PDA

View Full Version : Parents!!!!!

anneriddington
04-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Can't believe mum of mindee that arrives at ten has just dropped off she came in with little one eating a packet of crisps in one hand and a biscuit in the other, saying she was hungry so she gave her these!

Thats her choice I suppose although why she needed biscuit and crisps is beyond me but she didn't give another thought about the chaos it caused when the other two boys I mind say what shet was eating - tears and tantrums :angry: and that was only me.

So much for our healthy snacks we are having in a minute. Why dont some people think about what they are teaching their kids?

yummymummy
04-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Umm!!! These parents wonder why their children are so hyper all the time!!!!
It is a case sometimes of anything to make them cooperate and be quiet, but if we did the same..............:eek:

angeldelight
04-03-2008, 10:13 AM
I know what you mean

Every day my parent asks her son did he have fruit - she said she has bowls of it at home etc etc etc she makes such a big thing of this healthy eating etc

Then every evening she turns up with a chocolate bar for both her children

The one child is 15mths and he is always eating a healty snack at home time but she takes it off him and gives him the chocolate bar

He now has tantrums at home time because he is waiting for it

I have even told her its not very nice taking the healthy snack from him - I said she is undoing what I am trying to do

She laughed and said " a chocolate bar is not going to hurt "

Just makes you wonder sometimes why you bother

Angel xx

lisat
04-03-2008, 10:14 AM
I can understand how you feel, one of my parents used to do that, so i re-printed my meals and snacks policy and gave another copy on which it stated 'Please do not send children with snacks unless they are healthy and there is enough to go around as this could cause upset to the other children. Please also remember, i offer meals and snacks in with the fees you pay.'

Well it was something along those lines anyway!

Lisa xx

Noodles
04-03-2008, 10:17 AM
I agree with you completely but maybe mum feels guilty about leaving little ones and compensates by giving them sweeties and chocolate i know a few parents that do this

nell57
04-03-2008, 10:20 AM
one parent said to me the other day, oh i cant get my lo to eat at meal times like he does when he comes to yours.

eerrr because every time i see him out with mum he's always got crisps or sweets in his hands, maybe!!!!

Helen

LittleMissSparkles
04-03-2008, 10:21 AM
I to agree with you all, one mindee never has breakfast till gets here but id rather that than him arrive with bag of crisps and biscuits xxx

sarah707
04-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Over the years I have developed a no-nonsense approach to crappy food coming through my door. Straight out of their hand, onto the work surface, wrapped in a bit of cling film ready to take home at the end of the day... it doesn't get past the back door, so the other children aren't upset.

If the child tantrums, I offer a banana / slices of apple / orange / toast / grapes etc if they are hungry (in parents hearing) and ignore.

They maybe have a tantrum or 2 to start with but they quickly learn and it tends to tail off happening after that - I think they gobble it all up in the car, which is fine by me! :D

disney
04-03-2008, 10:35 AM
its so bad isnt it really annoying i have one child who keeps on saying choc bar choc bar every 5 mins :angry: i keep on pushing the fruit at them and they all eat it but when i tell the parents they say oh they dont eat fruit at home only chocolate and crisps.i always say i dont have any crisps or choc bars only fruit and they always eat it . also had a mum who said when i picked her child up from playschool would i give her a bar of chocolate i said no as this upsets the other children i pick up and no to mention we are having our lunch as soon as we get home , dont get some of um :rolleyes: x

Tatia
04-03-2008, 11:10 AM
I had a child show up with packet of chocolate biscuits. Mum said "oh sorry, he didn't have time for breakfast this morning". So I took them from him immediately and gave him a bowl of weetabix or something. Crazy. This is an older child I only have during hols so he is with me all day and ALL DAY he keeps asking for crisps and biscuits and sweeties. And ALL DAY I keep telling him no, he can have a bit of fruit instead (in between meals and snacks). Course, he's also the one who showed up next day with 2 slices of white bread at my back-up minders cos all she has is brown bread and refused to buy white just for his morning toast.:laughing:

fionamal
04-03-2008, 11:24 AM
I used to have 2 little ones arrive at 7.45am with a choc biscuit in one hand and bag of crisps in the other and the mum would say thats their breakfast as she hadnt time. She too soon learned that not to give them to them as I took them off them and they got them to go home with.

