PDA

View Full Version : swine flu jab

lou lou
20-11-2009, 07:50 AM
just wondering what you are all doing and your parents with the swine flu jab i have a daughter of three and i am really not sure what to do just wondering what your parents are doing and you with your children? It is allways a worry if you are doing the right thing.

grindal
20-11-2009, 07:57 AM
There was a post about this yesterday - there seem to be mixed feelings. I had my jab yesterday and booked DS1 and 2 and DH up for their jabs at the same time. I have a flu jab every year and my understanding is that the swine flu jab has been thru the same testing process it has just been done a lot faster. Flu and swine flu have both killed adults and children - personally, it is not a risk I am prepared to take with my children or my husband

Hebs
20-11-2009, 09:05 AM
we are not having it :thumbsup:

i'm asthmatic and have the flu jab, but will not have the swine flu one

LOOPYLISA
20-11-2009, 09:14 AM
I have the flu jab(pneumonia ) last year

Not having the swine flu though :panic:

jaja
20-11-2009, 10:19 AM
I havent had either and i am asthmaic(sp?) and neither have my kids, i find it odd that they have rushed through a jab and yes people have died form swine flu and flu but its only because there was such a fright about it that people went into panic about it, but then we could die just crossing the road and there isnt a jab for that...

I had this conversation last night with my mum and she is having it and doesnt understand where i am coming from, look at the girl that had a underlying problem and died form that other jab! i am not saying that we shoulsnt have jabs but use our common sense and think for ourselves instead of runshing in just becasue the doctors say its ok when we might not know the full facts.

Oh my god ive just ranted, sorry:blush: :blush: :blush:

I was the same about the mmr, josh had them private and seperate cause of the scares and hes now had the full mmr at 7, abigail had the mmr when she was 3 1/2 and had a raging temp and really poorly so i am gald i held off, abigail had fits for temperature until she was nealry 3...

I think its down to personal preference and choice...

I hope i havent upset anyone with how i feel about the jab xxx

Hebs
20-11-2009, 10:23 AM
my son was vaccine damaged by his MMR :(

funtoplay
20-11-2009, 12:58 PM
I actually can't see any arguement not to have it! It hasn't been rushed through, it is made from the same base as seasonal flu and the seasonal flu vaccine changes every year too, no one worries about that each year they get vaccinated. So unless you are allergic to egg the risk is so minimal!!

I will definately get both my girls vaccinated once it is available in my area.

Julia

FizzysFriends
20-11-2009, 02:22 PM
I haven't had my seasonal flu or swine flu yet this year as Im waiting for results from the hospital and don't want it with underlying health problems.

I will be having the jabs though.

AliceK
20-11-2009, 02:37 PM
we are not having it :thumbsup:

i'm asthmatic and have the flu jab, but will not have the swine flu one

Same here. I have had the flu jab but will not have the swine flu jab neither will my children. I read some very concerning things about in the paper towards the end of summer. Anyway me and DD have both had swine flu so hopefully we won't get it again. (fingers crossed)

xxxxx

singlewiththree
20-11-2009, 05:01 PM
I had the flu jab once and was very poorly afterwards so won't be giving it the girls for that reason.

Blackhorse
20-11-2009, 05:43 PM
I actually can't see any arguement not to have it! It hasn't been rushed through, it is made from the same base as seasonal flu and the seasonal flu vaccine changes every year too, no one worries about that each year they get vaccinated. So unless you are allergic to egg the risk is so minimal!!

I will definately get both my girls vaccinated once it is available in my area.

Julia

What swings it for me is that back home (austria) none of the medical staff are having them done even though they got if offered first as THEY say it hasnt been properly tested.
Now I am not going to get any jab that GPs and nurses are scared of taking. I am not the expert but they are.

I am all for vaccinations and my dd had them all but I will not let her have the swine flu one until it is properly tested.
I also already had the swine flu so no point in me having the jab anymore

my dp has asthma and he had seasonal flu jab but refused the swine flu one

LOOPYLISA
20-11-2009, 05:50 PM
I had the flu jab once and was very poorly afterwards so won't be giving it the girls for that reason.

