PDA

View Full Version : am I better off taking full maternity leave?

mozarella
18-11-2009, 08:13 AM
I was planning orginally to take 3 months off but now looking at the figures:

I work two long days per week earning £190 / week ( business didnt pick up as much as I hoped )

If i go on maternity leave I would get just under £130 maternity allowance which is not taxable + extra child benefits ( not much but still)

So am I right to think that I may as well take full maternity leave until I can get a 4 or 5 day working week

Moz

youarewhatyoueat
18-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Depends if you can risk losing the ones you have and be with nothing, have you had any enquiries recently, its hard to make the right decision without a crystal ball!!! Personally I would go with the maternity pay if its enough for you as I know how tired I am after having a baby, but then again i'm getting older, and feel 100 this morning!
Tax credits change when on maternity allowance but not sure how, i'm sure someone will be along with more helpful advice.

Louise_Oaktree
19-11-2009, 08:19 PM
I have been contemplating this over the last few months as we are currently trying for a baby and because my son is only 4 I have only ever had 2 full time places. I will currently lose £75 a week if I took maternity which seems a lot but I keep thinking if you decide to go back after a couple of months, then a child gives notice you will end up worse off in the long run wishing you had taken the maternity leave. For me the guaranteed pay for 9 months is seeming more attractive than the risk of having less or even nothing with the potential redundancy situation we are in at the moment but it is not an easy decision.