PDA

View Full Version : What do you do?

Roseolivia
18-11-2009, 08:06 AM
As everyones talking about Christmas thought i'd ask What do you all do on Christmas morning once presents are opened?
Once we've opened our presents we usually start getting dinner ready (if i'm making lunch) then we go and visit all the family to deliver gifts.

Hebs
18-11-2009, 08:19 AM
Christmas eve morning, i prepare all the veg and put the turkey in to cook REALLY slow :clapping:

Christmas day morning we get up and open presents
get ready and go to my mums for about 11am
have a 2nd christmas as they wait til my kids are there to open their presents too :p
after that we go to the local pub for an hour, one of the regulars dresses up as santa and brings a smal gift for the kids :clapping:
then it's back home (mine) for christmas lunch about 2pm

then basically just slob about for the rest of the day :clapping:

Twinkles
18-11-2009, 08:20 AM
Everyone sits on our bed to open their stockings ( bearing in mind I have 4 'children' aged between 14 and 27 :laughing: ) then downstairs to open their main pressies and off to Church.

wendywu
18-11-2009, 08:23 AM
It takes Twinkles all day to fess up her sins for the year :laughing:

Twinkles
18-11-2009, 08:25 AM
It takes Twinkles all day to fess up her sins for the year :laughing:

The Vicar's been snitching on me again hasn't he ;)

FussyElmo
18-11-2009, 08:49 AM
We get up mad rush down stairs. After opening the presents we go to church. Then after that its chill out time I refuse to get stressed over a meal. We play with the toys and probably dont get our dinner till 5pm. Most of the prep is done the day before.

Last year dh had to go work so we had dinner early at 12.30. So glad hes off this year :clapping:

PixiePetal
18-11-2009, 09:16 AM
DH sometimes has to go and milk the cows (the brothers take it in turns for BHols) so he is out and back by 8.30am.

If he milks, no presents till after that, and always stockings on our bed (need a bigger bed - kids are 13 and 15:laughing: )

Veg is prepared Christmas eve and turkey usually cooked then too. Easier as DH might have to milk again by 3.30pm and we like to eat before then.

This year will be odd and emotional too,I am sure, as we are now living in the farmhouse where DH grew up and his parents lived till they passed away 3 and 4 years ago. :( Planning to have open house for the other family members at some point over the holiday :)

LOOPYLISA
18-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Dd comes into our bed and we open stockings

Come down and see what santas left :D

Put dinner on

Chill eat, drink and be merry :clapping:

Open house from 3pm

Last year we were on the beach xmas day :clapping:

Mollymop
18-11-2009, 09:24 AM
The kids come in my room and ask if Father xmas has been (my youngest anyway) - depending on the time - if it is after 6am, we go down and open the presents.

Then we have breakfast

Then all the fun of trying to open all the boxes and take the bits and bobs out, DON'T YOU JUST HATE THAT JOB??!!

I start preparing lunch in the mean time

and then go to the cemetery to visit my Dad's grave with my mum and sister (though sometimes we do this on xmas eve)

After Lunch we play, watch xmas movies, eat and drink

After 4pm, my mum and sister come round for xmas tea and we play games, and just have fun

Mollymop
18-11-2009, 09:25 AM

Oh yeah, I remember that!

singlewiththree
18-11-2009, 09:40 AM
I'm divorced so after opening presents here the girls visit their dad for 2 hours to open presents with his family and the come back for christmas dinner. After dinner we take it turns to go round my sisters houses, this year its my mums turn I think and we have a buffet and play games :)

wendywu
18-11-2009, 10:23 AM
My two DD 16 and 20 come into our rooms and open their stockings.

Then we get up wash and dress have breakfast and then open pressies. We stop for dinner about 1.30. Then continue opening pressies. Because my two spoilt little darlings have so much that they cannot get through it all before lunch. :)

Ripeberry
18-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Christmas at our house seems to go on forever! :) On xmas eve we visit my parents 50 miles away and deliver presents, then we go to my grandparents (in their late 80s). On xmas morning the kids open half of the presents then play with them whilst I get cooking.
Husband has the job of clearing up all the wrapping paper and undoing all those ties in the packaging!
By 2pm, dinner is ready and we all sit down and pull some crackers. By 4pm it's all finished and we all clear up.
Then the kids open the rest of the presents and we chill out with some drinks.
We don't drive anywhere on Xmas day.
Boxing day, we go to MIL and have a buffet meal (usually 20 of us in house) and then we go in front room and open even MORE presents.
And then 5 days later (New Years Eve), it's my youngest daughter's birthday, so more presents......she likes Xmas :thumbsup:

LOOPYLISA
18-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Oh yeah, I remember that!

