PDA

View Full Version : Sea monkeys

Roseolivia
20-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Who has some?? I've just bought some today. Are they easy to care for??

LOOPYLISA
20-11-2009, 06:24 PM
Yes, if you don't tip them down the sink :laughing:

sweets
20-11-2009, 06:24 PM
i knew a child who had them a few years ago. they are easy to look after but dont really last that long! they are weird little things, when fully grown they look like teeny tiny prawns!:laughing:

haribo
21-11-2009, 08:09 AM
my 2 had them years ago . they are great fun and very easy to care for . there other name is water flea lol i didnt get ay more after i heard that :laughing:

angeldelight
21-11-2009, 08:10 AM
oh i want some

:laughing:

Angel xx

Tatia
21-11-2009, 11:36 AM
They last ages if you look after them properly!!! Oooooh, I love, love, love sea monkeys! I've always had them from a child. My Dad used to order them for me from the back of comic books before you could buy them in toy shops. My last colony lasted for a year before we went away for Xmas and my step-son neglected them for 3 weeks. :( I was just talking the other day about getting a new tank. When I childminded, we had them as an ongoing project and kept a sea monkey journal for the mindees to record their observations, feedings, that sort of thing. It was totally fantastic. I've been thinking of doing something similar at the children's centre with my Friday drop-in group.

Oh look, you've gone and gotten me all revved up!:clapping: :laughing:

Tatia
21-11-2009, 11:37 AM
They're actually brine shrimp. They're not so attractive if you Google them up but in the water, they're actually quite lovely cos all their wiggly bits float around in the water like a mermaid's hair.

Okay, now I've gone and shown myself up for a freak, haven't I? :blush:

Blackhorse
21-11-2009, 11:38 AM
hmm..i have a fish tank lying around that is not being used....

I just always worry that the mindees wont be interested in it...or not for long and then I am stuck with the sea monkeys or whatever it may be and nobody bothers with it anymore..

like your idea about there diary etc...

need to have a good think about it

singingcactus
21-11-2009, 02:07 PM
we got them once - either sea monkeys or triops, i forget which, but they didn't hatch at all :( .
We might try it again this year seeing as how all yours have hatched.
Although I do like the look of those blue ant farms, I will be getting one of those in the summer.

Hmm, the more I think about it the more I think they were triops not monkeys.

Roseolivia
21-11-2009, 03:31 PM
oh i want some

:laughing:

Angel xx

Tesco are selling them for £2.50 instead of £10

Roseolivia
21-11-2009, 03:33 PM
They're actually brine shrimp. They're not so attractive if you Google them up but in the water, they're actually quite lovely cos all their wiggly bits float around in the water like a mermaid's hair.

Okay, now I've gone and shown myself up for a freak, haven't I? :blush:

They sound cool, can't wait until mine hatch. I'll be checking them every morning. That's a great ides for the mindees to observe and feed, i could do a sea mo:clapping: nkey chart.

Blackhorse
21-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Tesco are selling them for £2.50 instead of £10

I might get some too then...:thumbsup:

Tatia
23-11-2009, 01:46 PM
You can barely see them at first, just eensy little dots. But as they get bigger, you can observe with the naked eye.

I'd start with a small tank because you have to be able to clean them but stiill keep the same water. Ummm...okay, you can't upset their environment too much but the sides of the tank start to look green and filthy. So I would gently pour the water and sea monkeys into another container, scrub the tank, rinse thoroughly with hot water and then, after it was cool, pour the monkeys and water back into the tank and then top back up with tap water to the recommended fill line. Does that make sense?

Daisy1956
23-11-2009, 02:24 PM
thought they sounded great until.................flea no i dont think so afterall

LittleAcorns
23-11-2009, 02:29 PM
I love them!!! so fascinating and grow really fast, you do need to know what youre doing and not over feed etc or they die :panic: tried some trips but they never hatched :(

Roseolivia
24-11-2009, 09:16 AM
You can barely see them at first, just eensy little dots. But as they get bigger, you can observe with the naked eye.

I'd start with a small tank because you have to be able to clean them but stiill keep the same water. Ummm...okay, you can't upset their environment too much but the sides of the tank start to look green and filthy. So I would gently pour the water and sea monkeys into another container, scrub the tank, rinse thoroughly with hot water and then, after it was cool, pour the monkeys and water back into the tank and then top back up with tap water to the recommended fill line. Does that make sense?

Yes:laughing: