PDA

View Full Version : christmas bank holidays

moogster1a
22-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Just wondering what everone's doing re. charging for the bank holidays over Christmas. I was thinking of being off from 23 Dec. to 2 Jan. but charging for the bank holidays inbetween .
The contracts state that if BH's fall on a contracted day then charges apply?
Do you think it's fair to apply this or will I have some unhappy parents?
My thinking is they get paid for BH's and if it's in the contract, I should stand firm ( or am I being mean?!!)

Jemima77
22-11-2009, 08:21 PM
I always charge for bank holidays as it is in my contract too, they can still come but I would charge double fee!! They never do come and have no problem in paying either as like you say they are getting paid for it too. xx

mushpea
22-11-2009, 08:44 PM
I never charge bank holidays as i am not prepared to work them, i guess if you are prepared to work them in parents request then its ok to charge and in the new contracts you can only charge if you are prepared to work them after all parents pay for the space if they use it or not to reserve it.

FizzysFriends
22-11-2009, 08:53 PM
I wouldn't be happy to pay for a bank holiday if it was during time you have booked off.

nannymcflea
22-11-2009, 09:03 PM
I never charge bank holidays as i am not prepared to work them, i guess if you are prepared to work them in parents request then its ok to charge and in the new contracts you can only charge if you are prepared to work them after all parents pay for the space if they use it or not to reserve it.

Same here:thumbsup:

haribo
22-11-2009, 09:23 PM
i charge half for bank hols but if i had holiday booked either side of it i wouldnt charge as i would class it as my holiday which i dont charge for iyswim

sophiestars
22-11-2009, 09:40 PM
I agree I don't think you can charge if you are on holiday either side.
I don't charge for bank holidays as i don't want to work them and I don't think it's reasonable to charge for a day that you are not prepared to have the child if the parents want you to.

suzyblue
23-11-2009, 08:09 AM
I charge for bank holidays. I also have a weeks paid holiday between Xmas and new year so I use my week and the bank holidays separately giving me over a week off :clapping:

AliceK
23-11-2009, 09:38 AM
I don't charge for bank holidays as I am NOT available to work them. I think we have so few a year and I like some guaranteed quality time with my family so do not want to work BH's.

xxxxx

patevans
23-11-2009, 09:43 AM
I charge for bank holidays. I also have a weeks paid holiday between Xmas and new year so I use my week and the bank holidays separately giving me over a week off :clapping:

I also do this :thumbsup:

Chimps Childminding
23-11-2009, 10:35 AM
I don't really think it is fair to charge for the BH of you are not working the days either side of them!!! Plus not everyone gets paid bank holidays (or paid extra) so I would not charge (but then I don't work BH anyway)!

Chatterbox Childcare
23-11-2009, 12:47 PM
If you contract says yes and it is a contracted day then you can charge

I give a monthly fee and my BH's are calculated within it.

Problems come when it gets highlighted on the invoice

janminder
23-11-2009, 01:43 PM
I am not contracted to work Bank Holidays so no charge as I am not available.

MissTinkerbell
23-11-2009, 02:05 PM
I agree with others - its not fair to charge for the BH's if its in your time off (do you charge for your holidays?). I'm also having from the 23rd to the 3rd off and I don't charge for that time. I don't charge for BH's as I'm not prepared to work for them and as others have said not everyone gets paid time off.

HELEN10
23-11-2009, 04:03 PM
The only holiday's i do get paid for are bank holidays and don't ever work them.

I also state in my contracts beside cm holidays, that any bank holidays occuring within my time off will be charged as full rate!

HELEN10

angeldelight
23-11-2009, 04:20 PM
I dont charge because I do not work them

I have worked them in the past though but never charged for the christmas bank holidays altough i should have it was always my choice not to do that

Its the season of good will and all that and its nice to be nice , thoughtful and kinds sometimes :jump for joy:

Angel xxxx

suzyblue
24-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Bank holidays are national days off. Parents get paid them so why shouldnt we? I charge full fees but wouldnt dream of working them. I must admit though that none of my parents work bank holidays so its never been an issue.

FizzysFriends
24-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Bank holidays are national days off. Parents get paid them so why shouldnt we? I charge full fees but wouldnt dream of working them. I must admit though that none of my parents work bank holidays so its never been an issue.

They are days off for employed staff (and not all of them) we aren't employed.

Jelly Baby
24-11-2009, 12:03 PM
I work them normally as just another day to me tbh, but with the xmas one i was wondering what you all do about school aged kids that would normally be at school? I tend to just bill half through the holidays and thats that but dont want to upset anyone!
Thanks