PDA

View Full Version : Teachers & Term Time Only Care

Carpet Monkeys
19-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Evening

What would you do if you have a teacher that only requires term time care, would you charge half fees/retainer during school holidays?

TIA

butterflyAdam
19-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi Tia

I look after a teacher's children. I get all the holidays paid in full apart from the summer holidays when it is half pay.

HTH

Eleanor x

christine e
19-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Hi

I charge half fee for school holidays but if for any reason the children don't come during term time eg a school residential trip I charge full

Cx

Roseolivia
19-11-2009, 05:20 PM
My parents are teachers and i charge half during the holidays. I take my holidays when they do so i still charge them even though i'm not available and have never had a parent disagree.

bec123
19-11-2009, 05:42 PM
I used to care for a little girl whose mum was a teacher. I only used to look after her on a part time basis and during term time. During the holidays I used to charge a retainer fee but it was only something like £15-£20 as I only had her 2 days a week.

terrydoo73
19-11-2009, 06:02 PM
I look after 2 children from the one family whose parents are both teachers (ie father and mother). I do not charge for Christmas, Easter or Summer simply because it means I am not obliged to have them at all during these times and I can organise my family holidays for these times. It also helps to keep my tax bills low each year!

Needless to say I would never agree to this ever again as 9 times out of 10 I end up having to work with these children until Christmas to get them back into the way of my setting again!

mushpea
19-11-2009, 06:19 PM
I have a teachers child and i dont charge a retainer as i feel its nice for my own chldren to have less mindees here in the hols and also I dont then have to worry about them needing me in the hols as if i had this child aswell i wouldnt fit them all in the car!!

Twinkles
19-11-2009, 06:23 PM
I have always worked for teachers and I charge half fees in the school holidays.

westbrom44
19-11-2009, 06:39 PM
I dont offer term time only contracts as I cant afford to. I care for two children from seperate families whose parents are teachers who pay for all year. I dont charge if I am on holiday though.

Daisy1956
19-11-2009, 08:56 PM
I mind for school teachers I charged half fee for holidays I work out. how much term time fees are add the holidays and split into 12 months so i recieve the
same each month. Works for me

amanda1309
19-11-2009, 09:01 PM
I mind for school teachers I charged half fee for holidays I work out. how much term time fees are add the holidays and split into 12 months so i recieve the
same each month. Works for me

I do exactly the same.
Then if they need me through the hols they make up the other half and pay on a pay as you use basis.

CherryBlossom
19-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Ooh this is handy for me-have Teachers coming out to see my next week.
x

nokidshere
19-11-2009, 10:15 PM
I also have teachers term time only.

I do 39 weeks full fees
11 weeks half fees
2 weeks no fee (my hol)

add it all together and times by 12 :D

The Juggler
19-11-2009, 10:54 PM
I charge no fee in the holidays because it suits me and I only work 2 days with four of my mindees in the holidays. You have to do what you need. If you wanted to work all year round, you should charge at least a retainer but if you'd rather have more time with your kids in the holidays.

singlewiththree
20-11-2009, 07:06 AM
I too only work term time so don't get paid for the holidays. I have found that I get more clients that way and therefore am full term time. I work adhoc in the holidays for other families but not tied to anything. I work it out over the 39 week term and then I get paid every month the same amount regardless of whether i work or not.

The Juggler
20-11-2009, 07:45 AM
I work it out over the 39 week term and then I get paid every month the same amount regardless of whether i work or not.

that's what I do too

grindal
20-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Both my mindees have teachers as parents - and I charge half in the holidays, but am available to look after them if parents want me to. I have a new one starting next year and have agreed with mum that she will pay an increased rate for a term time only contract. When I used a childminder for DS1 I was a teacher and agreed to pay half in the school holidays then she added on 4 weeks holiday pay for herself as well when we went to sign the contracts - and then she charged me for a weeks holiday when I terminated the contracts - and I had 2 children there by then (and there was no mention of pro rata holiday pay anywhere in the contract). It cost me a fortune!

ziggy
20-11-2009, 08:17 AM
one of my parents is a teacher, she is happy to pay half during hols if i'm here. When i am away i dont charge.

SmartKids
20-11-2009, 01:52 PM
I charge 1/2 fee for all school holidays and if the parent wishes to use their space they then pay the other 1/2

Rasharoon
20-11-2009, 02:46 PM
I have teachers children where I charge a 50% retainer during holidays - apart from the 5 weeks I have a year where I don't charge.

little_gems
20-11-2009, 08:48 PM
i charge half fees during school holidays if they dont come. If they do come then i just charge per day!! hope this helps its all so confusing :rolleyes:

carol cameron
20-11-2009, 09:59 PM
I am so interested that minders can charge a retainer for school holidays and parents will pay. I have some children term time only and others holiday time only so have just charged when they attend. They don't get a reduction if they are off at all during term time though- whatever the reason!