PDA

View Full Version : Odd clothing situation

Tatjana
21-11-2009, 10:16 AM
My mindee is on the larger side size wise, she is nearly always being dressed in clothes that are too small/tight. Sometimes i struggle to pull trousers off to change nappies, pull up sleeves etc.

Yesterday when dad dropped off even he said 'i think her trousers are too tight'. It was obvious they were, so why did he dress her in them??? I said 'oh yes, if she gets uncomfortable i can dress her in my boys trousers'. He replied with 'oh no, she won't be uncomfortable'. Well the poor little mite couldn't walk properly they were so tight, couldn't climb onto the sofa or up/down the stairs?!!?!

I thought they were just being a bit ignorant about her clothes but if they can see they're too tight why dress her in them??! I don't get it and feel uncomfortable bringing it up with them.:(

I feel really sorry for her.

xx

PixiePetal
21-11-2009, 10:20 AM
This happens quite a lot. One mindee who came to me at 2 was still turning up in the same jeans 2 1/2 years later - half way up his shins as shorts in the summer :rolleyes: The waist was ok, but I looked at the size 18 - 24 months!

Some people just buy for the age not size, does my head in. :rolleyes:

Blackhorse
21-11-2009, 10:22 AM
I can see how it is not comfortable to bring this up...but the poor LO.
if she cant properly walk or climb that is ridiculous...they probably cut into her too??

I would take the clothes off her and hand them back in a bag to the parents saying they are too small for her to wear and that LO is struggling with it.

To me this is neglect!
Can they not afford new clothes for her? Might they struggle and are to embarassed to say? Or do they just not bother??

I would continue bringing it up until something changes. and not put the clothes back on her if I felt they were too small / tight

(not sure though what I would get her to wear...)

sorry not sure this is helpful

Tatjana
21-11-2009, 10:32 AM
It's really awkward. I thought it was a finance problem too, which kind of is, but she recently had a birthday and she's bought lots of new clothes...all too small.:panic:

Most of the time i leave the top button undone as you really have to pull it together to do it up :(

I often dress her in clothes that my boys have outgrown when she spills drinks on herself etc, but then they don't return them for weeks and i really don't see why I have to keep more any spare clothes of my own for her never mind the 3 sets I already do...I do so because i feel so bad for her, is she supposed to go naked or remain in wet clothes?! SIGH.

xx

Mouse
21-11-2009, 10:49 AM
It's really awkward. I thought it was a finance problem too, which kind of is, but she recently had a birthday and she's bought lots of new clothes...all too small.:panic:

Most of the time i leave the top button undone as you really have to pull it together to do it up :(

I often dress her in clothes that my boys have outgrown when she spills drinks on herself etc, but then they don't return them for weeks and i really don't see why I have to keep more any spare clothes of my own for her never mind the 3 sets I already do...I do so because i feel so bad for her, is she supposed to go naked or remain in wet clothes?! SIGH.

xx

I think you need to keep on at the parents & explain that she is struggling with her clothes being too tight. If they still don't do anything about it, perhaps change her into the spare clothes while she is with you, but change her back into her own clothes when it's time to go home.

That's what I did when parents kept 'forgetting' to send a change of clothes when their DD was potty training & going through endless outfits. I was having to change her into my DD's clothes, then we'd never get them back. In the end I would change her into DD's clothes while she was here, then send her home in a nappy & coat, explaining that I had no more of DD's clothes to dress her in & they hadn't provided anything. They soon caught on & started to send clothes!

I now have a bag of spare clothes that I have collected over time, but I'm still reluctant to send mindees home in them.

Curly Quavers
21-11-2009, 10:52 AM
I think you need to keep on at the parents & explain that she is struggling with her clothes being too tight. If they still don't do anything about it, perhaps change her into the spare clothes while she is with you, but change her back into her own clothes when it's time to go home.

That's what I did when parents kept 'forgetting' to send a change of clothes when their DD was potty training & going through endless outfits. I was having to change her into my DD's clothes, then we'd never get them back. In the end I would change her into DD's clothes while she was here, then send her home in a nappy & coat, explaining that I had no more of DD's clothes to dress her in & they hadn't provided anything. They soon caught on & started to send clothes!

I now have a bag of spare clothes that I have collected over time, but I'm still reluctant to send mindees home in them.

If you feel like you can't discuss it with them I would do this to.

Ripeberry
21-11-2009, 12:15 PM
My little mindee comes to me with really thick socks that wont fit into his shoes (that are getting too small for him) Also some of the trousers are just too tight, so when we are at home I just take his trousers off so he can have some freedom! :)
On the Wednesday, the dad forgot his shoes and his coat! Lucky I keep all my daughters old wellies from since they could walk...have a huge range of sizes ;) And anyway the weather has been quite mild so I just put him in my 4yr old's purple fleece.

Ripeberry
21-11-2009, 12:18 PM
It could be also, that the parents just go by the age of the child, rather than the size of the child. My eldest is 7yrs old but has to wear tops for 10yr olds (tall) and bottoms for 10yr olds as well (long legs), but she is skinny as a rake so all trousers have to be able to have a belt.

Chatterbox Childcare
21-11-2009, 03:19 PM
I usually have the opposite and the jeans fall off as my mindee is so tiny. I just put him in his change of clothes and send them back.