I always make sure that my 2 have a decent breakfast before we go out and always have fruit at hand. They only get chocs and sweets for special occasions as id rather they had fruit.
(im a bad mum, I know)

Cheeky Chops
04-03-2008, 12:34 PM
I totally agree with this, I found it really hard, used to have a little girl come with a packet of crisps n a gingerbread man in her hand every morning at 10. she refused to eat her dinner at 12 and by 2 was hungry, it really messed up meal times!!

But her mum said she wanted to give her it while she walked round town as it kept her quiet, well what can you do?? Its up to them at the end of the day!! x

Heaven Scent
04-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Don't get me started the worst ones are the fibbers (L***s) who say that their children don't get junk food and sweets and the kids tell you all about going to McD's and havins treats etc or you see them out and about with them.

Celine

anneriddington
04-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Glad to see Im not the only one who has this problem. Next time I think I will remove the offending items and as she arrives at 10 sit all mindees down for something a little healthier. Mind you S was still coming to me at 18 month old with a packed lucnh box which always contained the same 2 jars of baby food (puddings only) and a packet of crisps. No exactly a balanced diet!! I soon suggested that perhapsit would be better if she had the same lunch as the others I mind who I provide food for they are all similar ages and then at least there would be any disagreement over them wanting her food and she would - I hope - be having healthier food:)

Mollymop
04-03-2008, 01:35 PM
I can understand what you are all saying. It seems quite shocking that some paretns let there kids eat like this.
I would never ever give my child biscuit or crisps, etc for breakfast. I don't like my kids eating crisps full stop.
But I don't think there is any harm in a child having a biscuit now and again as a snack. I told ofsted that i wouldn't let them eat sweets and stuff, but she told me that some sweeties now and again does not hurt.
At my daughters playschool (brilliant ofsted report) they give them milk and biscuits as a snack plus fruit, etc.

crazybones
04-03-2008, 01:37 PM
I have one that, on more than one occsion, has had a lollipop for breakfast. Why? Because he wanted it.:angry: :rolleyes:

Annie x

ma7ie
04-03-2008, 01:41 PM
I had an interview with a young woman wanting care for her 22 month old the other week and the boy had a bottle hanging out of his mouth with fizzy lemonade in it. She also had a carrier bag with her containing chocolate bars, and a two litre bottle of lemonade with which she continuously refilled the child's bottle. Apparently it's the only thing he will drink! :(

jmoff
04-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Oh yea, one of mine turned up at 9am with a chocolate mouth and his mum said "oh, he had a bad tantrum so I gave him chocolate" ...and the following week she brought him over at 2pm saying "Could you give him some lunch, he only ate 2 doughnuts a couple of hours ago"

NIce...

Annie_T
04-03-2008, 02:32 PM
oh dear... and people wonder why we have so many obose (erm pass if spelt right lol) children and rotten teeth etc...

if she knew what time you gave snacks etc thats bad too coz she could of made her wait - i would of done really

Tatia
04-03-2008, 04:14 PM
But I don't think there is any harm in a child having a biscuit now and again as a snack.
Oh I agree with you. After-schoolers always have 2 biscuits each after they finish their fruit and veg platter. :) I don't have any mindees I'm doing dinner for right now so it's just a nice healthy snack after school. They never leave the healthy stuff in favour of the biscuits, though. They really enjoy all the new, fun stuff we try (current favourite are cherries and avacado). Little ones during the day can have a biscuit after lunch.

Sometimes, we even make a trip to the bakery and choose a cake. I don;t believe in depriving kids of sweets. I just think they should be handed out in moderation.

Heck, even I can't get round Waitrose without stopping at the bakery sectin for a soft baked chocolate chip cookie to eat on the way home!

Splish Splosh
04-03-2008, 04:25 PM
I have a mindee who is under the hospital for special dietry need.

just been for a check up today and has been told to watch her weight hence she turned up at mine at 12 with a pack a crisps in her hands.

deeb66
09-03-2008, 02:58 PM
I used to look after a little girl who's mum used to go on and on about how she could only have healthy foods but would sometimes turn up with a biscuit.

I used to take it away immediately and give her breakfast....

One day the little girl made such a fuss when I went to take it away and mum said to let her have it.....at that point I reminded her that the child hadn't even had breakfast yet and that it was her rules that she only ate healthy foods and that I didn't think that a biscuit for breakfast was 'healthy'

She never turned up with a biscuit again but I did quite often see evidence of a biscuit that had been eaten :angry: