PDA

View Full Version : impetigo????

LittleStar's
16-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Hi Mindee is 12 months and came earlier than usual this morning, has been here since 7.

He had hiss MMR on wednesday and has had a bad raction with his eczema
he has red dry spots all over him especially his face.

Dad said the doctor had given some cream to use as he is worried it may turn into impetigo.

Im just really worried cos I have 2 daughters age 4 and 18mnth , my lo is all over him as they are at that age and worried that they will catch it .

Should I have said something ????

Chatterbox Childcare
16-11-2009, 08:31 AM
If he hasn't got it they how can they catch it? If the doctor has issued the antic baterial cream then I would be surprised if it came at all.

LittleStar's
16-11-2009, 09:05 AM
I was just worried that we wouldnt know if he had it or not. But your right he probably wont get it if they have been using the cream. Just over reacting!!!

Thankyou x

sarah707
16-11-2009, 09:26 AM
You will know if it turns to impetigo - it will crust and be very red, spotty and angry.

It is different from eczema as it is an infection.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=impetigo&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=

If parents have been given Fucidin to use, it will help make sure the skin doesn't get infected.

Ds used to react to injections with flare ups of eczema so I do sympathise.

Keep him well hydrated - both internally with lots of drink and externally with his emollient cream and if the skin starts to crust, then you need to consider exclusion until he gets on antibiotics.

I would wear gloves or put emollient on with a very soft flannel if you are concerned about it... just for your own peace of mind.

Continue with your cross contamination good practice anyway and wash anything he plays with as you normally would - no need to do anything different.

hth :D

LittleStar's
16-11-2009, 09:36 AM
Thankyou Sarah thats a great help x x

The Juggler
16-11-2009, 01:50 PM
we have to do this all the time my ds 10 has a patch on his chin that always goes red, then dry and then can turn to impetigo if we don't use a steroid on it to clear it up.

As Sarah said you'll recognise the impetigo - as well as red it weeps and crusts honey colour liquid. Big smear of vaseline in between the cream from docs wouldnt' go amiss either to keep it hydrated.