of gloves once "daddy has been paid at the weekend" right so if Daddy has been getting wages why hasnt HE been offering to help towards fees!!!! and then when she came to pick up buggy this evening told me that she had dropped her NEW laptop down the staris and it is being repaired so cant check her online status with the finance company and THEN said that she dropped her i-phone!!!!!! in a puddle today so cant hear anything when she makes a phone call!! so she can afford a brand new laptop and iphone but cant pay her childs fees!! Then she told me that as I had asked for money upfront as of next week her friend was going to lend her the mooney out of her wages!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG I am straight on the phone to the uni tommorrow....plus on top of this the LO told me this morning that she doesnt like me!! :-( great I LOVE MY JOB!!!! :-(

jumpinjen
24-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Oh you poor love, if it wasn't so awful it would be funny after what you just said about laptop and i-phone..... some people really have their priorities all wrong! At least it has made you toughen your resolve, and i hope her friend has better luck than her!

Sending hugs!!:)
jenni

tara
25-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Ive been messed about with payment last christmas but my payments are in advance l never work then get paid.I really feel for you over this its bad enough anyway but with christmas comming its a nightmare.I gave my mindees mum a letter saying l require payment it worked.Let us know how you get on with this one fingers crossed for you.

Pipsqueak
25-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks for all your advice...This morning she told her little one in front of me that she would buy her a new pair of gloves once "daddy has been paid at the weekend" right so if Daddy has been getting wages why hasnt HE been offering to help towards fees!!!! and then when she came to pick up buggy this evening told me that she had dropped her NEW laptop down the staris and it is being repaired so cant check her online status with the finance company and THEN said that she dropped her i-phone!!!!!! in a puddle today so cant hear anything when she makes a phone call!! so she can afford a brand new laptop and iphone but cant pay her childs fees!! Then she told me that as I had asked for money upfront as of next week her friend was going to lend her the mooney out of her wages!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG I am straight on the phone to the uni tommorrow....plus on top of this the LO told me this morning that she doesnt like me!! :-( great I LOVE MY JOB!!!! :-(

Right, before further resentment builds up you need to sit mum down tonight and explain that you have bills to pay and that you have been more than generous in allowing this situation. Acknowledge that about the uni situation but from Monday you cannot offer further care for her child until at least a substantial amount has been paid from the bill or all it bought up to date. Tell her you are willing to sort out a payment scheme with her. Tell her its either this or you are terminating the contract and giving her the notice period and you will have no alternative but to pursue the outstanding costs through solicitors and court if necessary. Whatever agreement you reach get it in writing. I would also make a written record of the dicussion and both you and her sign the notes.
She then has time to get onto uni and explain her predicament or sort out some type of payment with you.

You need to take control of this situation now before it gets any worse.

chels55
25-11-2009, 09:42 AM
What a terrible situation to be in! let us know how you get on

madredann
25-11-2009, 08:10 PM
There is a bit on aol money news about lots, i mean 62000 people waiting for grants, maintenance money etc so this is happening to alot of people doesnt help you i know but sounds like it is true hopefully you will get your money in that case x

cher25
26-11-2009, 12:49 AM
There is a bit on aol money news about lots, i mean 62000 people waiting for grants, maintenance money etc so this is happening to alot of people doesnt help you i know but sounds like it is true hopefully you will get your money in that case x

This is very true. People in scotland are having to wait also. My brother started college in sept and his money has only just been sorted, as of last Thursday. Lot's of people have also had to drop out of college. I imagine a lot of childminder's may even have lost business due to this.
It's just a shame they cant claim child tax credits to get them through this. Hope you get some of your money very soon. Also do keep asking her about it.