PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help with a few questions?

JennyM
15-11-2009, 09:38 PM
I have my pre-reg visit in under two weeks and I am trying to get on with a risk assessment of my home. I have a few questions, if anyone could help I'd be really grateful.

In my toilet I have a toilet brush - will I need to get rid of this?

There are alot of cables/wires behind my TV. What do I do about these? Also the wires leading from the side of the sofa to the plugs behind the TV.

My TV cabinet - it is low down and contains my DVD/Wii etc. I don't want to have to drill into it or anything but will I have to?

Thanks so much in advance, there is SO much to think about!!

Chatterbox Childcare
16-11-2009, 08:22 AM
Are the wires a danger to crawling children? if so how do you reduce the risk of them hurting themselves?

Go around your room on your knees like a baby and you will see the dangers. I know that sometimes we do not want to change things, but if it is for the safety of a child then we have too.

naomiesian
16-11-2009, 08:51 AM
hi hun, had my pre reg visit about 7 weeks ago and didn`t have any problems, so dont panic this inspection is more about them helping you. Put the toilet brush up out the way of the children, the lady from ofsted told me this is the most common thing people forget to do. All my wires are behind my tv cabinet and nothing was said about them but I`ve still bought one of those cable tidy`s for my own peice of mind, if poss can you tuck the wires leading from the sofa to your tv under the carpet or tack them along the skirting boards so they are safe and tidy, you could even put the wires in a cable tidy and just tack it to your wall, my tv is also on a low cabinet and boast my dvd, sky box and wii and I have covered this in my risk assessment and Ofsted said this was fine, good luck hun xxx

JennyM
16-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks very much for your help. I am going to get one of those cable tidies as the wires are a mess and I can't really hoover behind the TV with them so they need to be tidied up and obviously they will be alot safer that way!

naiomesian, what did you put in your risk assessment for the tv cabinet? Did you put that you are going to make it safe or just not allow the children to open it?
I have a piece of string around the handles at the moment which was to stop my daughter from opening it (she doesn't every try to anymore) but I'm guessing this method wouldn't be Ofsted approved!!;)

mama2three
16-11-2009, 01:32 PM
If theres nothing that will actually be a risk to the child in the cabinet then they wont have a problem with a bit of string. my stereo cupboard has a hair scrunchy around the handles. theres nothing in there that would hurt them , but i dont want all dh's records broken. If there is something dangerous in there ( not sure what would be but anyway!?) then it needs a childproof lock. Great risk assessment templates on gloucestershire website and bromley too. Links are in the risk assessment forum .

JennyM
16-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks, there isn't anything dangerous but as you say, I don't want the things in there to be broken!

I have found those templates and I'm working on them now, there is so much to think about and do!!

naomiesian
17-11-2009, 08:12 AM
Thanks very much for your help. I am going to get one of those cable tidies as the wires are a mess and I can't really hoover behind the TV with them so they need to be tidied up and obviously they will be alot safer that way!

naiomesian, what did you put in your risk assessment for the tv cabinet? Did you put that you are going to make it safe or just not allow the children to open it?
I have a piece of string around the handles at the moment which was to stop my daughter from opening it (she doesn't every try to anymore) but I'm guessing this method wouldn't be Ofsted approved!!;)

I stated in my risk assessment that my tv cabinet was low risk as there isn`t anything in there that would harm the children, but as I didn`t want buttons pressed and the risk of my things being damaged I would buy a safety catch so that the children would not be able to get in there, I also told ofsted that my own dd knows that she isn`t allowed to open the doors or drawer to the cabinet and this rule would also apply to children in my care, I also put it on my house rules poster, so children and their parents will be aware. Hope that helps hun xx

sweets
17-11-2009, 08:49 AM
i had a low tv cabinet with open shelves and it was a nighmare with a crawling baby. i bought a new high one with closed doors and put it through my books!