I had the flu jab recently (due to pneumonia last year ) won't be having the swine flu one though, tbh not enough testing done,

Back to the point, when i had the jab i asked the nurse is it true the jab can give you flu, she said no, your immune system is low shortly after having the flu jab because the anti bodies in your system are working harder to create the resistance therefore if you come into contact within 2 weeks of having the jab with anyone that is carring the influenza virus you are more liable to contract it :thumbsup:

grindal
20-11-2009, 05:51 PM
What do you mean by properly tested? My understanding from what I have read about it is that the testing has been the same, but the testing framework shorter. Back in the summer when this first emerged there was no vaccine available. It has been developped very quickly - but why does that mean it is unreliable or unsafe if it has undergone the same testing procedure that seasonal flu vaccines have?

LOOPYLISA
20-11-2009, 06:01 PM
What do you mean by properly tested? My understanding from what I have read about it is that the testing has been the same, but the testing framework shorter. Back in the summer when this first emerged there was no vaccine available. It has been developed very quickly - but why does that mean it is unreliable or unsafe if it has undergone the same testing procedure that seasonal flu vaccines have?

As you stated yourself the time scale of testing was shorter the group tested upon was less which to my mind if the annual flu jab is tested to minimum standard which it is then urley the swine flu jab has been tested below minimum standards, therefore its been rushed through, this would give less time and less opportunity for side effects to show up, my partners doctor stated to him that he wouldn't give out tamiflu because he thought the risks ou weighed the benefits, also he stated he wouldn't be happy with any vaccination that in his veiw hadnt been screened correctly, i am sorry if my views go against those of the government and there medical ad visors, lets face it we know how much we can trust the government .

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
20-11-2009, 06:05 PM
I will not be having and neither will my children. My mum works at a doctors surgery and even the drs are not having it done, so if they will not have it done there is no way we are going to have it done.

I don't think it has been tested enough and I am not prepared to risk my family, both my girls have had swine flu.

That is just my opionion (sorry sp) and everybody has to do what is best for their family and what is right for them.

xxx

Blackhorse
20-11-2009, 06:10 PM
As you stated yourself the time scale of testing was shorter the group tested upon was less which to my mind if the annual flu jab is tested to minimum standard which it is then urley the swine flu jab has been tested below minimum standards, therefore its been rushed through, this would give less time and less opportunity for side effects to show up, my partners doctor stated to him that he wouldn't give out tamiflu because he thought the risks ou weighed the benefits, also he stated he wouldn't be happy with any vaccination that in his veiw hadnt been screened correctly, i am sorry if my views go against those of the government and there medical ad visors, lets face it we know how much we can trust the government .

exactly!........

Hebs
20-11-2009, 08:11 PM
it's like the cervical cancer jab... everyone rushed to get it (probably cos of Jade goody dying and it being so high profile at the time)

however the scientist who helped make it has since come out and said it needs to be stopped over safety concerns, i'm soooo glad melissa didn't have it done :thumbsup:

LOOPYLISA
20-11-2009, 08:23 PM
it's like the cervical cancer jab... everyone rushed to get it (probably cos of Jade goody dying and it being so high profile at the time)

however the scientist who helped make it has since come out and said it needs to be stopped over safety concerns, i'm soooo glad melissa didn't have it done :thumbsup:

Totally agree about cervical cancer jab :thumbsup:

However as women we need to be proactive and all have regular smears, i had one but all ok now :thumbsup:

The Juggler
21-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Same here. I have had the flu jab but will not have the swine flu jab neither will my children. I read some very concerning things about in the paper towards the end of summer. Anyway me and DD have both had swine flu so hopefully we won't get it again. (fingers crossed)

xxxxx

alice, what have you read. I've been researching the health sites but they don't really explain the dangers. I know testing was rushed. My son has been offered it due to being hospitalized for asthma this year and then having pneumonia. he's not been offered it before despite his asthma. however, I'm considering getting him normal flu jab rather than swine flu (he is 10).