Its was lovely, but im sooooooooo looking forward to a uk xmas this year, next year we will more than likely be away :thumbsup:

~Chelle~
18-11-2009, 11:34 AM
We do the same thing every year.

Kids come into our bed and open stocking pressies.

We get washed and dressed and myself and my dad go and stick the turkey in, having prepared the veg the night before.

We all go and open pressies. In-laws turn up about 11am and give the kids even more pressies which they open. We have a light snack at about 12ish.

Serve dinner around 5ish.

Sis in laws boyfriend turns up and has his 2nd xmas dinner of the day - greedy so and so lol

Then we all chill and play games with the kids and play singstar etc.

Boxing day, we all go to the in-laws and stay there till 10pm.

Would love to have one christmas just for us and the boys, maybe go away one year and have a bit of a rest lol

LOOPYLISA
18-11-2009, 11:50 AM
We do the same thing every year.

Kids come into our bed and open stocking pressies.

We get washed and dressed and myself and my dad go and stick the turkey in, having prepared the veg the night before.

We all go and open pressies. In-laws turn up about 11am and give the kids even more pressies which they open. We have a light snack at about 12ish.

Serve dinner around 5ish.

Sis in laws boyfriend turns up and has his 2nd xmas dinner of the day - greedy so and so lol

Then we all chill and play games with the kids and play singstar etc.

Boxing day, we all go to the in-laws and stay there till 10pm.

Would love to have one christmas just for us and the boys, maybe go away one year and have a bit of a rest lol

We have said this year its just me hubs and dd til 3ish, then everyone else can pop in, otherwise its hectic, you won't regret going away, its different but lovely :thumbsup:

ajs
18-11-2009, 12:26 PM
last year we were away at friends it wasn't the same i like to be at home, and doing our thing

mine are all teenagers so we don't have the early morning problem, we will probably be up by 9 though and open a few presents then it's smoked salmon and champagne for breakfast and i put the turkey in
more presents then relax and watch tv lunch then probably a short walk then back to tv and more food. we have told friends that have no local family that they are more than welcome to pop in if they are getting cabin fever but usually it's just us.

daisyboo1980
18-11-2009, 12:32 PM
this year i will be visiting partners family on christmas eve thats when the celebrate there christmas presents and santa he is portuguese
normally we go to my sisters in the morning to see wat santa has left the kids and then i go down to mums for food after i drop everyone home my best friend and her partner arrive for drinks and games

this year its all up in the air as my gran had heart failure 9 weeks ago and is just out of hospital , she not allowed upstairs or anything the last time she was out was coming home from hospital 3 weeks ago

im the only one that has a downstairs loo and a large living room, kitchen so there is talk abt everyone coming here, sis , bro in law leave with the kids and have lunch on their own like normal

but im not cooking no way lol but dont really no yet as mum says its to early to think abt x mas :panic:

katickles
18-11-2009, 12:46 PM

SNAP!!:laughing: Also like you said on your later post - I am really looking forward to being here for christmas this year, but we have talked about next year going away.............................we'll see:)

Not sure what this year will bring really. I can not wait as our eldest will be 21months & really have some idea whats going on - she's so animated I can not wait to see her face when she see's all her pressis:D

Also we have our baby who will already be 8 months :( (Its going far to fast!!) so it will be so special it being her first xmas.

We are having our very first xmas at home on our own - so not such a big christmas dinner will be needed. We usually go to my parents or they have been to us in the past aswell.

I guess most of the day will be spent playing with all the new toys with the girls & sorting dinner - lots of eating!!! A few family will call in to.

Alibali
18-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Pile onto our bed for stocking opening, then downstairs to see the ridiculous heap of gifts for the kids.

Then off to Church, visit the side of the family who aren't coming to ours that year (we alternate), a wee drink there. Then back to ours, I'll start on dinner, with a wee glass of wine, people arrive around 2, a wee drink or two then and by the time we eat around 4ish it doesn't matter what it tastes like iyswim hic!!!

edayhouse
18-11-2009, 01:52 PM
Well on Xmas eve i will get most of the vegetables prepared, start on dessert, make shortbread with my boys etc...late afternoon we will go to a Xmas eve service with my boys (aged nearly 5 and 3 and a half)
Early to bed for santa coming
In the morning hubbie and i are awake and we go through to see the boys - they will be so excited, we open up there stockings and see what Santa has left, santa always leaves a small gift, apple, orange,chocolate coins and socks in the stocking - we head downstairs and open all of Santa presents
we then have breakfast and open under tree pressies.

