PDA

View Full Version : son looking for a job

chels55
20-11-2009, 04:33 PM
My son has been looking for a saturday or after school job for about six months, he has been turned away constantly( most don't even take a cv)_ and has never even got to the interview stage, he is getting really disheartend now as a lot of his mates have got jobs through friends of parents but i don't know anyone that could help. I know that a lot of people are out of work now and theres people with experience which he doesn't have.
He has tried loads of shops thinking that if he gets something just till christmas that will give him some experience, any suggestions of other places that would take on a 17 yr old who is still in school

I think the minimum wage for under 18s is £3.57 ph hour thats more than us:laughing: :laughing:

ajs
20-11-2009, 04:38 PM
how about a supermarket
my son has worked in morrisons for over a year now
but he found it really hard to get a job until he had english gcse

good luck to your son though i know it's very hard for teenagers these days

Blaze
20-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Argos take on seasonal staff & prefer younger people as it's a lower minimum wage - do you have one near? Also has he tried pubs & restaurants - eother waiting staff or work in the kitchen - they also tend to higher seasonal staff to deal with the extra trade over xmas. Good luck to your son.:)

Chimps Childminding
20-11-2009, 05:58 PM
I sympathise with your ds. Mine was in the same position last year, lots of places wouldn't take him on as he as only 17 and even some of the supermarket jobs you can't do until you are 18. Also as he had no experience others wouldn't give him the chance.

It took him several months, but in the end he did get something, only packing in a warehouse, but at least it gives him a reason to get up, a bit of money in his pocket and more importantly experience.

Tell your son to just keep trying supermarkets, mcdonalds, restaurants, diy places, anywhere, hopefully something will come up before long! :thumbsup:

chels55
20-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks for ideas.
He put an application form in to argos a few weeks back, i think it's because he is limited to the hours he can work because of school.
I know he hasn't thought about restaurants so thats another option to try.
Its really hard for him and knocking his confidence so hopefully something will come of his efforts soon

Blackhorse
20-11-2009, 07:03 PM
would it be a possibility for him to go and volunteer somewhere until he gets a job...that way he can actually gain some experience and although he is not getting paid he can still gain from it that way...and as he doesnt have a job just yet anyways he wont loose out financially either..

a lot of companies appreciate the fact that people have done something before even if voluntary as it shows them committment and they know they gained some work experience....

just a thought

devoncm
20-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Id suggest supermarkets, I know that when Jasmine applied for Tesco they said to come back when she was 16,