PDA

View Full Version : Home time!!

Jemima77
19-11-2009, 10:01 PM
When my son was with his childminder I used to wonder why she always got him ready to leave before she answered the door!!!!!!! now i know!
I really feel like some parents take the michael and come in for a chat which I dont mind but gone 6pm all I want to do is have my tea and sit down! I now have one mum who leaves her buggy with me and she willl knock on for it with all her kids who also have started to come in whilst she is putting LO in the buggy!! I have started to leave it outside but she still ****** knocks on to let me know she has taken it!!!! AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I feel like my house is turning into a drop in centre and my partner is also getting annoyed! How would anyone else deal with this????

Twinkles
19-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Drop in centre - counselling service in the kitchen , endless supply of cups of tea...........

nokidshere
19-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Drop in centre - counselling service in the kitchen , endless supply of cups of tea...........

LOL sounds exactly like my house!!!

Trouble
19-11-2009, 10:26 PM
i had a classic one today saw the real side of mindee

but tomorrow if it happens she will have coat and boots on ready then i dont witness what i saw today:panic:

10 mins asking her to put her coat on hey "PUT THE COAT ON HER" she is 2 1/2 and your 34:angry: :angry: :angry:

lou lou
20-11-2009, 07:03 AM
i have a lady like that she picks her child up at 5.15 and she is still there at six trying to put his coat on and of course because his mum is there he plays up i often think just put his coat and pick him and take him home and it just makes everything that bit later by the time i clear up and give my daughter a bath it is gone seven then i do my tea do they just not think sometimes i have done my days work with them. my partner also gets annoyed

angeldelight
20-11-2009, 07:11 AM
A few years ago I gave up childminding for a while for a number of reasons - one of them was feeling that my home was never my own and parents plonking themselves down in MY time

I dont invite them in any more I learnt from it and did feel mean when I started to do this - but now I have kids ready at the door and parents are more than welcome to arrange a visit if they need a chat

Its worked well and I explain to new parents when I meet them that its quick drop off and quick collection because I am busy.
A lot of parents have told me that they do prefer it ( although I still have one that would chat for an hour at the door whatever the weather - thats a different story though ha ha )

If you are not happy and want to do the same then its up to you - your time once you finish is YOUR time - your business your rules !!

You could do a news letter explaining that because you are busy and because you have to see to your own family after work you will be having quick drop off and quick collection - explain it will be a little like school and nursery - bet they dont expect a cuppa there do they :laughing: :laughing:

Good luck let us know what you decide to do

Angel xxx

Roseolivia
20-11-2009, 07:15 AM
My parents rarely get past my doorway but i'm lucky that they never want to stay and chat:clapping:

PixiePetal
20-11-2009, 09:13 AM
My mindee who has just left to start school was with me from the age of 8 months. Mum and I have become friends and she has always respected 'my' time.

When mindee was going through a daft pick up stage at about 2, I used to put buggy, bucket of dirty washable nappies and bag outside the door (dad walked him to me in the mornings and left buggy). Mum would load the car and come back for child - when I would be ready at the door and she then had hands free to pick up and take if he played up :thumbsup:

Worked well for us both. She would then phone if she needed to chat child free:)

LOOPYLISA
20-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Poor you, it would drive me mad, my house not being my own or dd or hubbys was a small part of the reason i gave up cm,

Really hope its sorted soon hun x

gegele
20-11-2009, 10:35 AM
i had even better LOL

mum would arrive before us in front of my home, kid would tantrum as she didn't have time to play, so mum would come in my home with her child and play for 15-20min!!!!! felt like a communal park!!!!:laughing: :laughing:

helenlc
20-11-2009, 12:38 PM
I get kids ready to go and hand them over at the door.

My friend had one mum who used to stay an hour!!:eek: I dont think so!!:panic:

terrydoo73
20-11-2009, 02:57 PM
This is a great idea to have kids ready for mum to pick up but my problem is knowing when mum will actually pick them up. I mean I am contracted until 5.00 every day but she turns up anything from 3.30 to 5.00 and you never could know when it will be - yes she has even turned up later than 5 some days. I mean this week started off with 3.45 on Monday, 4.00 on Tuesday, 5.10 on Wednesday, 5.00 yesterday and I guarantee because this is Friday it will be well after 5.00 today. She is a teacher and sees nothing wrong that sitting in the staff room come 3.30 and discussing the week with all the others - she once said to me - I need some time to unwind too away from the children - what about me?? Friday night is my night to get the house sorted, groceries bought and clear up bits and pieces of clothing to be washed and dried. I don't think parents really consider that. This particular mum thinks it is awful that she has 2 full days ahead with her kids!

Also my children never come with coats all the time so I supply as necessary. They do have a bag with spare nappies, clothes and lunch box in it and I usually have that all sitting on the kitchen table ready to be lifted but what really annoys me is this pattern. Mum knocks the door, I open it, her kids run out into the yard but not towards the car, rather round and round as a game. She did pick up on this and closed the door for a while but has slipped back into old pattern again. The children can waste nearly half an hour running round my house outside before she eventually gets into the car - I do feel for her but her hubby has much better idea when he comes. He tells them to take his hand and if they refuse and run on out he stands where he is until they come back to him. They listen to him!!

The other thing I hate is what I am not told. I could say to mum tonight "he didn't sleep today" and she would turn around and say "well he doesn't sleep for me at the weekends now" I mean shouldn't I be told this rather than wasting my efforts to get him over? She probably thinks I want an easy life with an hour off during the day for him to sleep! Also she makes a big issue out of both of their eating and I think this is not a real problem - for me it is the playing issue because neither of them actually play with toys in my house. She on the other hand when I say this says "oh well in my house we just switch on CBeebies and that keeps them happy". Parents - aaaghh!

