PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen question

JennyM
19-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Hi all

Sorry for just posting questions so far but when I know a bit more about what I am doing, I will hopefully be able to contribute a bit more!

I have a gate on my kitchen door and will not let children into the kitchen when I am minding. Will I still need to include the kitchen in my risk assessment?

Thank you!

Zoomie
19-11-2009, 09:48 PM
You know, when I did my RA before I got mindees I said the same thing. No access, but I still RA'd it cos I could cut myself / get electrocuted etc.

Anyhow, once I started minding I realised that denying access to the kitchen just wasn't possible. We put our dirty dishes in the kitchen, we get cutlery out of the drawers, we cook / bake etc ....

Only time I don't allow access is if the stove is on. Then the gate is shut and no children allowed in. My own DD is such a star when she hears the lighter for the gas stove ... she is out in a flash :littleangel: .

JennyM
20-11-2009, 11:56 AM
That is a really good idea to say that only no access when cooker is on!

I already have safety catches on all the doors/drawers etc so I think that will probably work ok. Thank you so much!

Pipsqueak
20-11-2009, 11:59 AM
I am the same as Zoomie - if I am hectic cooking (ie tea) then sorry kids are not allowed in the kitchen, its amazing how quick they catch onto this.
If its an activity or less hectic time (ie lunch, prepping snack) then we are in the kitchen together.

I tried the no entry to kitchen route with a gate, I found it caused more problems.

Children need to learn about safety in the kitchen and that includes not touching the cooker!

PixiePetal
20-11-2009, 12:48 PM
To get to my downstairs loo you have to go from playroom, through hall, kitchen,dining and utility rooms!

At the moment I only have one mindee who is in nappies so no need for him to go through alone. When oven is off, no problem. When it is on I think I will have to take some toys into dining room to play or draw up at the table. Will re assess when new mindees start I think and do RA.

buildingblocks
20-11-2009, 01:25 PM
That is a really good idea to say that only no access when cooker is on! I already have safety catches on all the doors/drawers etc so I think that will probably work ok. Thank you so much!

I have just a gate across my kitchen. I don't have any safety catches on my cupboard doors. My cleaning stuff is in a high up cupboard. Ofsted were fine with this. As has been said I RA'd it as I use it for cooking activities, etc.

mind you my bathroom cupboard has a chain and padlock on it as that is where I keep the upstairs cleaning stuff lol. We did have it on top of the cupboard but I couldn't reach it so it went under the bathroom sink.