Off to Husbands parents to have nibbles around 12 noon and for the boys to get more presents

head home and start eating turkey etc around 3pm, this goes on for a while...
might go for a walk after food
play with toys etc

Oh how i love Christmas!

madasahatter
18-11-2009, 02:36 PM
DS opens his stocking as soon as he wakes up. All the presents under the tree stay there until breakfast time. My mum and dad come for champagne breakfast and present opening (they live within walking distance!) then depending on who is hosting the Xmas meal we go there at around 11.30ish. DH has 3 sisters so we take it in turns to host Christmas (for 17 to 20 people!!!).
This years Xmas lunch will be a pretty quiet affair as we're going to my mum and dad's so only 9 of us. Great that they are within walking distance as both me and DH can have a drink or two!!!

nannymcflea
18-11-2009, 07:14 PM
At home,just the 4 of us in our new house. Kids will be up at the crack of dawn no doubt to open stockings on the end of their beds. Anytime after 6 we will all get up.:eek:

E doesn't believe any more but A will be excited to see what gift the red man has given, along with ours!

Then it's an unwrapping frenzie then breckie.....and a doze for me and hubby!

Will see family when we go to visit, the 28th we are thinking.

CherryBlossom
19-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Now i am all grown up lol I will be waking up in my own lovely house with oh and our 3 children (2 cats 1 dog).
I think we will get up and have a glass of bucks fizz..although its just hit me I have to drive this year!!! Nooooo-can't have Xmas day without a drink!
May have to try and rearrange this lol.

Well, carrying on the plan was to open our presents, then about lunchtime drive to my Dads in Kent-I have never driven on the motorway so am so scared. Have lunch and pressies at my Dads and then come home in the evening.

Which means i cant relax and have a drink allllllll day, so may end up staying over night-which didn't really want to do!

xx

helenlc
19-11-2009, 05:35 PM
My children (aged 9, 11 and 36 (DH!)) wake up terribly early!! We come downstairs and open pressies. Eat selection box contents for breakfast!! (Something me and my brother did when we were little!)

Get dressed into Xmas outfit they received as a present - got my daughters today!

MIL and FIL usually visit on the way to the crematorium, but we are going to my SILs for Xmas Day, so they might not come down.

We pop into my Aunts and see my family to exchange presents.

Then dinner and slob out for afternoon - always have a game of Trivial Pursuit, pausing only for Eastenders!

Not sure what we are doing Boxing Day yet.

Last Xmas we were at my Dads in South Carolina!! Will be a bit colder here this year!!:laughing:

Minstrel
19-11-2009, 06:12 PM
This year its a quiet affair.

Christmas morning up early (boys will be 6 and 3) open stockings on our bed.

One of us goes down to get the camcorder ready :thumbsup: then we all go down to see what father christmas has left.

My parents and brother usually come to us for breakfast and exchange presents.

This year it will be just us for lunch and evening is spent playing with new toys and board games.

Boxing day we are off to MIL's for buffet lunch. Will leave by 3pm at the latest.

Then i have to come home pack a suitcase, say goodbye to my DF and sons and head off to my parents for the night.

Then wake up on Sunday 27th Dec and get married :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Daisy1956
19-11-2009, 09:16 PM
Get up about 10am have a leisurly breakfast by which time children have arrived Children are 30 and 27 but never grow up)then we all go mad opening all our presents together. Then we all calm down and make the Christmas dinner together eat it when ready later unable to move we chill until dog decides he needs a walk. This year will be different we are grandparents and will be visiting on Chrismas day we are really looking forward to this although it will be a very different Day I know we will love it

babs
19-11-2009, 09:28 PM
xmas eve prepare veg and put turkey in then go out with hubby as hes a dj and does a kiddies xmas party at a local pub every year, which is nice cause we have seen alot of the kids grow from babys... back home rd midnight,once sons in bed even now at nearly 18 get presents out for morning remembering to put one on sons bed so when he wakes up he has something to open i didnt do this when he was 14 and the following year asked my why as he now knows its me that does it. christmas mornin not early any more come downstairs open prezzies then breakfast come lunch, then hubby opens bottle of sherry so hes asleep before titanic comes on, he usally wakes up as its goin off then we have christmas dinner before my sister turns up and her kids open their presents here then we play games and relax throw few nibbles together to eat if needed.... normally go to bed early hours of boxin day, then off to sister to do it all over again .....

amanda1309
19-11-2009, 09:52 PM
we get up about 8ish might be earlier this year but hannah likes her sleep. lol
Open all our presents have breakfast then into our xmas outfits. Then up to my sister in Whitburn for the rest of the day.
My mam and brother will also be there for lunch. Then out to pick up my grandparents so we can all have tea together. Then back home 7-8ish. Bed.
Then up for tea at our house on boxing day.