View Full Version : Is there and insurance cover if we get ill?

22-11-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before, but has anyone got insurance if they are ill?

I'd swine flu a fortnight ago and was told to close (needed too anyway!) for a week. Too ill to work.

As soon as i was back all the parent had their hands out for their cash back - even though I asked if i could just take it off of next months fees? Only one never mentioned it. The rest asked for the money on the first day back, I was still not feeling great and hadn't even thought about it!

The week off cost nearly £450 - to be honest i could have done with more time off. A friend has pneumonia and has been off work for a month and just signed off for another 3 weeks. Could you imagine us taking that long off work? If a week cost £450, imagine what 7 would cost. I'd to take 3 weeks off last year and that was a nightmare, but only because i'd a collapsed lung and i'd no choice, and back at work, still ill, just cos we couldn't afford to get better.

The worst thing is that we usually catch the bugs from the kids! So they're the ones making us ill in the first place. A bit ironic eh?

Need to sort out some sort of insurance and a pension, anyone got one of those sorted out too?

Barbara x :littleangel:

22-11-2009, 01:26 PM
sorry to hear you have been so poorly and what ignorant parents:( unbelieveable!

glad you are on the mend, yes there is insurace out there for s/e people - hubs has it (actually I don't:rolleyes: ) - if you put in illness cover insurance to google you might get some links come up, have a good trawl around though:thumbsup:

The Juggler
22-11-2009, 02:28 PM
I've got income protection but it's not much use really for swine flu/pneumonia or broken legs. I've taken it out to pay out after 6 months (only way I could afford to do it). It backdates after that to the start but you have to need 6 months plus off. For me it was to cover me for long term illness.

I looked into it to pay out after a month but I couldn't afford the premiums!

Chatterbox Childcare
22-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Short term policies are really expensive but if you are paying class 2 ni and have been off work for 7 consecutive days from sunday to sunday you can claim off of the govt.

22-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Got back my letter from them - you get £63 - £64! Wouldn't cover a lot of expense eh?

It took a 40 minute phone call to get my proportionate rate as you don't get the first 3 days think i'll get £25 quid. So i'll be down just £425 for my week off. Lets hope no one else gets ill!

Thanks for your responses.

B x :littleangel:

23-11-2009, 11:58 AM
this is the reason why another minder i know charges half rate for her sickness and half rate for theirs , that way she says they are more likely to keep their kids at home if they are ill ,and she will still get some money if she has to take time off , like some one else said its normally them that bring the germs in , none of her parents have a problem with it.

23-11-2009, 01:48 PM
I looked into it once a few years ago but it was too expensive for the sickness cover also the amount needed to put away in a private pension was too much so I am just saving with an ISA and Tax Exempt Policy not going to give me a great lump sum when I retire but better than nothing.