PDA

View Full Version : Tumble dryer safety?

sianyp
19-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Hi, I'm new on here and have recently moved house. By necessity lots of my toys are now stored in a sun room with tumble dryer and washing machine. I guess I can keep them safe by turning off when not in use and supervision of course! But what I would like to do is put child safety locks on them too - does anyone know of any that work for these appliances??

I've bought a clippasafe multi purpose latch, which looked good for the irregular shape but it says not to install on appliances which generate heat.

Any ideas gratefully received!! Thanks

sarah707
19-11-2009, 06:06 PM
The eyfs says that we must keep children away from laundry machines... though that's almost impossible for most childminders as they tend to be in kitchens!

I would definitely look at some way of showing Ofsted how you protect the children and do a risk assessment which looks at worst case scenarios and says the steps you take to keep them safe.

Hth :D

patevans
19-11-2009, 06:07 PM
I have these on mine -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Clippasafe-MINI-MULTI-PURPOSE-Lock-Latches-x-2_W0QQitemZ330298042120QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Baby_ Baby_Safety_ET?hash=item4ce74c2708

They have been on for give 5 years and non of the children have ever got into them, have them on tumble, washer and dishwasher!

Mouse
19-11-2009, 06:15 PM
The eyfs says that we must keep children away from laundry machines... though that's almost impossible for most childminders as they tend to be in kitchens!

:D

I didn't know that. I was told that things like the washing machine are all part of ICT (programming, pushing buttons etc). My little mindees love to help me to unload the machine & put the clothes in the drier. They then help to fold the dry clothes and sort them into piles (OK, I have to do them again myself, but they try!) They're never allowed to touch the dirty clothes and only help with the dry clothes when they are cold.
Ofsted have always been quite happy with this.

sarah707
19-11-2009, 06:17 PM
I didn't know that. I was told that things like the washing machine are all part of ICT (programming, pushing buttons etc). My little mindees love to help me to unload the machine & put the clothes in the drier. They then help to fold the dry clothes and sort them into piles (OK, I have to do them again myself, but they try!) They're never allowed to touch the dirty clothes and only help with the dry clothes when they are cold.
Ofsted have always been quite happy with this.

The Eyfs wording is...

Children should not be allowed access to any laundry facilities that are provided on site.

I have not heard of any inspectors actually saying anything about it, probably because in this instance they are using their common sense...

But it's there, so I thought I'd point it out :D

Mouse
19-11-2009, 06:21 PM
inspectors, common sense...can you use those words in the same sentence :ROFL1:

On a course I went on once we were actively encouraged to let children help with household chores. The only thing I do while they are here is washing, so if the want to they help with that. In the summer they love helping peg it on the line.
The course would have been before EYFS came in, so I wonder if it's changed now.

Daisy1956
19-11-2009, 09:06 PM
I let mindee help with the pegs great for colour recognition , counting, matching
size etc but make sure line is out off reach and covered when not in use.

grindal
19-11-2009, 09:08 PM
I have a stick on safety catch from mothercare on my washer dryer. Its been on there for about 3 yrs now!

babs
19-11-2009, 09:11 PM

I would definitely look at some way of showing Ofsted how you protect the children and do a risk assessment which looks at worst case scenarios and says the steps you take to keep them safe.

Hth :D

when i had my inspection inspector didnt say anything about my washing machine ( dryer on top of washer )and freezer been in same room as my toys and mindee kept goin in there to play as well as sitting the inspector down and givin her pretend tea and cake.. lol...... they cant get in freezer as its a chest one and washer cant turn it on as it has a child lock built in to it which is always on even my hubby complains he cant use the washer ( but think thats just excuse )

sianyp
19-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks for all your replies. Will stick the locks on if other people's haven't melted, put it all in risk asesssment and hope for best!!