PDA

View Full Version : Dilema...Suggestions Please

helenlc
15-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Tomorrow, I will have a 2 yr old, 18 month old and 10 month old.

At 1pm I have a lady coming to see me with a 4 month old baby that she might want me to have.

At that time, my 18 month old mindee will be in bed. I normally go and check on her quite regularly while she has her 2 hour sleep.

The 10 month old is not quite in a routine yet so might be asleep or might be awake and playing and crawling around etc.

The 2 yr old will be awake and playing.

I am literally a minute or so checking the 18 mth old, so the others are fine - currently have gate on front room and another on stairs anyway.

My dilema is this:

When I go to check the 18 mth old, do I leave the others as normal even though the lady will be here and in the front room with them?

I could carry the baby with me and then take the 2 yr old and have her sit at the bottom of the stairs (where I would be able to see her as door to room where 18 mth old sleeps is literally at the top of the stairs)?

I still want and need to check on the sleeping one and dont want the lady thinking that I dont check children while they're sleeping anyway.

But nor do I want her to think that, should her LO come here, that I will leave HER baby in a room with a stranger if I have a visitor and need to leave the room.

Do you see what I mean or am I just being paranoid???:blush:

flora
15-11-2009, 09:46 PM
It is a pain, but you can't leave the mindees alone with her :thumbsup:

You will have to take them with you :thumbsup:

Zoomie
15-11-2009, 09:59 PM
You could ask the mum to come half way up the stairs (or somewhere where you can see her) whilst you check on baby. That way mindees can carry on playing, but you aren't leaving them with the 'stranger'.

tashaleee
15-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Sorry but if you leave the room you would have to take the mindees with you - you also have to think if she has her 4 month old and you left the room what if one of your mindees touched the baby as she is not responsible for stopping them.....

Hope all goes well with the meeting :)

nokidshere
15-11-2009, 11:29 PM
Why don't you just check on baby before she arrives and again when she leaves? And have a monitor in the baby's room?

mushpea
16-11-2009, 06:58 AM
you could explain to the lady that you pop up and check the sleeping one and invite her to quietly go with you to see the sleeping area, or you could put the 18month in a puschair either in a room downstairs or in the garden to sleep, as long as they are wrapped up they will be fine and the fresh air will do them good or keep the 18 month old up till she goes.

moogster1a
16-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Unless you live in the equivalent of the palace of versailles and have to make your way to the east wing to check on the baby, I assume it takes about 10 seconds to check. if I was the parent I'd be insulted that I couldn't be left that long with the others. What are you implying might happen? the others will be in earshot in that few seconds so what's the problem? Children are left for a few seconds by themselves. I'm sure she'll understand that. In fact, they're not being left alone, they're being left with a responsile adult ( the other parent )

sarah707
16-11-2009, 08:04 AM
You are not legally allowed to leave minded children alone with other adults... whoever they are.

This includes Ofsted inspectors!

I hope the interview goes well :D

helenlc
16-11-2009, 08:10 AM
You are not legally allowed to leave minded children alone with other adults... whoever they are.

This is what I was getting at Sarah!

I dont want her to think that I would leave her baby with whoever was visiting me, regardless of who they are.

I am not being paranoid but being a parent doesnt make somebody trust worthy - I am not insinuating anything will happen but just want to cover myself.

Thanks for all the advice

moogster1a
16-11-2009, 08:17 AM
of course you're allowed to leave children for a few seconds. Don't let's misinterpret the guidelines to go along with the ridiculous culture of not putting any trust in any adults. The regulations are that the children have to be within eye or earshot at all times.

PixiePetal
16-11-2009, 09:12 AM
I would go with sitting one at the bottom of the stairs if you can still see them, and taking other up to check - or take them both :)

jelly15
16-11-2009, 11:31 AM
I think it is agood idea to take the lady up with you and she can see the sleeping area .

AliceK
16-11-2009, 02:04 PM

:eek: :eek: I didn't know this. I assumed as they are CRB checked it would be OK for a few seconds / minute if you had to pop out of the room.

xxxxx

helenlc
16-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Well, I didnt need the suggestions after all as Mum didnt come as she has decided to get a nanny instead.:(

I feel gutted as I would have loved a little baby mindee and it would have fitted in perfectly with my 10 mth old leaving at Xmas. Never mind.

Thanks anyway for the suggestions though!!:D