PDA

View Full Version : potty trained 2 year old..not!!

moogster1a
20-11-2009, 11:56 AM
Bit of advice please.
parents of just 2 year old mindee turned up on Tues. morning proudly saying she's not in nappies at all in the day, they'd put in sparers and trousers. needless to say all clothes wet through within about an hour.
When I told parents they asked me to perservere which I have done. She's fine in the house if she's nude from the waist down she'll go and use the potty.
However, the second she's dressed and leaving the house she wees. Just now, put her on potty before nursery run, by the time we got there ( about 4 mins. away ) she'd weed all over the car seat.
Just found there's no spare trousers in her bag.
Do I subtly tell parents expecting a 2 year old to be dry is unrealistc? I can't have her weeing all over the place when we go out.
i suggested to Mum that we continue with pull ups but she said she didn't want to confuse lo as she's in knickers at home ( where they stay in most of the time!). To go out now today and do the school run she's going to have to borrow a pair oif my ds trousers ( with a nappy on!!)

FizzysFriends
20-11-2009, 02:40 PM
I would suggest they wait until they Christmas holidays and spend their time off work (if they have some) working on potty training so when the LO returns to you they are more reliable. This might help them work out shes not ready if she isn't.

tashaleee
20-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Unfortunately I can sympathise as had exactly the same with a 2 year old recently! I ended up 'giving it a go' as they requested but ended up having to say that 'we need to work together and 'x' is definitely not ready for potty training. By all means at home thats fine for you to encourage and I offered to take the child when others went to the toilet which mum was happy about and suggested when she is off over xmas it would be good for her to work on if she wishes.....' I also explained that it is easier one on one, but here I have several children including a baby and I physically cant be running to the toilet every 5 mins or cleaning up wee from the carpet!

I have since heard that 'x' has managed to wee all over their sofa and all over the house.... they are sooo not ready for toilet training! They now wear training pants in my house - and several weeks later are not the least bit interested in being toilet trained :rolleyes:

tinynippers
20-11-2009, 05:25 PM
how about agreeing to no nappy in the house but maybe a nappy/pull ups just for going out??? this is what we did with our own dd. it actually worked really well as we slowly started going out with out the nappy and built it up to the longer journey's. also can i ask does she ask for the potty/wee wee at all when she has clothes on? i know it means carring more but i always had a potty with me when ever we were out. the looks i got some from people but it didnt matter to me. and dd soon got fed up with having a cold bum. bless her. hope it works out. xxx

Pudding Girl
20-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Interesting post when I've jsut read this one over on Mumsnet!
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/864252-Problems-with-the-Child-Minder

singingcactus
20-11-2009, 07:14 PM
You could maybe tell the parents of this particular two year old that it is unrealistic to expect her to be potty trained, but it is not unrealistic to expect two year old in general to be potty trained at all. All three of my sons were, well before their second birthdays, with no accidents.
You might need to watch more closely for the cues that the child will be giving when she needs to go wee. I don't know how long you have had this child, but if you don't know her so well, you will have to be a bit more pro active I guess.

beccas
20-11-2009, 07:20 PM
I have the same my mindee at aged 2 doesn't know when he needs toliet but can tell you when hes done a poo... mum called yesterday can i put him on potty every time i change his nappy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why i asked he happily sits on it but does nothing he just thinks if he sits on it he will get a large drumbstick lolly which granma and mum give him.

candy cat
20-11-2009, 07:34 PM
My friend read some report about potty/toilet training and it says if a child can't walk backwards then it is pointless trying to attempt it.....kind of makes sense. My son was 2 and a half and i never ever used pull ups don't believe in them as I feel they need to experience feeling wet etc. It took 2 weeks and he was sorted!
It must be hard work especially this time of year...they could have waited a few months when it gets a bit warmer. good luck!

nannymcflea
20-11-2009, 07:57 PM
I've had one of these..."guess what...X is wearing pants!" Had we had a discussion regarding pottying said child(as stated in policy!)...NO!

We were about to put the house on the market and dh was a little miffed to say the least, needless to say wee everywhere, poo in pants...:angry:

Still, parents were convinced X was ready. 3 months later X was just about getting there!:eek:

I always put a nappy on when in the pushchair or car, no way would I be scrubbing needlessly. I'd tell parents that you will need to do this as you do not have the time to get seats cleaned and dry between uses.

PS I kept going, worked with the parents but it probably took longer than leaving it another month or so!

terrydoo73
20-11-2009, 10:20 PM
I was very interested in this posting as my little mindee was 2 in June and mum is showing no move towards starting him on potty training. His elder sister who is 1 1/2 years older informed me that mum had bought him pants! This child up until Monday of this week was being given a baby's bottle of milk every morning before he came to me and last thing at night. The child could be changed at 11.00 and 1.00 and still have nothing in his nappy - I mean not even damp! Then when it comes it comes and all of a sudden! I think you could time him. I hope they start at Christmas time when they have 2 weeks off and hopefully it will be settled when he comes back. Also this child has just started now not to sleep during the day.