PDA

View Full Version : i dont understand

smellyellie
21-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Hi people im newly registerd, and i have my first mindee starting in a few weeks (11mth old boy)
my problem is i really dont understand any of the paper work and i feel sick every time i think about it, its so scary :panic:
alls i really have as paper work is a few policies, and i also have my ofsted comin out for my 1st grading in the new year.
wot paperwork do i really need plz
and can any1 try and explain in an easy way about eyfs, i try 2 read this stuff but its jus not sinking in, omg i feel like cryin jus talkin bout it, its so confusing :panic:

beccas
21-11-2009, 08:45 PM
dont worry about it we all feel that way some times, dont panic, you need policies for lots of things and risk assessments if i was you i would find sarah707 in members list and she has a link for her website she sells ebooks that make it all easy to understand, i think almost everyone on here has a least 1 of them...

PixiePetal
21-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Sarah707 is a great place to start, she has calmed a lot of us down at some point when we have got frazzled over something.:blush:

You will be fine, you have got this far and found the forum :thumbsup:

Loads of helpful posts, we all help each other :)

Kelly
21-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Do you have a Development Officer or Support Childminder? they can be really useful and help you with your paperwork

The Juggler
22-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Don't worry. there is an ofsted document that lists the minimum paperwork requirements but I think so many minders produce more now, they expect this as the norm.

I think you need a good set of strong policies (have a look at Sarah's e-books for advice on essentials), file of risk assessments for your setting and outings, and a planning folder.

Your accounts, just keep all your receipts or a note of expenses on paper and keep in a file and use a spreadsheet on excel. I only update mine a few times a year using my folder. Column for income, one for expenses and totals.

You will need to ensure you keep your register up to date and have forms for accidents, indicents or medication issued. It wont take you too long with your one mindee. You can make all your own forms on word, saves lots of money instead of buying NCMA.

I suggest two files for your child, one with forms, contracts, personal details/contacts etc and another to become his learning journey with all his photographs, observations and next steps planning. Some minders do one per week, but I know ofsted have said at inspections that one per month is fine. What is important is that the planning for his next steps is based on the observations.

Also have a portfolio with your certificates, insurance docs, a bit about you, and a copy of your policies and information that you give to parents (keep copies of any newsletters/info given to parents etc in here to show off to ofsted). This would be a portfolio you could show to parents/ofsted/your development officer.

Ask your development officer to pop round to through it with you (as someone mentioned earlier) and have a look at your SEF, and start filling it in little by little.

You'll be fine. any worries just check in with us every now and again.

Good luck with your new mindee.:)

smellyellie
22-11-2009, 08:38 PM
Oh thx sooooo much for your replys every, i feel a little bit better now cheers xx

sarah707
22-11-2009, 08:40 PM
Is there a specific bit of the paperwork that's stressing you?

Most of it seems a lot to start with, but it sort of comes together over time and then it just needs updating every so often.

There is loads of information around the forum, but it can seem a bit overwhelming to start with, so just take it slowly and do a bit at a time.

We're all here if you need us, just shout :D

Blaze
22-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Sarah's being modest:-
1) Look around the forum & aks quiestions - don't be afraid - we don't bite & we all started somewhere!:)
2) Check out Sarah's website.
3) Buy her ebooks!
:thumbsup:

smellyellie
23-11-2009, 07:58 PM
Hi its pretty much most of it i dont understand tbh :blush: , im really useless at wording things, i also need 2 get a copy off an sef form 2 start filling in, but its also the risk assesments, may need a blank copy of 1 of them 2, ive had a look at your e books sarah and they look fab will deffo try n buy a couple soon, bit short on pennies at the mo.
also i had the little boy on friday for a settling in day, from 9.15 am till 3.00pm, and the mum stayed the whole time :panic: , then i had him again 2day from 9.15am till 3.00pm without the mum this time :), but she says she gonna ring me 2moz 2 arrange 2 drop him off again sometime, should i be charging her the next time i have him, didn charge her the last 2 days, but the little boy is totally fine with me didn cry 4 mum at all so not sure if he needs any more settling in time!!
sorry 4 long post xx

Blaze
23-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Yes you should be charging! Your not a charity! Ring Mum & make it clear that the first 2 sessions were on you, but any further sessions will require payment in advance. You also need to make sure you have contracts inclusive of an actual start date, child record & permission forms signed before any form of childcare takes place for payment. Where are you based - is there a support minder in your area? You might like to look at the bromley childminding site for examples on RA's & sample policies. I would strongly recommend you buy Sarah's ebook to complete the SEF.

HTH

smellyellie
23-11-2009, 09:01 PM
yeah we have done the contracts and the child record forms, wot are the main permission forms i need, i have in my ncma pack permission forms 4 giving medicines

Blaze
23-11-2009, 09:05 PM
You can get further permission forms from the NCMA website although you may find the need for more depending on your practice - Again I would recommend that you look at the bromley chilminding association site for ideas on extra permission forms that you perhaps should have on top of the NCMA ones.:)

Blaze
23-11-2009, 09:07 PM
PS If you ave already signed contracts then you should be charging from the start date stated on the contract. HTH