PDA

View Full Version : Playwork principles

youarewhatyoueat
15-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Went to a meeting this weekend and it was pointed out to us that when having afterschool children and children in the eyfs we should be working to the playwork principles. Ofsted are picking up on this in inspections and it is not just for after school clubs etc.
I was given a document on the playwork principles unfortunately I can't scan it in but have found this which is interesting and has a link to the latest ofsted report on playwork. http://www.skillsactive.com/resources/news/play-guidance-published-by-ofsted
This report is mainly aimed at clubs but SkillsActive are putting together issues to bring up with ofsted if anyone has been unfairly inspected when registered on both registers which includes play provision in the eyfs.
Personally i'm adding the playwork units to my nvq3, and am researching more about the playwork principles working with children also in the eyfs.
It may be of use to mention that you work to the playwork principles when being inspected.Has anyone been picked up on this? as to be honest I hadn't come across this problem before.

The Juggler
16-11-2009, 07:18 AM
thanks. haven't had a read yet but would be interesting to see if this contradicts the advice given by an inspector at the Nursery world conference (which Sarah Posted) about simply offering care, rest and play after school for wraparound children.

sarah707
16-11-2009, 07:32 AM
That's really interesting and not something I've heard of before.

Playwork is very different from childminding... I wonder how hard it would be to combine the 2??

I am inspired to go and research :D

Pipsqueak
16-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Play England (google that phase) have lots of information. (I am sure there are links to Play ..other country... as well)

We were on a course a couple of weeks ago and we discussed Play Principles, the bloke (from Play England) said tht the EYFS goes against Play Princiiples but I personally don't think it does - he admitted he did not understand EYFS and I said it can be combined well enough as EYFS is play based.

http://www.playengland.org.uk/Page.asp

The Juggler
16-11-2009, 01:51 PM
That's really interesting and not something I've heard of before.

Playwork is very different from childminding... I wonder how hard it would be to combine the 2??

I am inspired to go and research :D

Think it it's the way that Ofsted have tried to incorporate the EYFS for the rising 5's who attend after school and breakfast clubs, they are using the playwork principles for them to deliver the EYFS. Not sure though..

teacake2
16-11-2009, 02:20 PM
I am currently doing a level 3 in playwork and my tutor keeps telling me to link the EYFS into it as well because the ages taken into consideration on the course I am doing is from 4, so included in the EYFS up to 17.
Teacake2

Chatterbox Childcare
16-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Apparantly CACHE are introducing a Playwork for nurseries and childminders, both different so that it compliments a level 3 qualification and runs along side it.

Ours is starting next year

jumpinjen
16-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Here is the link for playwork principles....

www.skillsactive.com/playwork/principles

I have always worked hard to provide quality play for school children (when I had them), but I had never considered that I could be 'marked down' for what i do with them... I shall read this with interest!

jenni:)

Blaze
23-11-2009, 07:46 PM
I have just started doing a level 3 playwork qualification - it's 2 extension modules of the DHC / NVQ...have learnt alot already & it's very interesting. It's compatable with EYFS - but practitions need to be aware that there is compromise involved as playwork is different to childcare - as with everything it's a balance.:)

Alz
23-11-2009, 08:13 PM
This is interesting...

Do you think it's advisable for childminders to take a playworks qualification?

Going to look now to see if my LEA do a course!?