PDA

View Full Version : Have I over reacted.....please help

Elena
18-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Ok so this is the situation today.....mum turns up with her 2 children one aged 4 and one aged 3, and she was supposed to turn up at 7:30 but rocked up at 8:20am subsiquently making me late for the school run.

As she's at the door all flustered she tells me that both children were unwell over the weekend eldest had/has tonsilitis and a cough and youngest has an ear infection but they are both well enough for school. She then mentions that they have both been prescribed antibiotics and she's giving them calpol also, I told her she'd have to quickly sign for everything and I need to note times e.t.c to administer - she told me she didn't have time and ran to her car! (gobsmacked at this stage as well as a little miffed).

Eldest girl told me her throat still hurts and she's going around coughing constantly, (cough sounds really thick) youngest seems fine but keeps sneezing everywhere and catching whats shooting out of her nose (so sorry to be this graphic):eek:

I have 2 other children today and the rest of the week and don't want to spread this virus (which incidently mum has too).

I phoned mum who was on the way to uni and told her that I will not and cannot administer the medication because forms not signed e.t.c and that I think they should stay at home for the next 2 days as they do not seem over the worst of the infection (both still have half a bottle of Amoxcicilin left).

Lets just say she wasn't pleased......Have I over reacted, what would you of done?

sorry this was soooo long winded - new to this and first time i'm posting a problem....might get used to it :laughing:

It's a small world
18-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Not been minding long myself..but in my opinion I wouldn't have them either. Mum should have signed forms...and like you said you don't want to spread this virus round.All your asking her to do is take them out of your settings for a couple of days. What would she do if you were to catch this virus and be unavailable for a whole week?

Sure someone will come along with some advice for you soon.

Curly Quavers
18-11-2009, 01:36 PM
I don't think you have over reacted yes she was in a hurray today but she should have stayed to sign the forms (also you could given them extra medication) because she didn't give you proper information.

It is for HER CHILDREN'S good all these rules and procedures are in place.

sarah707
18-11-2009, 01:37 PM
You are right that you absolutely cannot under any circumstances give prescribed medication like antibiotics (or non prescribed like Calpol) without paperwork signed by parents BEFORE you give it.

That is a statutory requirement and you would be breaking the law if you did it.

If mum cannot wait until you have written out the form - I keep a pile of arriving with injury and medication forms by my door for emergencies - then she is in the wrong not you.

As far as looking after the children if they are ill, that is down to what it says in your sickness policy and really it is a personal decision.

Hth :D

Elena
18-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Thank you sooo much for your quick reply.....I thought I was doing the right thing at the time - but mum made me feel guilty as they are still attending nursery the cheek of it!:)

PaulaR
18-11-2009, 01:45 PM
i read somewhere that you can ask them to send you a detailed text message to administer medication, ie calpol, don't know about anti biotics, on the understanding that they will sign all the relevant paperwork when they pick the child up.
I have done this myself with a young mum who was at college and her son had teething pain.
But it sounds like this mum is either totally stressed out or doesn't understand your role and what you are allowed to do.
She needs to understand your sickness and illness policies

The Juggler
18-11-2009, 01:46 PM
I would have done the same. Goodness if she had all that to tell you she could hve called you to discuss it or at least rocked up early enough to explain!

PixiePetal
18-11-2009, 02:28 PM
I ask parents to write in their daily diaries of any medication needed - date, time, amount,time of last dose, etc (everything I would have in my medication book) sign it as well. They can do this while still at home if they think they will be in a hurry. I sign it too and write a note to transfer to my book which I get parent to sign on collection.

Blackhorse
18-11-2009, 02:31 PM
You are right that you absolutely cannot under any circumstances give prescribed medication like antibiotics (or non prescribed like Calpol) without paperwork signed by parents BEFORE you give it.

That is a statutory requirement and you would be breaking the law if you did it.

If mum cannot wait until you have written out the form - I keep a pile of arriving with injury and medication forms by my door for emergencies - then she is in the wrong not you.

As far as looking after the children if they are ill, that is down to what it says in your sickness policy and really it is a personal decision.

Hth :D

Sarah,
Can you pls confirm something for me..I have a consent form signe by the parents to administer non presciptive medications like calpol should they need it. I say in my policy that if LO has a high temp I will still contact the paretn an let them know about it before giving it...(was recommended by CCO to do this) but I do not get another signature off the parent as they already signed the permission form..
I do however make them sign the dosage the child has already had in the morning if any.

for presciption meds I have a form that needs to get signed PRIOR to me giving anything and I also do a form which shows what LO has had in the morning so I do not overdose

Is this ok then? the way I read your post was that we were not allowed to administer non prescibed meds in this way?>
thanks for clarifying this for me..dont want to be doing it wrong

Elena
18-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks everyone for your messages. I have a daily diary which I update and they can comment in, 9 times out of 10 mum forgets to bring it!

I have contacted mum again to fully explain again about procedures and to refer her back to my sickness procedure.

Her response was ''oh well nice easy end of the week for you then I wish my job was that easy''

Little does she know my job never ends working until 7:00pm most nights thats not even including paper work.....guess you can't please everybody.

EL xxx

Chatterbox Childcare
18-11-2009, 04:57 PM
i read somewhere that you can ask them to send you a detailed text message to administer medication, ie calpol, don't know about anti biotics, on the understanding that they will sign all the relevant paperwork when they pick the child up.
I have done this myself with a young mum who was at college and her son had teething pain.
But it sounds like this mum is either totally stressed out or doesn't understand your role and what you are allowed to do.
She needs to understand your sickness and illness policies

That is okay for Calpol but prescribed medicines NO NO NO. It has to be done before. Besides how would you know what time the last lot was administered?

Did the school send them home?

The Juggler
18-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Sarah,
Can you pls confirm something for me..I have a consent form signe by the parents to administer non presciptive medications like calpol should they need it. I say in my policy that if LO has a high temp I will still contact the paretn an let them know about it before giving it...(was recommended by CCO to do this) but I do not get another signature off the parent as they already signed the permission form..
I do however make them sign the dosage the child has already had in the morning if any.

for presciption meds I have a form that needs to get signed PRIOR to me giving anything and I also do a form which shows what LO has had in the morning so I do not overdose

Is this ok then? the way I read your post was that we were not allowed to administer non prescibed meds in this way?>
thanks for clarifying this for me..dont want to be doing it wrong

Sure Sarah will confirm with the relevant part of requirements but I know (was advised by Mrs o) that you are supposed to get parents to sign a form to say that you've given it, even with a text. They need to sign and acknowledge what time medication was given so they don't go home and overdose their child by giving next dose to early.