PDA

View Full Version : its a problem

disney
03-03-2008, 09:19 PM
before i was a childminder i worked in a nursery , to the problem i worked with a lovely girl who wants me to look after her 4year old . but after having him a few times just after school even for one hour he seems to some how make my other children misbehave .

normally my after school children are tired and are happy to read a book , watch tv or do some drawing , a table activity and sit at the table were they have a drink &some thing to eat .but every time i have this little one they run around the house and shout .

the hard part is its only after school and for £18.00 , but dont know what i would say to mum . i dont want to upset her i only had him because she is a friend he is due to start in april . :idea: x

sarah707
03-03-2008, 09:33 PM
It is a real worry to get the mix right with after schoolers... if you have one who is high, it can upset the whole lot of them and with you cooking tea, you would just be frantic.

I would tell her sorry but you are hanging out for a full timer or something similiar... and hope she doesn't get too upset with you.

Good luck! :D

Annie_T
04-03-2008, 12:05 AM
oh dear ... mayb you need try work out waht makes him tick and then hopefully you be able to sort him out and the others will be quite littl emites hehe

i this to yet come

helenlouise
04-03-2008, 06:27 AM
Tricky one this as could upset a friend.

I would give it a little longer see if he settles down otherwise you'll just have to say it isn't working.
Good luck.

miffy
04-03-2008, 07:08 AM
It's early days and maybe he is just excited having other children to play with

Do you know what his interests are - if he liked lego or something similar then that is a fairly quiet activity

Perhaps a chat with mum about how things are going will help you make your mind up

Good luck

Miffy xx

disney
04-03-2008, 11:15 AM
think that may be after seeing him this morning at school would be better if ididnt have him , he came to school this morning alone ran of from his nanna . this is bad for my kids i think :panic: would you think it best to tell the truth or would you say that i need the place for a full timer x

yummymummy
04-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Thats a hard one. I am a coward and hate confrontation so I would probably tell a little white lie! If you can handle it, honesty is always the best policy! Do you think if you tell a fib mum may find out?
If i've ever had to let anyone down I try to find alternative childcare options for them to sugar the pill! ;)

susi513
04-03-2008, 12:58 PM
If you say you need the place for a full timer she might want to hang on to the place until someone else starts.

Its harder to say to the parent, but might be better to be closer to the truth and say hes not settling in as well as you'd hoped and you feel he might well get along much better in a different setting with a different mix of children. You could have a chat with the mum (to give her a chance to make any suggestions about what he does at home etc) and set a time period by which if you don't see an improvement you'll have to give notice.

I would say that, as much as you don't want to disappoint your friend, you have to do whats in the best interests of the child and you're not the sort of person to pretend things are going well when they're not.

I had something similar - I found separating the children to get the others settled in a craft activity or board game while he was out of the room helped - when he came back with me he'd want to join in (sometimes) instead of causing mischief. Or he'd get on with playing with duplo on his own. Eg sending him up to wc first when we come in from school (have a few that change out of their uniform when we come in).

good luck

disney
04-03-2008, 01:45 PM
well i suppose i will have to give him a try as at the moment hes just been coming for settling in periods only and when he does start in april he will be on a months trial . i just thought that may be it would be best to end it before it started so as not upset her plans later . as for finding him some other child care i would love to but i am close to the small amount of minders in our tiny little village and i do have a problem with lies and my honesty usually get me in some trouble . also if i tell a lie i go like this :blush: x

disney
05-03-2008, 04:38 PM
just to let you no that mum has just told me that she will not be going to work now after all as she has just found out she is 4 months pregnant and has had a few complications and so doctor as advised her not to go work , so good news for me as i will not need to have him now . but i do hope mum is ok . and at least i didnt have to upset her x

Polly2
05-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Oh good news then - it got sorted for you after all.

Sorry bit late reading this one.

xx

wendywu
05-03-2008, 05:03 PM
See disney there is a god:littleangel:

Clever Clogs
05-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Glad you got it sorted out. Only just read your post so was getting ready to reply when seen your further post. You must be feeling relieved now - at least you don't have to tell any little white lies.

Tracey

disney
06-03-2008, 03:00 PM
yes wendywu

disney
06-03-2008, 03:01 PM
yes wendywu

sometimes thing work out ok in the end , the trouble is with this job is when one problem gets sorted theirs always another one waiting to get me . :panic: and if you look around the forum you will see some of mine ,well yoy cant win um all x

fionamal
06-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Im glad it all got sorted out in the end and you didnt need to confront your friend

miffy
06-03-2008, 05:00 PM
There you are all that worry and it's turned out OK in the end

I'm so pleased you didn't have to choose between telling a white lie or upsetting mum

Miffy xx

deeb66
08-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Glad you got it all sorted :thumbsup:

angeldelight
18-03-2008, 10:23 PM
Glad you got this sorted

Hope you have some more calls soon

Angel xx

Tily Bud
18-03-2008, 10:28 PM
alls well that ends well xx