Winnie
20-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Also my children never come with coats all the time so I supply as necessary. They do have a bag with spare nappies, clothes and lunch box in it and I usually have that all sitting on the kitchen table ready to be lifted but what really annoys me is this pattern. Mum knocks the door, I open it, her kids run out into the yard but not towards the car, rather round and round as a game. She did pick up on this and closed the door for a while but has slipped back into old pattern again. The children can waste nearly half an hour running round my house outside before she eventually gets into the car - I do feel for her but her hubby has much better idea when he comes. He tells them to take his hand and if they refuse and run on out he stands where he is until they come back to him. They listen to him!!

Could you call out "just coming" and quickly get the children to the door, coats on quick, before you actually open the door? Once you open the door and they leave you can give a cheery "bye!" & shut the door quick :laughing: Whatever you do do not let them mess about inside your home during pick-up, the best way to stop it happening is not to let mum in!
(Many any years ago i had a mum (a Dr) that couldnt control her children, they would run away and if they got outside into the front garden she would chase them around for ages trying to persuade them to the car- i would just shut the door :D )

helenlc
21-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Could you call out "just coming" and quickly get the children to the door, coats on quick, before you actually open the door? Once you open the door and they leave you can give a cheery "bye!" & shut the door quick :laughing: Whatever you do do not let them mess about inside your home during pick-up, the best way to stop it happening is not to let mum in!
(Many any years ago i had a mum (a Dr) that couldnt control her children, they would run away and if they got outside into the front garden she would chase them around for ages trying to persuade them to the car- i would just shut the door :D )

I agree with this as well.

Do as you and have everything ready by the door. When the doorbell goes, call the children to the door with you and open the door. If they run out, so be it - they are no longer your responisbility. Hand over the bags/luches etc, a quick word about how they have been, then say "Excuse me but I have to get back indoors now, see you next time" and shut the door!!!

I know it sounds harsh but if you do this for a couple of weeks, she will soon get the message.

We give enough of our time and house to these poeple's children every day. I dont know if you have your own young children - mine are 12 and 9. Once the mindees have gone, that is OUR time!!! I quickly tidy up and wash up, sweep up etc. Then we go and have a bath, read books, talk about our days, have a cuddle, watch a bit of TV, play a game etc. All the time you have them messing around at pick up time, you are missing out on YOUR time either with your children or to relax by yourself.

Curly Quavers
21-11-2009, 11:58 AM
My parents rarely get past my doorway but i'm lucky that they never want to stay and chat:clapping:

Mine are like this.

I don't want my house to be open to everybody all the time it is my home and my space.

Ripeberry
21-11-2009, 12:29 PM
I have one parent who comes in and has a chat and together we try and get her girl to put shoes on, coat, but she is never here for longer than 20 mins as she has to pick up son from after school club and if she is late for that she gets fined £10! :eek: So not too bad.

RedDragon
21-11-2009, 12:40 PM
I have noticed that my parents lately have started to tread all over my cream rug (about 4 foot by 6 foot) with their shoes on - and it's REALLY bugging me. Even though I say "Off the rug" they still tread on it 5 seconds later.

So enough!!! This week I have physically stopped them from going further than a few steps into my playroom!! by standing in their way lol

I have explained to the mindees that I needed their help in sorting this problem out and they stopped their parents coming more than a few steps!!! lol lol

We don't wear shoes indoors and I don't want dirt of any sort brought in on shoes - ewww.

Chatterbox Childcare
21-11-2009, 03:18 PM
I have mine ready to go. Door in between the lounge and front door is closed. I don't open the door until mindee is ready.

nokidshere
22-11-2009, 02:22 PM
I quite like that mine want to stay and chat :D Sometimes 2 or 3 will arrive together and they make coffee and have a natter for 20 mins or so. Its never really been an issue - if at any time I want or need them to leave quickly I just say so.

Jemima77
23-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Well tonight went quite well......said to LO that we should get our shoes on to suprise Daddy as soon as he knocks on the door!! It worked....LO wouldnt let me open it till his shoes and coat were on and then off they went!!! Whole procedure done and dusted within 2 minutes when it was taking at least 10 before cos he would hide under the table and generally faff about!!!! Fantastic...will repeat tommorrow xxxxx

Goatgirl
23-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Brilliant! Well done Jemima. Bet it feels great :thumbsup:
I'd still be making a big fuss of how well he behaved tomorrow too, maybe even giving him a special sticker :) ... would it be too rude to have a 'leave promptly' star chart for parents I wonder :D ?
Glad you've got it under control. I remember when I had this stress every evening. Those few minutes of annoyance, just put the whole day under a cloud...

bws,
Wendy :)

Jemima77
23-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Thanks Florabird I feel very good about it and yes a sticker chart may be the answer. I have just completed my first ever newsletter and have put in there about the prompt leaving each evening being a benefit for the parents more than anything!!! Will see how it goes xx

angeldelight
24-11-2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks Florabird I feel very good about it and yes a sticker chart may be the answer. I have just completed my first ever newsletter and have put in there about the prompt leaving each evening being a benefit for the parents more than anything!!! Will see how it goes xx

Well done

Hope they take the hint now

Angel xxxx

FizzysFriends
24-11-2009, 11:07 AM
I don't open the front door until their shoes are on else I have that regresses and can't put her shoes and coat on and sits and crys.

I have my DD on look out and if she sees a parent coming up the road she ushers the relavant child to the hall to start getting ready to go.

Jelly Baby
24-11-2009, 11:17 AM
Luckily all of mine are pretty good at going home tbh..one i had years ago was terrible (prob posted on here about him).absolute nightmare to get out of the house and no authority from mum stressed me right out! i hope things improve and stay calmer!