PDA

View Full Version : Turning up early

Jemima77
19-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Sorry me again but this has really annoyed me!!
Mum is contracted to come from 7.45am. she has turned up at 7.30 twice this week already without letting me know and has just text me this evening to tell me she will drop off same time tommorrow!!! Shall I change my contracted hours or do I tell her I will charge an extra fee for being early!! I do have this in a policy that parents needs to let me know!!!! This is the same mum who I havent yet had money from for 3 months due to childcare grant problems....feel like I am slightly been taken for a ride! I need to toughen up I know!!!

Twinkles
19-11-2009, 10:21 PM
I would text back

' Sorry can't do that for you tomorrow. We can have another look at your contract next week if you think it may need changing ! '

The Juggler
19-11-2009, 10:51 PM
I agree, tell her you can't do it. Then if she wants these hours permanently, change the contract, charging more for earlier hours. If she wants it ad-hoc, tell her min. 24 hours notice and it WILL be charged each time.

wendywu
19-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Im sorry Jemima but why are you working without pay. Send her down to the bank for a short term loan. Her lack of grant should not be your problem.

12 weeks is far to long to go without any money :panic:

angeldelight
19-11-2009, 11:56 PM
I agree

I would have a word with her in the morning and ask if she wants to change her contract times

I had a parent that did this for ages and still does sometimes

I just dont answer the door now till its time even if its raining

Mean I know but they just never took the hint

You will get tougher I am sure

Good luck

Angel xx

charliegee
20-11-2009, 12:12 AM
I would text back

' Sorry can't do that for you tomorrow. We can have another look at your contract next week if you think it may need changing ! '

totally agree!! also good advise about her lack of grant not being your problem as it were too- gosh you poor thing, sounds a nightmare not being paid....hope all gets sorted for you ASAP!

XXX

CherryBlossom
20-11-2009, 10:50 AM
3 months without pay! That is disgraceful- I cannot believe some people feel it is ok to treat you like this.

I would chase that pay up asap!! Also, as others have said say you are not available tomorrow-why do her any favours when you are working for free!

xx

Alz
20-11-2009, 12:01 PM
As all above have said...you have bills to pay too etc!!!...send that text

Pipsqueak
20-11-2009, 12:08 PM
You must have the patience of a saint! 3 months without pay. It is not your faullt she hasn't received her money. Send her text and request payment very very soon - ie TODAY. Even if its part payment.

As to the arriving early - I would knock that on the head asap

helenlc
20-11-2009, 12:33 PM
In regards to being early - dont open the door until your contracted time. If she insists on needing to drop off at that time, tell her you can change the contract and she will be charged accordingly.

In regards to pay, I would write a polite (:angry: ) letter stating that you will work only until Xmas break and after that, if the bill has not been cleared, you will not have LO back. You could have another LO in that space who would be paying you. Also, how long are you prepared to let it go on for?

Harsh I know. I have not had to do it whilst childminding but last year I worked at the creche in the childrens centre and go no pay for about 3 months. In the end, I had to threaten not to come back - I got a cheque through the post 3 days later!!!:eek:

Basically, all the time she knows you are going to have LO, she doesnt need to chase anything up that desperately. Once she knows she faces loosing her LOs child care, she will soon come up with it either through chasing it up or by finding the money elsewhere.

Good luck with both!

mushpea
20-11-2009, 01:02 PM
i try to be flexible with parents on times as thats why they go to a childminder, i have a little boy contracted from 8am till 6pm his mum reguarly drops of at 7.45am without saying anything first but he has never been here past 5.40pm so i dont mind letting it go, if she was to collect a 6pm everynight then i would charge her extra for the earlyier start. he is a lovely easy going chap so i dont mind doing it if he was a hardwork child then i would probably have stopped it at the begining. as for not opening the door to him this is awkard to because my partner arrives home from work at about the same time she drops off and often lets him in anyway!

candy cat
20-11-2009, 01:15 PM
I think I would change contract if you are happy to.
I think this lady is possibly taking you for a ride regarding the money as surely she can chase this payment up. I would definatly do what one of the girls said..... to write and say you have two weeks to sort the money out or I end contract. I bet you she would be chasing that up if she thought she was going to lose you.

Let us know the outcome cx

terrydoo73
20-11-2009, 02:44 PM
I used to have a parent who did this - turn up early I mean. She started off with a written contract stating 8.00 to 4.00 pm then very gradually it changed to 7.00 to 5.00 pm. I was a soft touch - being a neighbour too didn't help any. What was worse was I knew where she was going to at this hour every day (ie 7.00 am) - the gym!! Child came also in pyjamas and dressing gown. I managed to nip this in the bud by stating that I was advised all children had to be dressed for the day when they came to me. I could never get around the early start and was glad to be able to tell her at beginning of 2009 I was taking on twins, I could still look after hers but she took the hump stating that her child would not get the 1 to 1 care she wanted it to receive. The child ended up in a nursery - 8.00 is the earliest they start and they charge full whack if you are late in the evening to collect. Her mum started to look after the child 1 day and then 3 days in nursery - mum soon got wise and gave it up so child is in nursery I believe 5 days a week now!

I also agree - definately should not work for 3 months without pay. I know you probably are OK because you have others who are paying but it is not fair that you should suffer because of her grant - contingencies have to be put in place by parents before agree to leave their child with you - I mean you wouldn't go out and work for 12 weeks without getting one penny would you?

Please let us know what happens - don't let yourself be known as a soft touch - your reputation will precede you for the next child you get!

little_gems
20-11-2009, 09:14 PM
i had a parent who hadnt have any money from her grant so she cut her hours down and paid me herself as she could just claim it all back!!! I peronally wouldn't work for a week without getting paid unless i personally knew the family!!
I'd charge for any early/late drop off.
Do you look after any other children???

Jemima77
21-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Yes I have four on my books but all part timers / after school so this one is my main income (or would be if paid) as I have her every day!!!!! I refused childcare and threatened legal action finally last week and she had a meeting with her union who rang me and explained that no money had yet been sent to her and would be with me within the next week!!!So I got it in writing and took her back...hence since the early starts and still no mention or sign of the money!!!! I feel so annoyed and feel like the time that I am looking after her child could be time with just me and my son!!!! Really dont know what to do next it is really stressing me out too!!Feel like a mug!

Curly Quavers
21-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Sorry me again but this has really annoyed me!!
Mum is contracted to come from 7.45am. she has turned up at 7.30 twice this week already without letting me know and has just text me this evening to tell me she will drop off same time tommorrow!!! Shall I change my contracted hours or do I tell her I will charge an extra fee for being early!! I do have this in a policy that parents needs to let me know!!!! This is the same mum who I havent yet had money from for 3 months due to childcare grant problems....feel like I am slightly been taken for a ride! I need to toughen up I know!!!

If it is happening on a regular basis and you are happy to start at 7.30 instead then change your contract.

3 months though :eek: I would be withdrawing all care - what if it gets to 6 months and she does a runner with your money?

You are in a difficult situation though. xx :)