PDA

View Full Version : Is this fair?

helenlc
18-11-2009, 01:54 PM
One of my mums is supposed to be here at 8am. I have to leave at 8.10 on my school run and to pick other LOs up.

Today she wasnt here and so I text her and said I would have to leave and she would have to wait til after my school run ie I would be home at 9.10 - she is supposed to be in work at 9.

Anyway, she got her older daughter to call me (from the car) and say they were nearby and wouldnt be long. As I had already left, I met them down the road.

But we were then a few minutes late for everything ie getting my son to school (he wasnt late as such but later than he likes to be into the playground iyswim?) I was then 5 minutes late picking my 2 others up I have today and then had a rush to get them all out the car and into buggy etc at my daughters school. I was very stressed by this point and snapped at my daughter for something silly.:blush:

Do you think its fair for me to say to this mum "I have to be gone by 8.10 and if you are not here, I will meet you back here at 9.10?"

I am fed up of keep texting her or calling her as she says she is nearby when she obviously isnt as it takes her longer to get to me than it should. I appreciate that people get stuck in traffic but I dont think its fair to make my children rush to school and for my other parents to be made late for this one parent.

I know its not the right attitude but this is the baby who is leaving at Xmas anyway, so I kind of think it doesnt matter that much if I annoy her with my instruction about time.:blush: Its not as if she is going to leave because of it!!!:D

Gherkin
18-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Personally I would put a note out to all parents explaining that you have to leave at 8.10 and no later and that if the child is not there by the contracted time you will leave as your responsibility is to ensure that all other children in your care get to school etc on time.

Keep it clear short and sweet and then if they call you at 8.10 you can explain nicely that you have already left and will see them at your house at 9.10 unless they can meet you at xxx school.

That is what I would do.

Elena
18-11-2009, 02:18 PM
I guess that's what they mean when they say you give them your little finger and they end up taking your whole arm...:laughing:

Def do the letter as instructed above I might even do the same thing as I have 1 parent who doesn't quite understand that I look after other children as well as hers!

Twinkles
18-11-2009, 02:19 PM
I would say if she can't be there by 8 can she meet you in the school playground rather than having to stop on the way and delay everyone.

~Chelle~
18-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Personally, if you have warned her time and time again, I wouldnt even bother texting to see where she is and leave at 8.10am. She knows what time you have to leave and if she isnt there on time then she will have to wait!

As she is leaving at xmas anyway, I wouldnt be bothered about upsetting her.

I had this with a mum, we all wait in the car for her daughter to arrive and she was late once by 15 minutes! She lives a 2 minute drive away and said she was stuck in traffic!!!!

Told her that unless she was here by 8.30am, I would have to leave without her and she would have to catch me up at school. She works at a school about a minute away from the one that I have to go to. I have had to do this once and she met me outside and was then late for work - she hasnt been late since!

Blackhorse
18-11-2009, 02:24 PM
yes I would say if not here by x time you will leave.

she can then either meet you at this school at x time or be at your house for your return.

It isnt fair on the other kids to be late...if they are only late for the playground it might not be great for them but woudnt say its a big deal if it is only a 1 off...if it is a frequent occurence than again I would be annoyed.

cuffleygirl
18-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Before the school run or after it - simple as. Based on the above you've tried to accommodate her and it doesn't work - less stress for you and the kids don't cop it because of her. Its a school run and its your responsibility to get everyone there on time, if she's don't at yours on time she will be late for work.

helenlc
18-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the responses - just wanted to check I wasnt being unfair.

I am due to do another newsletter the beginning of December but cant wait until then.

When she collects LO today, I will say that I will see her here either before 8.10 or after 9.10 and that if she calls to say she is on her way, I cannot wait as cannot guarantee how long she is going to be. End of.

Thank you:thumbsup: